Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Gigabyte 6850 -- any way to quiet it down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asrock Z370 Extreme4
CPU
i7-8770k
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Performance wise, I'm really happy with the Gigabyte 6850 so far. The price was right ($150), and it worked out of the box with dual monitors. (Well, I followed the directions of some people on the forum before even booting with it, but it worked straight away :)). But... it's a little on the loud side. By far the loudest thing in my case.

Is there any way to cool it down? Fan replacement? Software to control the fan speed in OS X? I don't want to return it if I don't have to. I'd be willing to buy a couple after market fans, even an aftermarket cooler, but I don't think the Gigabyte card has the reference design making the replacement easy.

I have a feeling the G5 case I just modded isn't the quietest... all those holes in the front and back.

Any tips would be great.

Re: Gigabyte 6850 -- any way to quiet it down?

The Zalman VF-3000 cooler for that card may do the trick.

dakotar said:
The Zalman VF-3000 cooler for that card may do the trick.

thanks for the heads up. For now, I'm in Windows and I'll try flashing the BIOS with a different fan curve, i'll report back on success or failure :)

ALright

I was reasonably successful in quieting my card down using a BIOS flashing procedure. I wrote up a short guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=68598

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back