Contribute
Register

[Solved] Having a terrible time with this... Help! Bootaf: error etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
z370 msi sli plus
CPU
Graphics
SOLVED

Hey there
, thanks for seeing my struggles. This is my first time Hacking! I'm trying to get OSX High Sierra 10.13.2 on my desktop. I've bought a new MSI Mobo (in description) and an i5 8600k and also kept my 770. Checking and seeing that all parts are in the green This should work right? Also, this Install is going on a Samsung 840 Evo 1TB

Using a 13" MBP with the source High Sierra file to upload to the installer for the bootable USB.

Ive done about 3 different ways around 20 times and nothing is working.
I'm having some serious Problems!

I have 2 USB drives 16GB and 32GB that I'm trying different methods with:

Method 1:
Unibeast in UEFI (at first) would not complete installation because the Plist could not be modified. And I got another error for another file as well. After about 5 times trying it seems to be successful with the install on the USB.

I've followed the guides on YT and read the guides on here and I'm coming up with Boot0af: error.

Method 2:
Unibeast in legacy mode comes to the same results as I'm getting Missing Operating System. Or another time where I get to a blue screen with text and I have no options to select.

Method 3:
Using Clover and going through about 3-5 youtubers guides on getting it to run. Alls I get is "Press any Key to boot from USB"
And with a wired keyboard mashing every button, nothing happens from this. Even with all their "modified files and different presets" during installation of the USB drive. Nothin....:thumbdown

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, in my MSI bios there is UEFI + Legacy options and I've gone ahead to just use refi, and its just going straight to the Bios after restart, and when UEFI + Legacy are on I get the above problems.

The Boot order I have has a UEFI USB KEY as first and a USB KEY as second. When I plug the usb in the Mobo recognizes the USB as a regular key not UEFI key. So I'm beginning to understand that the USB is not being created as a UEFI?

I have no idea at this point, everyone makes it look so easy in the videos and no success.:banghead:

If you guys have any idea what's going on. Please I need your help!
Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 5.02.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 5.02.35 AM.png

Last edited:
First bit of advice. Do not follow Youtube video guides for the install, 95% of them are incomplete and inaccurate. They will create more problems when you mix different guides. To make your Unibeast installer the HS installer should be in applications, not on your desktop. You should always make your installer for UEFI booting instead of legacy.

There aren't any Z370 MSI guides yet in HS Desktop Guides. You can still read the guides for other brands of motherboards to learn the general process for Z370 builds.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/search/34805585/?q=Z370&o=date&c[node]=191

Trs thank you for giving the heads up man ! and I see.

I'm going to try and put the installers in my applications folder tomorrow, (6AM right now) and see how that runs, but I'm gonna assume it's gonna be the same.

I chose the motherboard off the Compatability section of the forum (or otherwise called something different.) and chose based on price.

Legacy was only a last resort, nothing is working and I'm getting kind of bummed that I saved a lot for this to happen. I hope some support comes out, otherwise I'm gonna be stuck in the water with a 8gb 2.2ghz MBP for Logic Pro :/

If anyone else has advise please chime in!

*Edit:
SO i ended up relocating the unibeast into applications, reran the install and got this:

Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 7.09.29 AM.png

Rip :(

*Update Im reading the user fix guide on this:

sudo diskutil partitionDisk USB-Device GPT JHFS+ VOLUME-NAME R

Replace USB-Device with the device name of your destination volume, i.e. /dev/disk2
Replace VOLUME-NAME with the volume name you want.

will get back shortly

*update: am i doing this right?

Edit*

Went into disk utility, found that you have to be viewing ALL devices. Then on the master device erase that to get the selection correct in formatting the USB.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 8.31.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 8.31.35 AM.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Okay, Im a dumb dumb. I wasn't formatting my USB to GUID partition scheme because in OS High Sierra they option to see the master drives is turned off by default and you can't see the drive scheme.

SOLVED. installed on Mac SSD and BOOM Worked!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back