2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have created a new installer using Unibeast 7, have upgraded my OS to 10.11.6 but now I would like to use the USB to do a clean install on my NVMe.

No matter what I try:
HackrNVMeFamily kext
IONVMeFamily kext with patches applied in config.plist (or just the patches and no kext)
NVMeGeneric kext

...it is never visible in the Disk Utility within the installer USB. I have read the readme on @RehabMan's Github, plus the 19 pages on IM, and every page here on tonymac that is relative to the NVMe and Sierra. I'm sure it's something I've overlooked but I can't seem to establish the exact process to do a clean install from 10.11.6 to Sierra when the NVMe already has something installed (am I supposed to be putting the kexts on the NVMe drive for instance?).

UPDATE:
Get NVMe to display in USB installer by putting the code at this link in your config.plist kextstopatch.

Once installed, get sound to work by downloading config-audio_cloverALC-100series.plist.zip
A huge thanks to RehabMan, Pike R. Alpha and Mork vom Ork for the NVMe solution, toleda, pcpaul & Riley Freeman for the audio fix.

:D

Last edited:
I have created a new installer using Unibeast 7, have upgraded my OS to 10.11.6 but now I would like to use the USB to do a clean install on my NVMe.

No matter what I try:
HackrNVMeFamily kext
IONVMeFamily kext with patches applied in config.plist (or just the patches and no kext)
NVMeGeneric kext

...it is never visible in the Disk Utility within the installer USB. I have read the readme on @RehabMan's Github, plus the 19 pages on IM, and every page here on tonymac that is relative to the NVMe and Sierra. I'm sure it's something I've overlooked but I can't seem to establish the exact process to do a clean install from 10.11.6 to Sierra when the NVMe already has something installed (am I supposed to be putting the kexts on the NVMe drive for instance?).

As this board is in the buyers guide I'm sure I'm not alone in using this setup, hopefully someone can point us in the right direction (or point out my errors) and we can all benefit.

Cheers :)

My build:
i7-6700
GA-Z170MX-Gaming-5
Samsung 950 Pro 256GB M2 (boot drive)
32GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 470

if you are getting problem via unibeast go update via clover method.

No matter what I try:
HackrNVMeFamily kext
NVMeGeneric kext

As this board is in the buyers guide I'm sure I'm not alone in using this setup, hopefully someone can point us in the right direction (or point out my errors) and we can all benefit.

Cheers :)

My build:
i7-6700
GA-Z170MX-Gaming-5
Samsung 950 Pro 256GB M2 (boot drive)
32GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 470

https://github.com/RehabMan/patch-nvme

Read the README. Very carefully.

I tried that at the start, but to be honest I always prefer to start with a clean install.

In the end I successfully installed but using the kextstopatch info from pike r. alpha's blog and the IONVMeFamily.kext in kexts/Other folder. I'll come back and update post #1 once I have everything up and running properly (including with 10.12 HackrNVMeFamily.kext, I know that's important) – I'm having issues with sound & my second monitor right now (it is black and telling me it's a VGA projector??).

Thanks for getting back to me though, much appreciated!

I tried that at the start, but to be honest I always prefer to start with a clean install.

No idea what you're referring to. There is nothing in my instructions that prevent a clean install.

In the end I successfully installed but using the kextstopatch info from pike r. alpha's blog and the IONVMeFamily.kext in kexts/Other folder.

Not surprising. It is as recommended in my README.

No idea what you're referring to. There is nothing in my instructions that prevent a clean install.
Sorry, that was meant for @singh0912

Not surprising. It is as recommended in my README.
Looking back I can see that, but had it been worded "Use the correct patches in config.plist KextsToPatch found via this link" then it would make things easier for people to understand. Especially since trawling through all those other threads can be confusing and in many cases there's conflicting suggestions of how to proceed as people (including me) bothering you and the guys that understood the steps have different setups and require slightly different solutions.

Either way I appreciate the help more than you could imagine :)

Do you think that if I edit the plist with the code I can install using Clover rather than a fresh install? I don't want to go through that but right now I'm unable to install Sierra on my 950 through the Clover process.

One strange thing though, if I delete the kextstopatch info from my config.plist regarding NVMe and install the 10.12.0 HackrNVMeFamily instead I get a kernel panic?

It means you forgot to remove IONVMeFamily.kext.

Do you think that if I edit the plist with the code I can install using Clover rather than a fresh install? I don't want to go through that but right now I'm unable to install Sierra on my 950 through the Clover process.

Use KextsToPatch when you're running the installer.
Then transition to HackrNVMeFamily in post-install.

It is all in the README. Please read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back