Contribute
Register

[Solved] Extra boot option entires

Status
Not open for further replies.
The BBS path is used by your firmware for booting the old MBR way, you can ignore it. And you can add a permanent entry for Clover in EFI shell
Code:
fs0:
cd efi
cd clover
bcfg boot add 0 cloverx64.efi "Clover"

Does this remove that entry entirely?
And how do I correct that first boot entry to be my real SSD entry?
Is there like a guide with all the commands for Shell I could possibly read?

Does this remove that entry entirely?
And how do I correct that first boot entry to be my real SSD entry?
Is there like a guide that I can with all the commands for Shell?
In EFI shell
Code:
help
For help with a specific command
Code:
help bcfg
Use page up/page down keys to scroll console output

UEFI does not boot from disks. The entries we are concerned with are always a hard drive partition + a path to a file.

There is a good overview of UEFI available here. Apart from that there is the UEFI specification, and source code examples you can find by googling 'EFI device path'

Last edited:
In EFI shell
Code:
help
For help with a specific command
Code:
help bcfg
Use page up/page down keys to scroll console output

UEFI does not boot from disks. The entries we are concerned with are always a hard drive partition + a path to a file.

There is a good overview of UEFI available here. Apart from that there is the UEFI specification, and source code examples you can find by googling 'EFI device path'

Ok I've read half, thats a lot of information to crunch with all the shell commands at once
Basically what you did with those commands you gave me is just create a new entry called Clover that points to clover's boot loader on the EFI partition of my main SSD drive, I guess this is done to eliviate the guess work for the UEFI firmware and just go straight to Clover?

So do I even still need those other entires? using bcfg boot rm on both of them doesn't work, they always come back.

I also noticed that in the BIOS I've had Storage Boot Option Control set to Legacy. so I've switched it to UEFI only setting.

Last edited:
So do I even still need those other entires? using bcfg boot rm on both of them doesn't work, they always come back.
The UEFI entry for /efi/boot/bootx64.efi is created automatically. As your firmware is no longer saving instances across multiple boots the behaviour is as expected.
also noticed that in the BIOS I've had Storage Boot Option Control set to Legacy. so I've switched it to UEFI only setting.
This may prevent firmware automatically creating a BBS entry for your SSD, but if it doesn't there's not much you can do.

From your description it sounds like everything is working properly, upgrading to an F2X firmware version has solved the problem of the extra boot options.
I guess this is done to eliviate the guess work for the UEFI firmware and just go straight to Clover
Theres no guess work, your firmware will have hardcoded paths it scans, these might include paths to the windows bootloader and /efi/boot/bootx64.efi whatever that file may be. The permanent path to clover should be added, that way whatever changes may occur in the future you will always be able to include it in the boot order.

From your description it sounds like everything is working properly, upgrading to an F2X firmware version has solved the problem of the extra boot options.

The main issue is fixed indeed, ill change it to solved.

The other questions are side questions so I can understand everything better.
By the way... Is that method ive used to include clover in the boot options is hard coded to this specific clover only on this EFI?
if I for example want to include an entry for a USB device that also has an EFI with clover, does it also have to be hard coded there?

Thats why I was not sure why to include it n the first place, because what if I boot from a USB device?
I won't have that clover option for the SSD then do I?

Thats why I was not sure why to include it n the first place, because what if I boot from a USB device?
I won't have that clover option for the SSD then do I?
It specifies clover on that SSD, identified by the partition GUID and the path to the file. Bootable USB drives are handled automatically via the /efi/boot/ folder, removable media are not expected to have permanent entries, nor are the fallback paths used to boot these devices intended to be used for booting permanently installed operating systems installed on internal drives. Don't add your own entries to the fallback boot files, unexpected behaviour will result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back