Contribute
Register

[Solved] Finder app crashes - not usable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97p-d3
CPU
Intel Core i5 4570 : Haswell
Graphics
Gigabyte NVidia GeForce GTX 780
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,

I have recently done something to my hackintosh build... not really sure what?

OSX Siera - specs linked
https://www.dropbox.com/s/geunxvjqvrff2s7/Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 7.39.25 PM.png?dl=0

So basically my finder app crashes when I do the following tasks...

open a new window CMD +N
open a new tab CMD + T
open window using the icon visable when viewing applications from dock
Switching to list view
switching to column view

When ever I try to use finder it crashes... or reloads closing some of the windows I had open at the time...
Its not really useable at all.

I turned on guest users and logged in to check if it was system wide or just my account... the guest user reacted in the same way.

After looking around online I saw that removing my preferences was one option so I did that. I have now lost my finder settings and the issue still remains...

I have also cleared my system cache folders... No luck.

I have also booted into safe mode and the issue still happens?

Is it possible to copy the finder app from my laptop over to my Hackintosh build? would that possibly fix it or open up another can of worms?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Hello,

I have recently done something to my hackintosh build... not really sure what?

OSX Siera - specs linked
https://www.dropbox.com/s/geunxvjqvrff2s7/Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 7.39.25 PM.png?dl=0

So basically my finder app crashes when I do the following tasks...

open a new window CMD +N
open a new tab CMD + T
open window using the icon visable when viewing applications from dock
Switching to list view
switching to column view

When ever I try to use finder it crashes... or reloads closing some of the windows I had open at the time...
Its not really useable at all.

I turned on guest users and logged in to check if it was system wide or just my account... the guest user reacted in the same way.

After looking around online I saw that removing my preferences was one option so I did that. I have now lost my finder settings and the issue still remains...

I have also cleared my system cache folders... No luck.

I have also booted into safe mode and the issue still happens?

Is it possible to copy the finder app from my laptop over to my Hackintosh build? would that possibly fix it or open up another can of worms?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
OK SO I MANAGED TO FIX THE ISSUE

I logged onto my work laptop and copied the finder.app from ‘/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app’ to my faulty Mac **zipped it whilst moving it**.

Once on the faulty Mac I renamed the new Finder.app to Finder2.app and placed it in the ‘CoreServices’ folder.

Once both finders were in the folder I used the following commands to rename them

sudo mv /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder_old.app

Followed by

sudo mv /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder2.app /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app

After this I forced a relaunch on the app…

Everything seems to be ok now?

Fingers crossed.

OMG... Thank you! I had been dealing with this issue for weeks and was on the verge of doing a fresh install. Didn't even think about doing this till I saw your post. So far it's fixed the issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back