i7-4770K
Graphics
GTX 770 4 GB
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello!

I witnessed some unexpected shutdowns from my Hackintosh yesterday.
Temps were unusually hot (between 27° and 30° C in my room).
When I checked HWMonitor on startup, CPU temps were near 90° C on the CPU. It shutdown itself a few minutes (seconds) after.

Today the weather is back to normal and when I started the computer, CPU were around 50° C. I went out for a cigarette and when I went back, computer was off again.

I read on 2 or 3 posts that changing the thermal paste was not changing anything, so I wonder if it's worth it.

Especially since my Hackintosh has always been kind of noisy despite having Corsair H60 watercooling.

So I was thinking about updating to Corsair H100i watercooling.

What do you guys think about my problem ?

Thanks in advance!

Hackintosh CPU Overheating

Water cooling is not really that effective until you get up to 240mm radiators. That 60 is really ineffective.

A good air cooler almost always is equal to or out performs those Corsair coolers and is less expensive and never prone to leaks.

I am running a $30 120mm air cooler on a 4790K over clocked to 4.60 GHz. Sitting at about 27-30C at idle right now with ambient air at about 24C. It rarely goes above 70C when working hard rendering photos on Adobe Lightroom 6.

Thank you for your answer.

So I just bought a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, we'll see if it's enough.

Hello again,

so I just received my Cooler Master, installed it with the extra fan from my H60 and now when I try to start the computer, it automatically turns off.

I don't see what I've been doing wrong, I followed installation instructions step by step and everything seemed fine but computer only start for half a second.

During that time both fans are running.

Do you have any idea what can be wrong ?

Thank you!

I read on 2 or 3 posts that changing the thermal paste was not changing anything, so I wonder if it's worth it.

Definitely yes.

If you have been using the remnants of old paste / have not applied fresh, then that may well be your problem.

Thanks for your answer.

I cleaned the old paste a replaced it. I also don't hear any beep.

Hello again,

so I just received my Cooler Master, installed it with the extra fan from my H60 and now when I try to start the computer, it automatically turns off.

I don't see what I've been doing wrong, I followed installation instructions step by step and everything seemed fine but computer only start for half a second.

During that time both fans are running.

Do you have any idea what can be wrong ?

Thank you!
Taking both symptoms together [prior over heating and now Immediate shut down (power off) ]bring up other hardware issues in the diagnosis. If you have not forgotten to plug in the CPU Power plug , or made any lose cable connection or disturbed the RAM from the socket and don't doubt the health of the PSU, problem with the MoBO is a possibility because you also said no Beep from the BIOS. Failure of Power Good signal is the basic problem I guess and we need to find its cause.

How old is your motherboard? Any recent Power Surges , lightning etc in the area?

I reseted the CMOS but same problem.

For the MoBo, I don't think there is a problem with it, when the CPU was overheating I didn't noticed any problem in the computer, it was working nicely.

No lightning where I am since the computer is here.

Power surge I don't know but I don't think so.

This computer was built approx a year and a half ago. CPU Cooler is my first hardware replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back