EVGA GeForce GT 640 2GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello,

I followed the instructions for the Direct Update using Clover and installation seemed to work fine but when I enter my details on the El Capitan login screen and hit enter I'm greeted with an endless spinning beachball. Any ideas on how to fix? My Yosemite installation was working fine before I upgraded. I tried booting with only FakeSMC in the kext folder but that didn't make a difference.

Installed Kexts:
AtherosL1cEthernet
FakeSMC
NullCPUPowerManagement
VoodooHDA

System Specs are here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/members/catita/

Attachments

• config copy.txt
    5.9 KB · Views: 280
Freeze at Login After Direct Update from Yosemite

I'm having the same Issue. I was able to login a few time run el cap post install and clover, but now I just get the beach ball of doom. Luckily I do have a backup user, but it's a real inconvinouse. Booting in save mode had the same result. I tried booting from my flash drive's clover and it still didn't work. I'm considering deleting the main user and re-transering the user over from a backup to see if that resolves the issue. Any help or ideas would be great :)

PS: Tonight I'm going to try removing any login items and see if that resolves the issue along with any saved application states, and maybe delete hardware monitor. It's worth noting I am able to log in under SSH using that user.

Last edited:

boot flag nv_disable=1
install nvidia web driver

Thanks for your idea Amylowellow. Unfortunately for me at least nv_disable=1 only had the same effect as the safe boot flag -x and was unable to allow me to log in :/

Sorry I forgot to include my specs in my first post:
Q6600 on a G33 intel mobo 8GB RAM
EVGA GTX-660 FTW
Also to clarify I was not using the Nvidia web driver but the card seems to be fully supported using the apple default driver)

In my experiment today I tried deleting all my caches, launch agents, saved application states, HW Monitor, still nothing has resolved the issue. Tomorrow I'm going to try removing my preferences.

Hi - I was finally able to boot after unchecking 'kext-dev-mode=1' under the 'Boot' menu of Clover Configurator. I hope that helps.

Unfortunately, that didn't work for me. I ended up having to rename my ~/Library/Preferences folder. This will allow you to log in (assuming we had the same things wrong), from there, create a new administrator user. Then log out and then into that new user, delete your current user, then use migration assistant to re-migrate your user folder from your backup. I hope this thread is help to anyone else who has this problem in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back