Contribute
Register

[Solved] Ethernet doesn't appear anywhere after fresh install!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z77-DS3H
CPU
Core i7-3770
Graphics
Nvidia GeForce GTX 760
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I just did a fresh install of Sierra, and everything seems to be working great so far! EXCEPT:

I have a Z77-DS3H motherboard (rev 1.1), and I'm trying to get my Ethernet to show up so I can get iMessage working. Only my Wifi and Bluetooth show up under Network, and under Ethernet Cards in the system profiler, it says "This computer does not appear to have any PCI Ethernet cards installed."

After spending a few hours researching, the one fix that seemed to keep popping up was using the AtherosL1cEthernet.kext (like here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/no-ethernet-on-el-capitan-with-clover.178550/#post-1149288 )- first I tried setting it up in Clover, but that didn't seem to work.

So I installed it using KextBeast- in System/Library/Extensions first, and then L/E, but NO DICE.

I haven't set up a serial number in Clover or anything yet- could that be an issue?

What the heck am I missing?! What should I do to get ethernet to be recognized here?

I just did a fresh install of Sierra, and everything seems to be working great so far! EXCEPT:

I have a Z77-DS3H motherboard (rev 1.1), and I'm trying to get my Ethernet to show up so I can get iMessage working. Only my Wifi and Bluetooth show up under Network, and under Ethernet Cards in the system profiler, it says "This computer does not appear to have any PCI Ethernet cards installed."

After spending a few hours researching, the one fix that seemed to keep popping up was using the AtherosL1cEthernet.kext (like here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/no-ethernet-on-el-capitan-with-clover.178550/#post-1149288 )- first I tried setting it up in Clover, but that didn't seem to work.

So I installed it using KextBeast- in System/Library/Extensions first, and then L/E, but NO DICE.

I haven't set up a serial number in Clover or anything yet- could that be an issue?

What the heck am I missing?! What should I do to get ethernet to be recognized here?
  • Please verify and confirm if your "BIOS Setup >Peripherals>PCH LAN Controller" is "ENABLED"
  • Please upload the image of the screen showing "Ethernet Cards>" under "Hardware" [ Apple>About this Mac >System Reports...>Hardware>Ethernet cards] see uploaded image as an example

• Is this a Dual boot if so, does LAN work in the other OS [ Windows or Linux]?
  • If you don't have another System, run a "Live Linux CD" [like Puppy Linux ] and most NICs have Linux drivers and will be detected, installed, and automatically or very easily configured to access the Internet.
  • If Windows and Linux cannot also get LAN, the LAN Chip is damaged.

Attachments

• Ethernet Cards.png
    Ethernet Cards.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,226
  • Please verify and confirm if your "BIOS Setup >Peripherals>PCH LAN Controller" is "ENABLED"
  • Please upload the image of the screen showing "Ethernet Cards>" under "Hardware" [ Apple>About this Mac >System Reports...>Hardware>Ethernet cards] see uploaded image as an example
  • Is this a Dual boot if so, does LAN work in the other OS [ Windows or Linux]?
  • If you don't have another System, run a "Live Linux CD" [like Puppy Linux ] and most NICs have Linux drivers and will be detected, installed, and automatically or very easily configured to access the Internet.
  • If Windows and Linux cannot also get LAN, the LAN Chip is damaged.

I did double check that it was Enabled in the BIOS earlier, and it is. (I really thought that might have been it for a moment!)

Okay, so I booted into Windows and this is what I got:
hixuusC.png

So it looks like the Ethernet (AR8161) is being read just fine on Windows!

Will UPDATE in just a moment back on Mac OS with the System Reports page- but it's basically blank with just ""This computer does not appear to have any PCI Ethernet cards installed." as I said!

Sooo so confused as to why this is just blank! :crazy:

Attachments

• where is my ethernet sierra.jpg
    where is my ethernet sierra.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 522

Follow (Guide) Z77-DS3H with Nvidia GTX 760 using Clover UEFI Hotpatch | tonymacx86.com. Note that ALXEthernet has issues in Sierra.

Thanks! But it sounds like you set up your build with a separate Ethernet card?

Correct. I added a PCI-E Intel NIC to my Desktop. Onboard Ethernet has issues. ALXEthernet is out of date and no longer updated hasn't worked properly since 10.9.

Correct. I added a PCI-E Intel NIC to my Desktop. Onboard Ethernet has issues. ALXEthernet is out of date and no longer updated hasn't worked properly since 10.9.

At this point, I just want Ethernet to appear in the system, it doesn't actually have to be fully functional (I use wifi because of where the router is situated) Maybe I will try to install one of the options in MultiBeast and see how that goes...

At this point, I just want Ethernet to appear in the system, it doesn't actually have to be fully functional (I use wifi because of where the router is situated) Maybe I will try to install one of the options in MultiBeast and see how that goes...

Attach output of
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

Attach output of
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

This is what I got:

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakeSMC.kext

kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/AtherosL1cEthernet.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load

AppleDataSetManagement.kext - dependency for com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage lacks valid OSBundleCompatibleVersion.

AppleDataSetManagement.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

AppleDataSetManagement.kext - dependency for com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage lacks valid OSBundleCompatibleVersion.

KernelCache ID: 25FC43FCEC402566359DFB8F1DE5495B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back