Graphics
HD3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I was having the dreaded Gigabyte boot loop. I found a very easy way to fix it.

The problem is the CMOS gets somehow corrupted, and the computer can't even post. Using the CMOS clear jumper or removing the battery will sometimes work (if given enough time) but isn't reliable.

The easy solution:
Turn the computer off. Press and hold the power button. The computer will turn on. Keep holding and after about 5 seconds, the computer will turn off again. Power the computer back up.

At this point it should run some type of check and determine the CMOS is corrupt. It will not post and will instead ask if you want to reload a stable BIOS into CMOS. You do, and then you should be up and running.

saintmac what BIOS Version were you on F10? Do you know if F11 corrected the boot loop issue?

The problem is the CMOS gets somehow corrupted, and the computer can't even post. Using the CMOS clear jumper or removing the battery will sometimes work (if given enough time) but isn't reliable.

The easy solution:
Turn the computer off. Press and hold the power button. The computer will turn on. Keep holding and after about 5 seconds, the computer will turn off again. Power the computer back up.

At this point it should run some type of check and determine the CMOS is corrupt. It will not post and will instead ask if you want to reload a stable BIOS into CMOS. You do, and then you should be up and running.
This worked on my desktop with he same MB. I thought the was dead.

This keeps happing to me again a lot. I finally saved a BIOS profile so I can get back without having to reset BIOS settings. Pretty annoying. Any ideas why the main BIOS keeps getting corrupted?

I had given up and ordered a replacement board after not being able to find a solution elsewhere. This brought my motherboard back to life and I was able to cancel the order before it was shipped. Thank you!

The easy solution:

Works like a charm. Thanks! you save me from buying a new mobo

@saintmac

Thank you so much for the tip! I returned a board only to find this happened again and your method worked like a charm! Holding the power Button Worked. Thanks for the education as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back