Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] GA-Z68X-UD4-B3, XFX 6870, Success with one problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z68X-UD4-B3
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
XFX 6870 Dual Fan
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey all, I finally tried installing El Capitan on my old/trusty 10.8.4 setup.

I have a GA-z68x-UD4-b3 motherboard, XFX 6870 video card... using a Sonnet NIC (Yukon), and a USB sound card.

USB stick booted with no problems. I was very surprised the AMD Radeon 6870 video card worked OOB.

Successfully installed 10.11.5 on this setup. Got sound, internet, etc.

I followed the Multibeast post install instructions using Clover Legacy. And this is where I'm stucked!

No matter what I do, I cannot boot Clover from this 1TB Seagate Hard drive. There is an EFI partition on the HD. but no go.... computer just sits there with a blank screen "Loading operating system...." message. But it seems the bootloader on the hard drive isn't successfully being executed. (Have pressed F12, selected the HD as the boot device, etc... just no go.)

Why? This mobo booted the USB stick just fine?

I must be missing a step.... I tried the alternate install pkg using first Clover Legacy, then CloverLegacy-Root and both doesn't work either.

If someone can help with this last step, I'll be very grateful!

Some progress...

I copied all the files and directory structure from the USB/EFI directory to my Hard Drive's EFI volume.

Now, the Hard Drive can boot Clover, and I'm seeing the Clover boot options with the tonymac theme.
So yay! for this...

I selct then my El Capitan HFS to boot it, I get the white Apple logo on a black background, but the progress bar isn't moving, and the hard disk activity light isnt doing anything either....

What do I check for next? On the USB, the progress bar moves and I can booth my El Capitan HFS volume.

Okay, I'm new with Clover... so manage to find/how to turn on verbose mode....

rebooted from HD, and I see its hanging at [PCI Configuration Begins]...

quick google....I need to turn off USB3 controllers....

booted back to Bios, turn off the two USB3 controllers....

booted HD again, and IT WORKS!!!!!!!

So to recap.....

The post install MultiBeast didn't work with my setup. I dont know why...
I had to resort to manually copying the EFI files from the USB stick to the EFI volume on the hard drive.
After that, turn off USB3 in BIOS. Now everything works!
- I dont know why the USB Clover can bootfine with USB3 enabled...

...and it looks like I'm talking to myself. :)
But Ill just leave this here for all Z68X-UD4-B3 mobo owners!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back