Contribute
Register

[Solved] Fresh 10.13.6 install - can't open some apps downloaded from the App Store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370M D3H
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. Color Classic
  3. Portable
  4. Power Mac
  5. PowerBook
  6. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,
I'm in the process of tuning my fresh installation of 10.13.6 on a new build. Most of it work as expected, but some apps downloaded from the App Store won't open. 1Password 7 is the first one I'm stuck with. It downloaded fine. I opened it, and it keeps quickly flashing a progress bar that reads "Verifying 1Password 7.app" (not sure of the exact text string in English because my system is in French). It flashes rapidly every few seconds for 5-10 minutes, and then display an alert saying the app is damaged and needs to be downloaded again.
Now I'm on a clean install, but I had the same issue yesterday with some others apps downloaded from the App Store, but not all of them.
Does anybody knows what's going on?

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370M D3H
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. Color Classic
  3. Portable
  4. Power Mac
  5. PowerBook
  6. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I should ad that this afternoon, I had an alert sating I had to provide my App Store login and password, since the app had been purchased from another Mac. Fair enough, but the alert kept coming back even though the login credentials are correct. Eventually I got the alert saying the app was damaged and needed to be downloaded again.

UtterDisbelief

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490i Aorus Ultra - OC 0.6.8
CPU
i5-10600K
Graphics
GT710 - 1920x1080
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I should ad that this afternoon, I had an alert sating I had to provide my App Store login and password, since the app had been purchased from another Mac. Fair enough, but the alert kept coming back even though the login credentials are correct. Eventually I got the alert saying the app was damaged and needed to be downloaded again.

Hi there.

Are you able to start and run an app *not* bought from the App Store?

:)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370M D3H
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. Color Classic
  3. Portable
  4. Power Mac
  5. PowerBook
  6. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Are you able to start and run an app *not* bought from the App Store?
Sure! All the default apps are fine, and all the apps I downloaded from the net are fine too. What puzzles me is that even some apps downloaded from the App Store are fine... For example I just downloaded 1Blocker and Todoist and they're OK.

It looks like a permission issue of some kind (disk permissions? DRM? I don't know).

UtterDisbelief

Motherboard
CPU
i5-10600K
Graphics
GT710 - 1920x1080
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Sure! All the default apps are fine, and all the apps I downloaded from the net are fine too. What puzzles me is that even some apps downloaded from the App Store are fine... For example I just downloaded 1Blocker and Todoist and they're OK.

It looks like a permission issue of some kind (disk permissions? DRM? I don't know).

Yes, maybe.

I also think it depends on the requirement of the app you buy on the App Store. Sometimes if you transfer an app from one machine to another you are asked to sign-in to iCloud so your purchase can be verified. Other times you don't.

Most App Store purchases store a receipt on your main OS drive. I wonder if, as you suggest, there is a read/write problem there, in that folder, or a permissions issue? Worth a scan.

Have you built a full SMBIOS with all serial-numbers and UUIDs? If there is anything missing, or an inappropriate system-definition, that might cause a problem too. It certainly annoys iMessage etc.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370M D3H
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. Color Classic
  3. Portable
  4. Power Mac
  5. PowerBook
  6. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I dug a bit deeper and installed my set of "essential" apps from the App Store one at a time. All Apple apps are fine (the iWork suite, iMovie, Garage Band, etc). Some 3rd party apps are fine (for example Pixelmator, The Unarchiver, Todoist). Some just crash on opening (Gemini 2, Reeder 3), and others just show the strange behaviour I explained above.

For the record, I set up a fresh High Sierra install on a 2011 MacBook Pro at the same time I was setting up the Hackintosh, and had obviously no issue installing all the same apps. I intend for it to be my backup machine if/when the Hackintosh becomes stable enough to be my main machine.

Have you built a full SMBIOS with all serial-numbers and UUIDs? If there is anything missing, or an inappropriate system-definition, that might cause a problem too. It certainly annoys iMessage etc.
Well… I'm quite new to this… I followed the High Sierra installation guide to the letter, and got graphics and USB working with the help of guides around here. I'm still dealing with sound issues, and getting help in another thread. What do you mean by "building a full SMBIOS with all serial numbers and UUIDs"?
By the way I used Clean My Mac 3 to repair permissions, but that didn't help. As of Sierra (or was it El Capitan? Can't remember) one can't manually repair permissions anymore, so I'm out of options…

UtterDisbelief

Motherboard
CPU
i5-10600K
Graphics
GT710 - 1920x1080
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I dug a bit deeper and installed my set of "essential" apps from the App Store one at a time. All Apple apps are fine (the iWork suite, iMovie, Garage Band, etc). Some 3rd party apps are fine (for example Pixelmator, The Unarchiver, Todoist). Some just crash on opening (Gemini 2, Reeder 3), and others just show the strange behaviour I explained above.

For the record, I set up a fresh High Sierra install on a 2011 MacBook Pro at the same time I was setting up the Hackintosh, and had obviously no issue installing all the same apps. I intend for it to be my backup machine if/when the Hackintosh becomes stable enough to be my main machine.

Well… I'm quite new to this… I followed the High Sierra installation guide to the letter, and got graphics and USB working with the help of guides around here. I'm still dealing with sound issues, and getting help in another thread. What do you mean by "building a full SMBIOS with all serial numbers and UUIDs"?
By the way I used Clean My Mac 3 to repair permissions, but that didn't help. As of Sierra (or was it El Capitan? Can't remember) one can't manually repair permissions anymore, so I'm out of options…

Hmmm. I can't explain why certain apps just crash. That could be something else entirely. I have the same motherboard as you and don't have these problems.

Building a full SMBIOS (follow @P1LGRIM 's An iDiot's Guide To iMessage - nothing personal! It's a great guide :)) ensures that your machine is fully recognised as a Mac computer and helps prevent problems with iCloud and your Apple ID. Be careful not to change your serial-number though. If you do Apple may block your ID. The safe thing to do is copy that to a safe place and then build your full SMBIOS. Once you have that you can edit back in the serial-number you saved.

As for the Permissions issue - you can run DiskUtil 'First Aid' to check your disk and correct errors, even if Terminal won't work etc. As you know there are other ways it can be done too.:thumbup:

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370M D3H
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. Color Classic
  3. Portable
  4. Power Mac
  5. PowerBook
  6. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Building a full SMBIOS (follow @P1LGRIM 's An iDiot's Guide To iMessage - nothing personal! It's a great guide :)) ensures that your machine is fully recognised as a Mac computer and helps prevent problems with iCloud and your Apple ID.
Great, thanks! I had seen this guide and intended to setup iMessages later on. But I'll follow it tomorrow and report the results! Thanks a lot for your help!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370M D3H
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. Color Classic
  3. Portable
  4. Power Mac
  5. PowerBook
  6. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Building a full SMBIOS (follow @P1LGRIM 's An iDiot's Guide To iMessage - nothing personal! It's a great guide :)) ensures that your machine is fully recognised as a Mac computer and helps prevent problems with iCloud and your Apple ID. Be careful not to change your serial-number though. If you do Apple may block your ID. The safe thing to do is copy that to a safe place and then build your full SMBIOS. Once you have that you can edit back in the serial-number you saved.
That was it! I followed the guide to the letter. I learned a lot of stuff in the process, I have working Messages, and I could reinstall and launch all apps from the App Store without any problem. Even the apps that only crashed now launch flawlessly. Thanks a lot @UtterDisbelief for your help and suggestions!

UtterDisbelief

Motherboard
CPU
i5-10600K
Graphics
GT710 - 1920x1080
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
That was it! I followed the guide to the letter. I learned a lot of stuff in the process, I have working Messages, and I could reinstall and launch all apps from the App Store without any problem. Even the apps that only crashed now launch flawlessly. Thanks a lot @UtterDisbelief for your help and suggestions!

Great news. Well done :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.