Contribute
Register

[Solved]Fixes to Get Full Acceleration on Intel HD Graphics in iMac 17.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it has something to do with it because it doesn't work without that when using iMac14,2

You have GTX 970 and Intel HD gfx enabled? Can you share your config.plist and copy of IORegistry? Thanks.

You have GTX 970 and Intel HD gfx enabled? Can you share your config.plist and copy of IORegistry? Thanks.

I have my 970 as the primary so the only display is attached to that. The Intel HD4600 can be used for rendering in programs that utilize QuickSync and AirPlay Mirroring is also enabled.
Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 1.01.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 1.00.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 1.02.54 PM.png

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.7 KB · Views: 581
  • Hack Pro.ioreg
    8.3 MB · Views: 441
I have my 970 as the primary so the only display is attached to that. The Intel HD4600 can be used for rendering in programs that utilize QuickSync and AirPlay Mirroring is also enabled.

Thanks. Can you share your ACPI/patched folder from Clover please? I try to achieved result like you, but somehow I fail.
Im using guide from here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/amd-nvidia-primary-display-with-airplay-mirroring.118662/

PS: From your IOreg it looks like you don't rename all GFX0 instances in DSDT, because you have both GFX0 and IGPU listed. Im curious how you do this.

Last edited:
Thanks. Can you share your ACPI/patched folder from Clover please? I try to achieved result like you, but somehow I fail.
Im using guide from here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/amd-nvidia-primary-display-with-airplay-mirroring.118662/

PS: From your IOreg it looks like you don't rename all GFX0 instances in DSDT, because you have both GFX0 and IGPU listed. Im curious how you do this.

Here are the two relevant files. Now some of it might be in conflict with itself but for me, it works. I admit I am not that well versed in DSDT/SSDT setup.

*ssdt deleted at the request of Toleda.

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    74.1 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
On the applelife resource, quick sync was made to 17.1 using the shiki's user-mode cake and patcher. On my configuration without discrete graphics, hardware decoding works fine. Hardware encoding Quick Sync works only in MacX Video Converter 6, Quicktime (screen capture) and in other programs Movavi. Final Cut, Compressor, Handbrake and Adobe Media Encoder use only the decoder, and during the encoding in h264 they use OpenCl and Metal API, not Quick Sync. Maybe because I have one built-in card on the system, in which there should be any discrete graphics.

In the attachment, the assembled files are. These kexts should not be used with Lilu earlier versions, they are assembled to work with each other. Lilu + AppleALC for Realtek (887) sound, Shiki and Lily + IntelGraphicsFixup for HD530, in Clover config.list for a single HD530, you need to add boot (arg) -shikigva to get hardware acceleration on the HD530. (See my config.plist). HibernationFixup with nvram which is available for writing, like mine, prevents awakening problems. NvidiaGraphicsFixup - patch AppleGraphicsPolicy if you use discrete Nvidia card (700 - 900 series), but I did not check it, I only use built-in graphics. The console application VDADecoderCheckerSierra allows you to check if hardware acceleration is working. In my config, which I attached , Intel Speed Shift is enabled instead of Speed Step. This does not affect the result, hardware decoding works anyway. Sierra 10.12.4 with Clover v.4049. Sierra from Appstore, updated from 10.12.3. I hope this will be useful information.

screenshot1.png

http://4ksamples.com/4k-chimei-inn-60mbps/

The link to the video 4K, which is launched during the screenshot.
Pay attention to the Intel Power Gadget window, - the CPU frequency does not even reach the maximum, and the GT shows low values. (GT shows high values in 3D and OpenCL) And look at the processor load in the iStat Monitor window. In this case, Quicktime uses the quick sync hardware decoder. This is "iMac 17.1" and Sierra 10.12.4 with Intel HD530 graphics.

There is another useful patch in my config in the attachment. This patch allows you to play without freezes on skylake videos with DRM protection.
It's very simple.

Screenshot2.png

Do not use this patch. It's out of date, use new versions IntelGraphicsFixup.kext instead.

Attachments

• VDA.zip
    692.2 KB · Views: 650
  • 261044_ff7a02d9cb1b54c9ca65680e4187e8bc.png
    261044_ff7a02d9cb1b54c9ca65680e4187e8bc.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,818
Last edited:
On the applelife resource, quick sync was made to 17.1 using the shiki's user-mode cake and patcher. On my configuration without discrete graphics, hardware decoding works fine. Hardware encoding Quick Sync works only in MacX Video Converter 6, Quicktime (screen capture) and in other programs Movavi. Final Cut, Compressor, Handbrake and Adobe Media Encoder use only the decoder, and during the encoding in h264 they use OpenCl and Metal API, not Quick Sync. Maybe because I have one built-in card on the system, in which there should be any discrete graphics.

In the attachment, the assembled files are. These kexts should not be used with Lilu earlier versions, they are assembled to work with each other. Lilu + AppleALC for Realtek (887) sound, Shiki and Lily + IntelGraphicsFixup for HD530, in Clover config.list for a single HD530, you need to add boot (arg) -shikigva to get hardware acceleration on the HD530. (See my config.plist). HibernationFixup with nvram which is available for writing, like mine, prevents awakening problems. NvidiaGraphicsFixup - patch AppleGraphicsPolicy if you use discrete Nvidia card (700 - 900 series), but I did not check it, I only use built-in graphics. The console application VDADecoderCheckerSierra allows you to check if hardware acceleration is working. In my config, which I attached , Intel Speed Shift is enabled instead of Speed Step. This does not affect the result, hardware decoding works anyway. Sierra 10.12.4 with Clover v.4049. Sierra from Appstore, updated from 10.12.3. I hope this will be useful information.

View attachment 247224

http://4ksamples.com/4k-chimei-inn-60mbps/

The link to the video 4K, which is launched during the screenshot.
Pay attention to the Intel Power Gadget window, - the CPU frequency does not even reach the maximum, and the GT shows low values. (GT shows high values in 3D and OpenCL) And look at the processor load in the iStat Monitor window. In this case, Quicktime uses the quick sync hardware decoder. This is "iMac 17.1" and Sierra 10.12.4 with Intel HD530 graphics.

There is another useful patch in my config in the attachment. This patch allows you to play without freezes on skylake videos with DRM protection.
It's very simple.
View attachment 247226
This is very helpful i think. Where is the kext to be installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back