Contribute
Register

[Solved] GeForce 680 Compatible with High Sierra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5TH
CPU
i7
Graphics
GTX 680
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Is GeForce 680 is compatible with High Sierra?

I formatted my SSD to APFS.

I'm currently installed to High Sierra - but I had to take out my Graphics Card in order to see and for this to work so far.

The only Driver I've installed so far is Multibeast latest version - and then I downloaded Clover Vibrant.

Has someone has gotten this to work - I'd love to pick your brain as I'm seeming to have trouble (I get a black screen or no video at all when I plug in my Graphics Card).

I'm running on 10.13.1

Under "About this Mac" is:
iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
Processor 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7
Memory 32 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
Startup Disk Samuel HDD
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Last edited:
I hope someone can help me answer the question if GeForce 680 is compatible with High Sierra, or if someone has gotten this to work - I'd love to pick your brain as I'm seeming to have trouble getting mine to work. (I get a black screen or video at all when I plug in my Graphics Card).

I hope someone can help me answer the question if GeForce 680 is compatible with High Sierra,
  • GeForceGTX 680 is compatible with High Sierra.
I'd love to pick your brain as I'm seeming to have trouble getting mine to work. (I get a black screen or video at all when I plug in my Graphics Card).
  • I guess you are already running a macOS High Sierra (unspecified version) from your System disk[Your post is not clear about this]
  • If the above is true, I presume you are currently on your Intel HD 4000 from your i7 3770K for the Graphics and when you insert the Nvidia Geforce GTX 680 PCIE Video card you get a black screen.
  • If you can clarify the above and upload the following I'll try to help:
    • Screen shot of BIOS-Peripherals >Init Display First and the entries below that (good to have the whole Peripherals screen in multiple shots if needed)
    • Upload Currently installed CLOVER on the disk as a zipped file.
    • If you (or anybody else) need the steps to upload CLOVER from the System hard disk as a zipped file :
      • First click Finder from top Menubar >Preferences > and check all check boxes (to display all connected disk icons on Desktop for easy navigation)
      • Download and launch Clover Configurator Global Clover Configurator (Global Edition)
      • From its TOOLS menu click on Mount EFI [See image]
      • Find your HDD with High Sierra >Mount EFI [See image]
      • From Desktop click open EFI Partition (Grey icon) that is mounted [See image]
      • Click EFI Folder (Blue) to find CLOVER folder [See image]
      • Right Click CLOVER >Compress Clover >Upload to Forum

Attachments

• 1.CCG_Mount EFI.png
    1.CCG_Mount EFI.png
    323.3 KB · Views: 276
  • 2.Mount EFI of HDD.png
    2.Mount EFI of HDD.png
    263.9 KB · Views: 276
  • 3. EFI of HDD Mounted on Desktop .png
    3. EFI of HDD Mounted on Desktop .png
    608.9 KB · Views: 265
  • 4.EFI partition double clicked to find EFI folder.png
    4.EFI partition double clicked to find EFI folder.png
    268.3 KB · Views: 230
  • 5.EFI folder contenst >CLOVER>Rt click and Compress .png
    5.EFI folder contenst >CLOVER>Rt click and Compress .png
    24.3 KB · Views: 239
  • I guess you are already running a macOS High Sierra (unspecified version) from your System disk[Your post is not clear about this]
  • If the above is true, I presume you are currently on your Intel HD 4000 from your i7 3770K for the Graphics and when you insert the Nvidia Geforce GTX 680 PCIE Video card you get a black screen.
    • Screen shot of BIOS-Peripherals >Init Display First and the entries below that (good to have the whole Peripherals screen in multiple shots if needed)
    • If you (or anybody else) need the steps to upload CLOVER from the System hard disk as a zipped file :
      • First click Finder from top Menubar >Preferences > and check all check boxes (to display all connected disk icons on Desktop for easy navigation)
      • Download and launch Clover Configurator Global Clover Configurator (Global Edition)
Awesome! Thank you! I'm going to post everything once I take those screenshots after I reboot in a second.

Yes, I'm running on 10.13.1 (Should I update to something higher?)

Startup Disk Samuel HDD

I've only installed Multibeast and I didn't want to install Nvidia or other drivers just yet. Although, I do have Clover Vibrant version. I had tried before to disable Integrated Graphics (within BIOS) and when I plugged my 680 back in, it allowed my graphics card finally to see - however it crashed once I was in the desktop. I rebated the Integrated Graphics within Bios and took out my Graphics Card.

Now I can't even find "Integrated Graphics" within BIOS anymore... very strange!

OK, I'll go ahead and get those screen shots now!

Ok, I updated my original post with new details. I'm also uploading the Screenshots from my Phone (Since I can't take internal screenshots with F10, since I don't have the right format FAT 32 to do so.)

Here is everything. You're really good at giving directions by the way! Very clear and concise!

I'm also adding other photos from Bios menu as well as my "Clover_Install_Log.txt", just incase it helps.

PS - I'd like to get this machine running to Boot Camp a Windows Partition - I see that's what you have. Will this route with my gear work for Windows?

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 134
  • IMG_9435.JPG
    IMG_9435.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 156
  • IMG_9436.JPG
    IMG_9436.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 166
  • IMG_9439.JPG
    IMG_9439.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 167
  • IMG_9440.JPG
    IMG_9440.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 166
  • IMG_9441.JPG
    IMG_9441.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 189
  • Clover_Install_Log.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 153
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 3.16.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 3.16.35 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 165
Now I am reading this:

https://jonbrown.org/blog/high-sierra-breaks-bootcamp/

Says my APFS won't work on High Sierra if I'm going to dual boot... So I just reinstalled after formatting to HFS+. I think I'm supposed to update to the latest 10.13.6, so I'll go ahead and do that after I install Multibeast.

Last edited:
Awesome! Thank you! I'm going to post everything once I take those screenshots after I reboot in a second.

Yes, I'm running on 10.13.1 (Should I update to something higher?)

Startup Disk Samuel HDD

I've only installed Multibeast and I didn't want to install Nvidia or other drivers just yet. Although, I do have Clover Vibrant version. I had tried before to disable Integrated Graphics (within BIOS) and when I plugged my 680 back in, it allowed my graphics card finally to see - however it crashed once I was in the desktop. I rebated the Integrated Graphics within Bios and took out my Graphics Card.

Now I can't even find "Integrated Graphics" within BIOS anymore... very strange!

OK, I'll go ahead and get those screen shots now!
  • Thank you for the clarification about your installed macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 on a Hard disk with your Intel HD 4000 as Graphics which has recognized full Video RAM of 1536 MB.
  • You then inserted the Nvidia GTX 680 but when you reached the Desktop "it crashed" ( I guess you had no display on your monitor screen and it was all a black screen.
I rebated the Integrated Graphics within Bios and took out my Graphics Card.

Apparently you rebooted and changed BIOS back to Integrated Graphics and Shut down and Removed the PCIE Graphics from the Computer.

• Your previously working Intel HD 4000 is not showing any display .

• You have uploaded BIOS screen shots. I suppose these are after you removed the Nvidia GTX 680 from PCIE and reset the BIOS to use Integrated Intel HD 4000.
  • If that is the case, since you have DISABLED IGFX in the BIOS, you cannot get HD 4000 to Display.(see edited image.
  • I will upload Screen Images showing right ways of editing BIOS_Peripherals for IGFX (Integrated Graphics) and PEG (PCIE Graphics)
To get BIOS Screenshot in Gigabyte:
  • Insert your USB Installer Flash disk that has enough EFI Space in FAT to fill in all the BMP images you need from your BIOS screen
  • Key to press is F-12.
  • You may have to wait at times over 30 seconds for the disk space to get ready for you to press the Enter key to capture and save the image in EFI partition
  • Of course, to see them and copy , you need to Mount that disk's EFI ( Use CCG or CCV, it's easy)
I will check your CLOVER thoroughly and upload edited images of their screen shots in another post later.

If you want to use NVIDIA, first install Web Drivers downloaded (corresponding to your Version of macOS High Sierra (Hint: Tonymac Downloads Nvidia) .
Then you can reboot and enter BIOS and change Peripherals >Graphics as shown in my uploaded image
While rebooting to Save it ( during the shut Down), press Power Button to shut down (Before system gets a chance to return to Gigabyte Splash Screen)

Open Case> Insert PCIE Card > Repower>Go to BIOS >peek into Peripherals to make sure your BIOS is still set for PEG .

In Clover Boot Manager>Options> make sure Boot Args- has no nv_disable=1
In Options_Graphics Injector-> make sure [√] Use Nvidia Web Driver (because you have already installed Web driver while the system was on IGFX).
Please read the Right way to install Nvidia Webdriver. SIP needs to be ENABLED for the Driver to be loaded! Then it can be Disabled after reboot. Also read about contents of drivers64UEFI folder for Nvidia Web driver to work properly

Attachments

• 2.BIOS Features.png
    2.BIOS Features.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 258
  • 3.BIOS_Peripherals for PCIE Graphics.png
    3.BIOS_Peripherals for PCIE Graphics.png
    153 KB · Views: 267
  • 4.BIOS Peripherals for IGFX .png
    4.BIOS Peripherals for IGFX .png
    153.4 KB · Views: 261
  • 5.BIOS Features.png
    5.BIOS Features.png
    138.2 KB · Views: 235
  • 1.CLOVER-drivers64UEFI.png
    1.CLOVER-drivers64UEFI.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 213
  • 1.BIOS_Peripherals_Graphics related_WRONG.png
    1.BIOS_Peripherals_Graphics related_WRONG.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 222
  • 2.CLOVER_kexts_Other.png
    2.CLOVER_kexts_Other.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 215
  • 3.config.plist_ACPI.png
    3.config.plist_ACPI.png
    510.3 KB · Views: 248
  • 4.config.plisat_Boot.png
    4.config.plisat_Boot.png
    487.6 KB · Views: 256
  • 5.configh.plist_Devices.png
    5.configh.plist_Devices.png
    362.9 KB · Views: 253
  • 6.configh.plist_Gui.png
    6.configh.plist_Gui.png
    418 KB · Views: 258
  • 7.configh.plist_Graphics.png
    7.configh.plist_Graphics.png
    344.4 KB · Views: 237
  • 8.configh.plist_Kernel and Kext Patches.png
    8.configh.plist_Kernel and Kext Patches.png
    345.8 KB · Views: 312
  • 9.configh.plist_Rt Variables.png
    9.configh.plist_Rt Variables.png
    463.1 KB · Views: 243
  • 10.configh.plist_SMBIOS.png
    10.configh.plist_SMBIOS.png
    452.6 KB · Views: 237
  • 11.configh.plist_System Parameters.png
    11.configh.plist_System Parameters.png
    511.9 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
  • Thank you for the clarification about your installed macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 on a Hard disk with your Intel HD 4000 as Graphics which has recognized full Video RAM of 1536 MB.
  • You then inserted the Nvidia GTX 680 but when you reached the Desktop "it crashed" ( I guess you had no display on your monitor screen and it was all a black screen.

Apparently you rebooted and changed BIOS back to Integrated Graphics and Shut down and Removed the PCIE Graphics from the Computer.

• You have uploaded BIOS screen shots. I suppose these are after you removed the Nvidia GTX 680 from PCIE and reset the BIOS to use Integrated Intel HD 4000.
  • If that is the case, since you have DISABLED IGFX in the BIOS, you cannot get HD 4000 to Display.(see edited image.
  • I will upload Screen Images showing right ways of editing BIOS_Peripherals for IGFX (Integrated Graphics) and PEG (PCIE Graphics)
  • Insert your USB Installer Flash disk that has enough EFI Space in FAT to fill in all the BMT images you need from your BIOS screen
  • Key to press is F-12.
  • You may have to wait at times over 30 seconds for the disk space to get ready for you to press the Enter key to capture and save the image in EFI partition
  • Of course, to see them and copy , you need to Mount that disk's EFI ( Use CCG or CCV, it's easy)
I will check your CLOVER thoroughly and upload edited images of their screen shots in another post later.

If you want to use NVIDIA, first install Web Drivers downloaded (corresponding to your Version of macOS High Sierra (Hint: Tonymac Downloads Nvidia) .
Then you can reboot and enter BIOS and change Peripherals >Graphics as shown in my uploaded image
While rebooting to Save it ( during the shut Down), press Power Button to shut down (Before system gets a chance to return to Gigabyte Splash Screen)

Open Case> Insert PCIE Card > Repower>Go to BIOS >peek into Peripherals to make sure your BIOS is still set for PEG .

In Options_Graphics Injector-> make sure [√] Use Nvidia Web Driver (because you have already installed Web driver while the system was on IGFX).
Please read the Right way to install Nvidia Webdriver. SIP needs to be ENABLED for the Driver to be loaded! Then it can be Disabled after reboot. Also read about contents of drivers64UEFI folder for Nvidia Web driver to work properly

Edited: I don't use Boot Camp. I have MULTI_Disk Multi-Boot System (Windows10|Mac HS and Mojave Beta|Linux(Ubuntu) from different disks with CLOVER as the Bootloader for all.

Edited: I don't use Boot Camp. I have MULTI_Disk Multi-Boot System (Windows10|Mac HS and Mojave Beta|Linux(Ubuntu) from different disks with CLOVER as the Bootloader for all.
SIDE NOTE:
I'm going to respond to everything else you said above, but I'll respond to this first and quickly.

You don't use boot camp.

The purpose of my build is to have both machines working (I have two SDD's, one for MAC and one for Windows - they are the same kind of SSD. Sandisk Extreme) Is MULTI_Disk Multi-Boot System possible to run on my unit?

SIDE NOTE:
I'm going to respond to everything else you said above, but I'll respond to this first and quickly.

You don't use boot camp.

The purpose of my build is to have both machines working (I have two SDD's, one for MAC and one for Windows - they are the same kind of SSD. Sandisk Extreme) Is MULTI_Disk Multi-Boot System possible to run on my unit?
Yes, by all means.
CLOVER can handle the Booting of both OS disks to CBM screen.
From then on, each system is on their own to reach their Login Screens.

Hackintosh depends on CLOVER all the way to its Desktop and Windows uses its Boot Manager to help with its journey to its destination.
Please go to Multiboot Forum for excellent Guides by Going Bald Guide: Multibooting UEFI on Separate Drives

• Insert your USB Installer Flash disk that has enough EFI Space in FAT to fill in all the BMP images you need from your BIOS screen
  • Key to press is F-12.

I just followed your instructions. Here is what happened followed by my questions to you.

I am now able to run off my Graphics Card, but when it. Loads on the Apple Logo screen, right around 75% of the load, it crashes (turns off) and then i have to turn the machine back on.

That is as far as I've gone with this. Good improvements so far! Almost.

QUESTIONS:

- What version BIOS do you have?
- you uploaded two images of Peripherals (they have different options on both screens...) how are all those options possible? What you saw on MY Screenshot is all that I see. Is there a secret to revealing more options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back