Contribute
Register

[Solved] Firewire Audio with StarTech PEX1394B3 on High Sierra (10.13.6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
Intel BX80684I78700K 8th Gen Core i7-8700K
Graphics
Intregrated only
I just built my first hackintosh (woohoo!) and have most of the things that I need working, including class compliant USB audio devices. I would really like to add Firewire audio, so I purchased a StarTech PEX1394B3 as recommended here.

The card is recognized just fine and my trusty Presonus StudioLive 16.0.2 mixer with firewire shows up in System Report when I connect it. So far so good.

However, after installing the firewire drivers from Presonus (called "Universal Control"), no audio device appears in the Audio Midi Setup utility on the hackintosh. Universal Control reports that the mixer firmware is up to date (which is accurate), so I'm guessing that it "sees" the device just fine but that some audio parts are "missing" somehow.

Perhaps I need to add a kext to make this work? I have seen firewire kexts mentioned in other posts but have no clue which one I need...

Edit: I forgot to mention that everything works perfectly when I boot up in Windows 10, so it is definitely a MacOS issue.

Last edited:
OK, problem solved. Turned out I had downloaded an old driver from the Presonus website by mistake.

The StarTech card just works without any tinkering... awesome!

No, I just worked :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back