Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Hackintosh 960 EVO NVMe SSD (MSI Z170 M5, i7-6700K, GTX1050ti)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z170A Gaming M5
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi,

it's my first Hackintosh and so far I've come pretty close to setting up my first Hackintosh properly. I got it running with an Nvidia GTX 1050ti from an old SATA HDD. But I've run into problems when setting it up or changing it to boot off a Samsung 960 EVO NVMe SSD. I suppose for a "first-timer" it's quite a challenging task I set myself :). Anyway I would appreciate any help.

First my setup:

Motherboard: MSI Z170 Gaming M5 (BIOS version 1E, which seems to be the latest version)
CPU: i7-6700K
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3000 (running at 2133 according to BIOS which I just left at default)
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB
HDD: 2.5" 320GB (don't know which speed, but slow)
Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti 4GB

What I did:

Version A (without the Nvidia GTX 1050ti, using only the Intel Graphics):

1. Use Unibeast to create a bootable Clover USB-Stick

2. placed IONVMeFamily.kext into Clover/kexts/other at EFI partition of USB

3. added Pike R. Alpha's addition to the config.plist at EFI partition of USB

4. booted of the USB-Stick (sometimes I had to restart but most of the time it just went well) plugged into USB 2.0 Port (I also tried the USB-ports at the motherboard which are all defined as USB 3 and it most of the time didn't even start the macOS )

5. Used Disc Utility to erase the 960 EVO – which with the above shows up properly –

6. Install macOS Sierra onto 960 EVO SSD and restarted

7. once again boot from USB and select 960 EVO > boots into final steps of installation (user-name, etc.)

8. Start Multibeast to start post-installation with the following settings:

- Quick Start
- UEFI Boot Mode
- Drivers:
- Audio > ALC1150 (Audio worked fine with the initially mentioned installation at SATA HDD)
- Network > AtherosE2200Ethernet (don't know if it's necessary, LAN seemed to work OOB)

9. mounted EFI partition of 960 EVO SSD and added Pike R. Alpha's patch to the config.plist (otherwise I would start at all – or maybe here is the mistake?!) > also added IONVMeFamily.kext into EFI/Clover/kexts/other

10. Booted from 960 EVO SSD > Clover shows as it should

11. Boot process starts properly but just stops at one point. I booted in verbose mode to make a photo of where it stops (see image attached)

Maybe someone immediately recognizes my error or is able to read between the lines of the verbose-mode image?!

What has (mostly) worked so far (up to the point to boot from the SSD):

Version B (with Nvidia GPU installed):

1. Use Unibeast to create a bootable Clover USB-Stick

2. Use Disc Utility to erase the HDD (SSD not shown)

3. install macOS Sierra onto SATA HDD

4. boot from USB and start macOS from HDD

5. Start Multibeast to start post-installation with the following settings:

- Quick Start
- Legacy Boot Mode (according to Fresh Tech Canada's Youtube Video this is the way to get this motherboard running with the Nvidia Pascal)
- Drivers:
- Audio > ALC1150 (Audio worked fine with the initially mentioned installation at SATA HDD)
- Network > AtherosE2200Ethernet (don't know if it's necessary, LAN seemed to work OOB)

6. Restart and boot from HDD > clover shows as expected

7. install Nvidia Web Drivers for Sierra 10.12.5

8. use Clover to check for proper entries (as in Fresh Tech Canada's Youtube Video):
- ACPI:
- FixUSB
- FixHDA
- FixHPET
- FixiPiC
- AddDTGP

- Boot:
- dart=0
- Graphics:
- Inject Intel < unchecked
- System Parameters:
- Inject System ID < checked
- NvidiaWeb < checked

9. edited config.plist with the following as instructed here:

Code (Text):
<key>SystemParameters</key>
<dict>
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<string>YES</string>
<key>InjectSystemID</key>
<true/>
<key>NvidiaWeb</key>
<true/>
</dict>

10. Boot from SATA HDD and GPU works fine (except some minor glitches which I already found a solution for) > somehow USB connectivity is not properly working, one USB 3 HDD is listed as internal drive when connected to USB 2 port, otherwise not recognized at all … a second USB 3 HDD is not found (neither as internal drive nor in the Disc Utility)

11. Use Pike R. Alpha's addition and Rehabman's NVMe-Patch to get the 960 EVO SSD to show up > works fine

12. after I erase the SSD I used Carbon Copy Clone to clone the boot HDD to the SSD

13. copy EFI folder of SATA boot HDD to EFI partition of SSD > use Clover to set the Boot drive to the SSD

14. tried to boot from SSD results in "no OS found please restart or select other disc" > it didn't even start Clover from the SSD to start macOS boot process

My guess for Version B is that the Legacy Boot Mode might be the problem. But of course I simply don't know and since I'm new the problem might surely be found elsewhere.

So here I am and I'm fairly positive that I'm close but not there, yet.

I hope that my detailed list will give you hints on where I'm stuck … and once again I would highly appreciate your help!

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20170717_093002.jpg
    IMG_20170717_093002.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 507
Last edited:
Ok, after scouting the forum once more I found something for my Version A. Since I'm on macOS 10.12.5 and just running with the intel Graphics I might need the Intel Graphics FixUP I just found here.

I'll give it a try later today and see if that will already do the trick to boot from the SSD. And then I'll see :)

––

UPDATE:

I tried to boot with "Intel Inject" unchecked in Clover but it still won't boot up and stops at the same place. Booting in Verbose mode came up with the exact same image as attached above …

––

Last edited:
I tried to boot with "Intel Inject" unchecked in Clover but it still won't boot up and stops at the same place. Booting in Verbose mode came up with the exact same image as attached above
Try to boot with an invalid ig-platform-id (0x12345678).
At Clover Boot Screen select Options > Graphics Injector > FakeID

When you reach the desktop, install the kexts (Lilu.kext and IntelGraphicsFixup.kext) to /Library/Extensions using KextBeast.

Thanks BreBo, I'll try it later!

Try to boot with an invalid ig-platform-id (0x12345678).
At Clover Boot Screen select Options > Graphics Injector > FakeID

When you reach the desktop, install the kexts (Lilu.kext and IntelGraphicsFixup.kext) to /Library/Extensions using KextBeast.

@BreBo: I ran into the same Kernel Panic like CraigLeather. Since you helped him out there as well I tried the same and got Sierra running again but again on HDD. I proceeded with getting the Nvidia GTX 1050ti in and still kept it running. The only issue I still have though, is the NVMe SSD. I can see it in the Disk Utility and am able to erase it properly. I can also clone my boot HDD to the NVMe SSD, copied the EFI folder manually and had it appear in the clover bootloader. But it won't boot. I'm not giving up, though :). So once again thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it!

So far I have documented for myself how I proceeded to install Sierra 10.12.5 with the Nvidia GPU. If I manage to get the NVMe drive to run as boot drive I will post a complete guide since I haven't found much on my particular hardware – although the motherboard is listed in the buyers guide.

A bit late but anyway I hope it's still a help for those using same or very similar hardware. I have my hackintosh running on macOS Sierra 10.12.6 (update from 10.12.5 was not a problem at all but I'm still waiting to jump on High Sierra) with a Samsung NVMe 960 EVO SSD and it runs very stable. The only problem I haven't figured out is that Sierra sometimes doesn't boot and needs a reset up to 5 times. I haven't thoroughly looked into it since it always boots up eventually but it's a bit annoying. Other than that it does work like a charm.

So here is my installation procedure:

1. Create USB Stick with Unibeast (UEFI Boot)
  2. boot from USB-Stick > choose "external"
    1. format HDD/SSD with Disk Utility
    2. install macOS
  3. boot again from USB Stick > choose HDD/SSD (which was used to install macOS)
  4. finalize macOS installation
  5. start Multibeast
    1. Quick Start Guide
    2. Drivers
      1. Audio: ALC1150 + 100/ 200 Series
      2. MISC: FakeSMC (3x)
      3. Network: AtherosE2200Ethernet v.2.2.0
      4. USB: 3rd Party USB 3.0 + Increase Max Port Limit 100 Series
    3. REBOOT
  6. start Clover Configurator (should be at least v4.45.)
    1. - ACPI:
      1. - FixUSB
      2. - FixHDA
      3. - FixHPET
      4. - FixiPiC
      5. - AddDTGP
    2. - Boot:
      1. - dart=0
    3. - Rt Variables:
      1. Booter Config: 0x28
      2. CsrActiveConfig: 0x67
  7. Save & Reboot
  8. Install Nvidia WebDrivers
  9. open Clover:
    1. Boot: nvda_drv=1 [CHECK]
    2. Graphics: Inject Intel [UNCHECK]
    3. System Parameter: Inject System ID + NvidiaWeb [CHECK]
  10. Start Clover EFI v2 Installation
    1. Customize:
      1. Drivers64UEFI > EmuVariableUefi-64
  11. Reboot
  12. if graphics are still "glitchy" check if Nvidia Web Driver has been selected in Preference Panel
  13. Rehabmens Guide für NVMe SSD:
    1. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...h-ionvmefamily-using-class-code-spoof.210316/
  14. Restart > NVMe SSD should show up (did for me)
  15. format NVMe SSD with Disk Utility
  16. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone Boot Partition (including Recovery HD)
  17. manually copy EFI Partition (all files and folders) from boot HDD/SSD to newly created EFI partition on cloned NVMe SSD
  18. Open Clover configurator and set name of NVMe SSD as Defaukt Boot Drive
  19. Reboot and hopefully enjoy the magic :)

I really appreciate the help from the forum (be it in direct communication with users like BreBo or simply by scouting for a solution to get my system running) and I'm very pleased with the end result. I guess that won't be my last hackintosh :).

Last edited:
Hello, I'm having the same hardware as you. Did you fix the problem with sometimes having to reboot because it gives you the mistake in the beginning?

@andrew.cowork, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard (Mobo), CPU and Graphics Card.
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Hi Andrew,

sorry it took me a bit, was out of town for the holidays. I did manage to fix it quite easily after living with having to reboot every other time. Now it's running really stable and reliable so far. At some point it just bothered me and I kept digging and found the solution very quickly. I used this comment here to fix it. I can't exactly remember which of the kext was installed but I just switched it to the other one and voilà it works ever since. So basically get Clover and switch OsxAptioFixDrv to OsxAptioFix2Drv or the other way around. In my case it did the trick. Hope you have the same luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back