Contribute
Register

[Solved] First hackintosh, “still waiting for root device” and prohibitory sign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afterthought : You might try with the DSDT attached to Post #4 here.

Ah crap, just saw this now after I finished installing Yosemite (Yosemite installed on the computer super easily, didn't have to change any flags or anything). Since I'd rather have Sierra than Yosemite, I'll try this.

Thanks for your help.

No other ideas.

Afterthought : You might try with the DSDT attached to Post #4 here.

Sadly, after following all of those steps, it still did not work. The USB ports still stop working.

If anyone else has any other suggestions, I would be happy to hear them. If not, I guess I'll stick to Yosemite.

53BF034C-4ED8-4096-BD99-AE7C2ED91A5E.jpeg
Solved!

I was able to get Sierra working. I used an external HDD to install and that seemed to do the trick I guess.

View attachment 350471 Solved!

I was able to get Sierra working. I used an external HDD to install and that seemed to do the trick I guess.
could you share this for me? i have same problem and other fix not work. i have try USB 2 and USB 3 but it still not work

could you share this for me? i have same problem and other fix not work. i have try USB 2 and USB 3 but it still not work

Hey,

Sorry, I don’t think I can help you with this. This was awhile back and after doing that there were so many problems that I actually gave up and eventually bought a Mac because I ran into so many driver and kext issues that it wasn’t worth it with this machine.

Hello. Did you use 'UEFI Boot Mode'? Booted in verbose mode or simply in 'Boot OS X Install from Install macOS'?

Thank you.

Hello. Did you use 'UEFI Boot Mode'? Booted in verbose mode or simply in 'Boot OS X Install from Install macOS'?

Thank you.
Hey,

I dont know anymore, sorry. This post is over 6months old and if you read my last post, I just bought a Mac

"Still waiting for root device".
When booting from USB means that there is a problem finding a valid System folder to start up from on your USB flash drive.
This is usually because the flash drive is in a USB3 port.
If this is the case move it to a USB2 port, if it is already in a USB2 port move it to another and try again.
Repeat until you have tried all USB ports.
Use a USB2 flash drive.
If it still doesn't work you could try another flash drive.
Try connecting your USB flash drive using a USB2 hub.
You might also try enabling Legacy on your USB3 ports in your BIOS settings.
Set XHCI Handoff to Enabled in your BIOS settings.
Ensure that Fast Boot is not enabled in your BIOS settings.
macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 requires a new USB Port Limit patch.

With the DC7900 you must boot with -f UseKernelCache=No or you will lose access to your USB ports and network.

The option to change to USB 2.0 might not have worked with him but worked for me. Thanks!

The option to change to USB 2.0 might not have worked with him but worked for me. Thanks!
Hi, for this problem use a USB hub. I passed problem by just attaching flash to a usb hub on Lenovo e540

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back