Contribute
Register

[Solved] Failure Trying To Install High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't specifically set the boot flags when booting with the installer. Rather they seem to be a holdover from the boot flags that I had set when booting Sierra from the original hard drive (using "uia_exclude" to stay within the USB port limit).

I've attached a picture of the Clover screen again. It may have something to do with the weird way that the ASRock motherboard handles its boot entries. In the past I had to go to the shell from the boot loader and execute a bcfg command to specify the specific UEFI file to boot (see this link, post #4)

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/anyone-with-asrock-z77-pro3-motherboard.176172/#post1130914

I'm a little confused as to where the boot flags are coming from.View attachment 310256

I don't think you need that anymore since you have installed RehabMan's USBInjectAll.kext in CLOVER.
Just go ahead and boot with [√] FixOwnership in "USB" section in config.plist_Devices and upload verbose boot screen for the effect of that change and not editing the rest of CLOVER uploaded to the Forum.

I don't think you need that anymore since you have installed RehabMan's USBInjectAll.kext in CLOVER.
Just go ahead and boot with [√] FixOwnership in "USB" section in config.plist_Devices and upload verbose boot screen for the effect of that change and not editing the rest of CLOVER uploaded to the Forum.

OK, I tried booting with only the "FixOwnerShip" flag selected in the Config.plist. Boot hangs with gIOScreenLockState message. From what I can see on the forums this can happened if I'm trying to boot with an Nvidia graphics card. However I don't have a card and I have selected PCI Express as the graphic option in the BIOS settings (see pics).

I have attached pictures of

1) Config screens for config.plist from HS USB installer
2) Copy of the Clover folder from HS USB installer
3) Pictures of BIOS setup screens
4) Screen at point which the install hangs

Any ideas?

Attachments

• CCV Screens.zip
    21.7 MB · Views: 60
  • CLOVER.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 59
  • BIOS Screens.zip
    10.9 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1557.JPG
    IMG_1557.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 95
OK, I tried booting with only the "FixOwnerShip" flag selected in the Config.plist. Boot hangs with gIOScreenLockState message. From what I can see on the forums this can happened if I'm trying to boot with an Nvidia graphics card. However I don't have a card and I have selected PCI Express as the graphic option in the BIOS settings (see pics).

I have attached pictures of

1) Config screens for config.plist from HS USB installer
2) Copy of the Clover folder from HS USB installer
3) Pictures of BIOS setup screens
4) Screen at point which the install hangs

Any ideas?

Update to my previous post. You will see from the BIOS pictures that I had incorrectly set the Primary Graphics as PCI Express. However I have now changed this to be "Onboard" (the only other option and the one which I believe tells the MoBO to use the integrated graphics) but I still get the same gIOLockScreenState error on booting.

Not sure what to try next?

Update to my previous post. You will see from the BIOS pictures that I had incorrectly set the Primary Graphics as PCI Express. However I have now changed this to be "Onboard" (the only other option and the one which I believe tells the MoBO to use the integrated graphics) but I still get the same gIOLockScreenState error on booting.

Not sure what to try next?

Do I need to have the Lilu and IntelGraphicsFixUp kexts installed in /kexts/other during the initial installation process? I seem to recall that I installed these after the initial setup when I configured Sierra.

Do I need to have the Lilu and IntelGraphicsFixUp kexts installed in /kexts/other during the initial installation process? I seem to recall that I installed these after the initial setup when I configured Sierra.
You don't necessarily have to but it will be good to have and wouldn't hurt to have them in CLOVER/kexts/Other of USB Installer and you can easily copy them to your System disk from it once installation is completed.

In fact, just like you carry Multibeast on the Installer USB's System partition as a piggyback ride to the Desktop for later use for fixing the System disk, these kexts can be used for the System disk. Depending up on the free space in the 16GB USB Flash Disk, you can carry other tools too; I do.

Last edited:
You don't necessarily have to but it will be good to have and wouldn't hurt to have them in CLOVER/kexts/Other of USB Installer and you can easily copy them to your System disk from it once installation is completed.

In fact, just like you carry Multibeast on the Installer USB's System partition as a piggyback ride to the Desktop for later use for fixing the System disk, these kexts can be used for the System disk. Depending up on the free space in the 16GB USB Flash Disk, you can carry others tools too; I do.

Thanks for the feedback. I will try booting with them on the USB as suggested.

Any ideas why I can't get past the gIOLockScreen error? I just tried booting with the USB installer that I used for Sierra and I was able to get to the OS X install screen. Unfortunately it wouldn't allow me to go further because it seems to recognize that the hard drive has previously been formatted with AFPS.

Would one solution be to boot with my Sierra clone, reformat the drive and then install Sierra. I believe that I have a copy of the final config.plist for the stable Sierra build which may speed up configuration.

Your thoughts on this approach?

Thanks for the feedback. I will try booting with them on the USB as suggested.

Any ideas why I can't get past the gIOLockScreen error? I just tried booting with the USB installer that I used for Sierra and I was able to get to the OS X install screen. Unfortunately it wouldn't allow me to go further because it seems to recognize that the hard drive has previously been formatted with AFPS.

Would one solution be to boot with my Sierra clone, reformat the drive and then install Sierra. I believe that I have a copy of the final config.plist for the stable Sierra build which may speed up configuration.

Your thoughts on this approach?

Any ideas why I can't get past the gIOLockScreen error?
  • when booting with which disk? USB Installer disk or System SSD?
    • Whatever disk encounters that Verbose boot screen error you have paraphrased, has a problem loading Graphics kexts and fails with that "gIOLockScreen error"
      • The cause can be in the BIOS or CLOVER or Monitor connection.
      • That is why we are asking you to provide BIOS screen shots showing your Selection of Graphics card for the boot and its Video Memory (and that you have DISABLED in the BIOS any other graphics that would confuse CLOVER)
      • The Display Monitor must be connected via Digital cable and the
      • CLOVER must have the Right kexts in its /kext/Other
      • The config.plist must have the right instructions to choose the Graphics that is Enabled in the BIOS

I just tried booting with the USB installer that I used for Sierra and I was able to get to the OS X install screen. Unfortunately it wouldn't allow me to go further because it seems to recognize that the hard drive has previously been formatted with AFPS.
  • Are you changing the disk from your USB installer to the System Disk from CBM screen?
    • If that is the case, the problem is with that System disk.
  • If you are continuing to boot the USB installer from CBM screen and it finds issues, the problem is with the "USB installer that I used for Sierra" and NOT with the APFS formatted SSD that you are not booting but found by the USB installer on CBM screen because it has a CLOVER bootloader and some System files (but may not have everything needed to reach its destination screen and hence it is failing).
  • What could make my answers better will be for you to upload the image of Clover Boot Manager(CBM) screen showing the disk icons and the image of Verbose boot screen showing the problem. In that situation you are actually sharing your computer screen display with the readers.

I copied the latest versions of the Lilu and IntelGraphicsFixUp into the /kexts/other folder on the EFI partition of the High Sierra USB stick. I also specified "nv_disbable=1" as a boot flag in Clover (I noted that this was set on my Sierra boot).

The above seemed to do the trick and I now have a fresh install of High Sierra on the machine. No doubt there will be a few additional glitches to overcome as I try to finalize the configuration of the machine however things seem to be working for the present.

Huge thanks to cnm699 for his insight and advice in making the HS install work. I couldn't, as they say, have done it without him!

I copied the latest versions of the Lilu and IntelGraphicsFixUp into the /kexts/other folder on the EFI partition of the High Sierra USB stick. I also specified "nv_disbable=1" as a boot flag in Clover (I noted that this was set on my Sierra boot).

The above seemed to do the trick and I now have a fresh install of High Sierra on the machine. No doubt there will be a few additional glitches to overcome as I try to finalize the configuration of the machine however things seem to be working for the present.

Huge thanks to cnm699 for his insight and advice in making the HS install work. I couldn't, as they say, have done it without him!
  • Glad you made it to the Desktop with the newly installed System Disk.
  • Once you partitioned and Formatted the SSD with GPT/HFS+J (or APFS) in Disk Utility at the Installation screen, it has an empty EFI. The System Disk has NO CLOVER and cannot boot without the USB installer until you install a boot loader for it.
  • It is in this empty EFI partition you have to create an EFI Folder containing CLOVER folder that has the full Folder and file structure that makes this System SSD with macOS Sierra a self-sufficient bootable System disk to boot through BIOS>CBM Screen>Login Screen>Desktop.
  • That step is very crucial and often error prone:
  • Common areas of problem I have seen in those asking for help in this Forum are:
    • CLOVER/kexts/Other DOES NOT have the required kexts to make the disk self-sufficient:
      • Latest FakeSMC.kext
      • Latest special kexts for the Graphics used such as:
        • Lilu.kext
        • Intel GraphicsFixUp.kext for Intel HD Graphics
        • NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext for Nvidia Graphics
        • WhateverGreen.kext for ATI/AMD Radeon Graphics
    • Empty numbered folders like 10.6 to 10.13 in /CLOVER/kexts just causing unnecessary 'road blocks' for Clover to locate the needed kexts in /CLOVER/kexts/Other
    • Forgetting to install required Special Support Graphics kexts mentioned above into /S/L/E
    • Not installing APFS.efi for the version of macOS High Sierra into /CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder.
    • NOT checking the config.plist to make sure all its menus like ACPI to System Parameters are filled correctly to make use of CLOVER resources properly for the boot with specific attention to:
      • Unchecking unneeded ACPI fixes
      • Making sure to edit "Boot" with required flags like in the Boot section of config.plist of USB installer disk that was successful in creating this system disk booting without failure and reaching its target the Installation screen.
      • Making Sure to edit "Devices" section to add required FakeID for the Graphics card used if indicated.
      • Editing "Gui" section >"Hide Volumes" to hide unwanted icons appearing in CBM screen to confuse in reboot
      • Editing "Graphics" menu to √ Inject"NameOfGraphics" you are required to select and add ig-platform-id of Intel Graphics and FB Name of Radeon Cards that need them
      • Editing Rt Variables> CsrActiveConfig = 0x67 in most cases and making it 0x0 temporarily if NvidiaWebdriver installation for certain cards requires temporarily Enabling SIP
      • Editing SMBIOS for selection of appropriate "Product Name" closer in years to the CPU/MoBo manufacturing year
      • Editing System Parameters check boxes for [√]NvidiaWeb for Nvidia Card using Webdrivers with "Inject Kexts" "Yes "
    • Prematurely ejecting the USB installer before making sure the System can boot with its own CLOVER.

• Glad you made it to the Desktop with the newly installed System Disk.
  • Once you partitioned and Formatted the SSD with GPT/HFS+J (or APFS) in Disk Utility at the Installation screen, it has an empty EFI. The System Disk has NO CLOVER and cannot boot without the USB installer until you install a boot loader for it.
  • It is in this empty EFI partition you have to create an EFI Folder containing CLOVER folder that has the full Folder and file structure that makes this System SSD with macOS Sierra a self-sufficient bootable System disk to boot through BIOS>CBM Screen>Login Screen>Desktop.
  • That step is very crucial and often error prone:
  • Common areas of problem I have seen in those asking for help in this Forum are:
    • CLOVER/kexts/Other DOES NOT have the required kexts to make the disk self-sufficient:
      • Latest FakeSMC.kext
      • Latest special kexts for the Graphics used such as:
        • Lilu.kext
        • Intel GraphicsFixUp.kext for Intel HD Graphics
        • NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext for Nvidia Graphics
        • WhateverGreen.kext for ATI/AMD Radeon Graphics
    • Empty numbered folders like 10.6 to 10.13 in /CLOVER/kexts just causing unnecessary 'road blocks' for Clover to locate the needed kexts in /CLOVER/kexts/Other
    • Forgetting to install required Special Support Graphics kexts mentioned above into /S/L/E
    • Not installing APFS.efi for the version of macOS High Sierra into /CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder.
    • NOT checking the config.plist to make sure all its menus like ACPI to System Parameters are filled correctly to make use of CLOVER resources properly for the boot with specific attention to:
      • Unchecking unneeded ACPI fixes
      • Making sure to edit "Boot" with required flags like in the Boot section of config.plist of USB installer disk that was successful in creating this system disk booting without failure and reaching its target the Installation screen.
      • Making Sure to edit "Devices" section to add required FakeID for the Graphics card used if indicated.
      • Editing "Gui" section >"Hide Volumes" to hide unwanted icons appearing in CBM screen to confuse in reboot
      • Editing "Graphics" menu to √ Inject"NameOfGraphics" you are required to select and add ig-platform-id of Intel Graphics and FB Name of Radeon Cards that need them
      • Editing Rt Variables> CsrActiveConfig = 0x67 in most cases and making it 0x0 temporarily if NvidiaWebdriver installation for certain cards requires temporarily Enabling SIP
      • Editing SMBIOS for selection of appropriate "Product Name" closer in years to the CPU/MoBo manufacturing year
      • Editing System Parameters check boxes for [√]NvidiaWeb for Nvidia Card using Webdrivers with "Inject Kexts" "Yes "
    • Prematurely ejecting the USB installer before making sure the System can boot with its own CLOVER.

I appreciate all your help. I managed to run the Mac OS configuration and then MultiBeast to install the various kexts specific to my system.

I then ran the Migration Assistant to restore files from the Time Machine backup disk that I was using with the Sierra install. I haven't checked in person however the person that owns the machine has indicated that Migration Assistant not only restored their user files bit also successfully configured iMessage .

Initially I didn't restore the Applications folder as I was worried that there would be a mismatch between Sierra and High Sierra apps. However on further reading I think that Mac OS ought to be intelligent enough not to restore the Sierra Mac apps to a High Sierra system and that restoring apps will allow me to get my Microsoft Office apps working with minimal fuss. Is this correct?

I haven't yet tested audio for the new installation - this may be an area that requires some further testing and work. I'll keep you updated with regard to what I find.

One further question I have is how to finalize the USB configuration. For the Sierra install I created a specific SSDT following this guide from ReHabman.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/

I also used the "uia_exclude" flag in Clover to disable certain USB ports on the motherboard in order to stay below the USB port limit.

I still have the SSDT file that I created - can I (or should I?) install this file for use in High Sierra or do I need to do something different in order to finalize the USB configuration?

Thanks again for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back