Contribute
Register

[Solved] Frozen on macos utilities

Should I be worried boot failed once after a hard shutdown?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mojave caused it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS PRIME Z390M PLUS (clover)
CPU
i7-9600K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've created an USB as the guide here says. It didn't work at all: `still waiting for root device`. I copied everything to a spare SATA drive, it worked.

I reach the install screen, the GUI looks perfect, but it freezes immediately. I can't move my mouse even an inch. Cursor is firmly stuck to the top left. Also, I think booting with `-x` causes a reboot early on the loading process (apple logo). Which is weird.

I was going to try boot flags and etc... But then my mobo failed to boot after I did a hard shutdown. This scared the hell out of me (see poll, lol) If anyone has suggestions to unfreeze the install those will be much appreciated.

use usb patch for 10.14 and use usb 2.0

Oh, I'm booting to installer using a SATA drive. But thanks.
  • How did you create an installer disk using SATA Hard disk?
  • If your installer disk is truly SATA as shown in the BIOS boot options, what is your Target hard disk for the installer to Format and dump the system files on to?
  • If you have used a SATA hard disk connected to the computer using a SATA to USB adapter, for all practical purposes, both the BIOS and CLOVER would still consider that as a USB device not a SATA disk.

• How did you create an installer disk using SATA Hard disk?

It wasn't my plan initially. But USB gave me "still waiting for root device" error. I tried common fixes to it, but they didn't work. I figured it was something wrong with my usb, since that's the root device. What I did was: Made a usb following the guide. Run into problems. Then create two partitions on a sata hard drive connected to my mobo. Tag the first as an ESP, tag the second as apple-data, something like that. I used linux's cli fdisk to do it. The tag I'm talking about is the `t` command, probably means type. I've formatted stuff this way before with no problems. Then I used `mkfs.vfat` and `mkfs.hfsplus` something like that, to respectively format the ESP and the other partition, which was 9GB in size btw. I proceeded to mount the usb's esp and the sata's esp and copied the EFI folder over. Then I used `dd` (!!) to write the usb's installer partition over the sata one.

I know the `dd` step looks crazy. The first time I had a problem with the sata, I assumed the `dd` step messed something up. Then I tried recreating the installer on the sata partition, using `createinstallmedia` or something (I have bad memory for commands), the same tool used to make the usb. It didn't even reach the installer getting stuck in the apple logo. I thought this was pretty weird, actually.

• If your installer disk is truly SATA as shown in the BIOS boot options, what is your Target hard disk for the installer to Format and dump the system files on to?

Yeah, it's connected to my mobo directly. I'd be installing to a partition on that same sata disk. I know this sounds bad, but it was the easiest way. Either way, I should at least be able to get a working installer, right? I have like, 4 hard drives, btw.

• If you have used a SATA hard disk connected to the computer using a SATA to USB adapter, for all practical purposes, both the BIOS and CLOVER would still consider that as a USB device not a SATA disk.

Yeah, I know. You think this is worth trying? My sata is 2.5'', usb power is enough for it. I could use a sata to usb.

Thanks for the help @cmn699! Let me know if you have any ideas! Cheers.
@RehabMan sorry to bother you. Please take a look a this weird installation I'm trying, thanks!

It wasn't my plan initially. But USB gave me "still waiting for root device" error. I tried common fixes to it, but they didn't work. I figured it was something wrong with my usb, since that's the root device. What I did was: Made a usb following the guide. Run into problems. Then create two partitions on a sata hard drive connected to my mobo. Tag the first as an ESP, tag the second as apple-data, something like that. I used linux's cli fdisk to do it. The tag I'm talking about is the `t` command, probably means type. I've formatted stuff this way before with no problems. Then I used `mkfs.vfat` and `mkfs.hfsplus` something like that, to respectively format the ESP and the other partition, which was 9GB in size btw. I proceeded to mount the usb's esp and the sata's esp and copied the EFI folder over. Then I used `dd` (!!) to write the usb's installer partition over the sata one.

I know the `dd` step looks crazy. The first time I had a problem with the sata, I assumed the `dd` step messed something up. Then I tried recreating the installer on the sata partition, using `createinstallmedia` or something (I have bad memory for commands), the same tool used to make the usb. It didn't even reach the installer getting stuck in the apple logo. I thought this was pretty weird, actually.

Yeah, it's connected to my mobo directly. I'd be installing to a partition on that same sata disk. I know this sounds bad, but it was the easiest way. Either way, I should at least be able to get a working installer, right? I have like, 4 hard drives, btw.

Yeah, I know. You think this is worth trying? My sata is 2.5'', usb power is enough for it. I could use a sata to usb.

Thanks for the help @cmn699! Let me know if you have any ideas! Cheers.
@RehabMan sorry to bother you. Please take a look a this weird installation I'm trying, thanks!

• I would try using a 16GB USB -2 Flash drive partitioned and formatted (GUID Partition Scheme & macOS Extended (Journaled) Format using Disk Utility in Mac or Hack ) to install the Genuine and full macOS Mojave Beta (10.14.Beta -18A353d) on the USB Flash disk followed by CLOVER (latest) and then edit the CLOVER/kexts/Other (deleting 10.6 to 10.14 folders) installing essential kexts (see uploaded image) and config.plist (see edited images used for Gigabyte Z270; a similar config.plist should be OK for intel 100 series)
  • I would suggest boot using Verbose boot arg until you get a successful installation and upload the boot screen image(s) if you encounter any problem to boot.
  • I would suggest you to either ,list all the BIOS options you have chosen or better still, upload images of BIOS screen shots displaying all your choices to the Forum to figure out the cause of the USB installer boot problem.
  • Upload a compressed CLOVER folder from your Mojave USB installer Boot disk to suggest what changes if any is needed for a successful boot.
    • For steps to upload Compressed CLOVER from USB, you may check ->#4

Attachments

• kexts:Other.png
    kexts:Other.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 1.config.plist_ACPI.png
    1.config.plist_ACPI.png
    281 KB · Views: 100
  • 2.config.plist_Boot.png
    2.config.plist_Boot.png
    237.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 3.config.plist_Devices.png