Contribute
Register

SOLVED: Handbrake encoding Really Slow in macOS Hackintosh but Fast in Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H (F7)
CPU
i7-4790S
Graphics
HD 4600
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
- macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
- Handbrake v1.1.2
- Intel HD4000 internal graphics (no additional Graphics Card installed)

Hi Peeps..
so I have a small Bluray collection but I rarely use my Bluray player (mainly because my TV's HDMI ports are all used up by my PC, Chromecast and FireStick) so recently, I started ripping my collection to my hard drive in uncompressed .MKV format.

Afterwards, I would load the uncompressed .mkv rips into Handbrake and compress/encode the movies to HEVC H.265 .mkv format which looks great and gets the file down between 3-4GB (i keep all the audios and all subtitles) however after Man Of Steel was taking over 2 days to complete, I decided to trouble shoot the issue.

I was already using a custom SSDT for Power Management however I created that a long time ago when Mavericks was the latest macOS so I forgot how to test the thing. I ended up removing my old SSDT, rebooted and created a new one using Piker Alpha's ssdtPRGen script and that worked as advertised.

I then tested my Power Management and achieved all of my P-States from 16 through to 44 so I was happy Power Management was working.
Code:
CPU P-States (16) 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ]

I tried another encode and monitored my CPU behaviour with Intel Power Gadget however my CPU frequency was not ramping up, it was just staying at a low base frequency and the encode had an Estimate End Time of 38hrs , no good.

I then switched my dual boot to Windows 10 to see how Handbrake would behave in the Windows OS. After starting an encode at 11pm and seeing Intel Power Gadget working over 90% , I went to bed and left it running over night. The next morning I discovered the encode was complete and the Handbrake Log showed it had completed in 6hrs and 48mins.

macOS is my daily driver but I will be sticking to overnight encodings in Windows 10 for the foreseeable unless anybody else has a solutions for the macOS side. I'd be interested in your thoughts..?

Last edited:
Solved :thumbup:

After updating to macOS Mojave and getting my Power Management SSDT working for Intel Speed Step, Handbrake is now running at full speed just like in Windows 10.

When I first launched Handbrake in Mojave, there was an available Update pop up so I ran the update and now everything is fine. I am on Handbrake ver. 1.1.2 so it is possible that I was running an older version than i listed in my previous post.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back