Contribute
Register

[Solved] Graphics / Resolution issue with GTX 1070 (black screen)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z270X-Gaming K5
CPU
i7-7700
Graphics
GeForce GTX 1070 Xtreme 8G
Hi everyone,

Since installing the new Nvidia drivers, I get a black screen half way through the boot screen. I have spent countless hours reading threads here and trying multiple solutions but I am still having the same problems. I have now established that the Nvidia drivers have installed successfully by connecting to the PC via a remote connection.

about.png

But the screen resolution / information is completely wrong.

displays.png

I think the issue is that the drivers are not receiving the EDID from the displays meaning the displays receive an unsupported resolution and end up turning off due to no signal. I have tried forcing the EDID using this article - this sadly hasn't worked and I am now at a loss. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can suggest any potential work arounds or tell me what I am doing wrong!

Build:

CPU: I7 7700K
MB: GA-Z270X K5
GC: Gigabyte 1070 xtreme

Monitors: LG 34UC98 x2 (connected with display port)

Attached my config.plist and nvram.plist

Thanks!

Attachments

• config.plist
    6 KB · Views: 252
  • nvram.plist
    1.8 KB · Views: 238
@warrenamphlett, please update your profile (personal details) with your build (Motherboard or Model, CPU and Graphics Card).
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Hi everyone,

Since installing the new Nvidia drivers, I get a black screen half way through the boot screen. I have spent countless hours reading threads here and trying multiple solutions but I am still having the same problems. I have now established that the Nvidia drivers have installed successfully by connecting to the PC via a remote connection.

View attachment 257769

But the screen resolution / information is completely wrong.

View attachment 257770

I think the issue is that the drivers are not receiving the EDID from the displays meaning the displays receive an unsupported resolution and end up turning off due to no signal. I have tried forcing the EDID using this article - this sadly hasn't worked and I am now at a loss. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can suggest any potential work arounds or tell me what I am doing wrong!

Build:

CPU: I7 7700K
MB: GA-Z270X K5
GC: Gigabyte 1070 xtreme

Monitors: LG 34UC98 x2 (connected with display port)

Attached my config.plist and nvram.plist

Thanks!

You are using iMac 17,1; have you done any of the black screen fixes? Remove the EDID stuff you added in your config.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-imac-15-or-imac-17-system-definition.183113/

You are using iMac 17,1; have you done any of the black screen fixes? Remove the EDID stuff you added in your config.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-imac-15-or-imac-17-system-definition.183113/

That did the trick! This might be really obvious but where did you see that I was running 17,1? The reason I didnt do this patch in the first place was because it said it wasn't needed for 14,2 and my board version is down as 14,2 in my config. Would be good to know for future reference.

That did the trick! This might be really obvious but where did you see that I was running 17,1? The reason I didnt do this patch in the first place was because it said it wasn't needed for 14,2 and my board version is down as 14,2 in my config. Would be good to know for future reference.

Your config contains a 17,1 SMBIOS. You are better off either setting a complete 14,2 or 17,1 SMBIOS, not trying to use a hybrid of the two to make it work. About this Mac identifies your computer solely based of the serial number.

Hey, I see you have the exact same mobo, cpu and gpu as me, And I wondered if you have had any issue with some graphics in Mac OS, more specific, my hackintosh randomly starts to lagging / freeze, this happens when the machine has been idle for a bit and when I get back on the graphics start to freeze (running slow) / lagg for about 30 seconds and up to 1 min and then its fine again, I haven't figured out what is causing this issue yet, let me know if you have any ide or maybe a solution to it :) thanks

Hey, I see you have the exact same mobo, cpu and gpu as me, And I wondered if you have had any issue with some graphics in Mac OS, more specific, my hackintosh randomly starts to lagging / freeze, this happens when the machine has been idle for a bit and when I get back on the graphics start to freeze (running slow) / lagg for about 30 seconds and up to 1 min and then its fine again, I haven't figured out what is causing this issue yet, let me know if you have any ide or maybe a solution to it :) thanks
Check post #408 on Idling for 10 minutes causes Sierra to lag/freeze for a couple of minutes for possible solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back