Graphics
MSI GTX 970
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So I was an idiot and enabled filevault without thinking to check if it would cause problems. I cannot boot as a result. Looking online it seemed that I could turn off the encryption on another partion or usb install disk, but when I try that the option I can unlock the disk but the disable encryption option in diskutility is grayed out and when I try via terminal I get an error saying this core storage operation is not allowed on a sparse logical volume group. Does anyone have any idea if there are any other solutions to this?

If there is no conventional remedy, would any problems arise from just copying the user and application folders and moving them to a fresh install?

You are not the first, we have had many users reporting this problem,
use the forum Search tool for more info :

http://www.tonymacx86.com/search/299059/?q=filevault&o=date

I used the search tool before making this thread and followed https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2...ecrypt-your-filevault-2-encrypted-boot-drive/ . This guide which was successful for others, but i got the above errors from my original post. I'm thinking its not working because the conversion process is still ongoing. I currently shows up as not being reversible, so I'm going to wait for it to finish encrypting and then try again.

Last edited:
If anyone else stumbles upon this thread, I found the solution. Booting to another partion or rescue usb and following https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2...ecrypt-your-filevault-2-encrypted-boot-drive/ is the correct answer. My original problem was the drive not showing up as reversible. I simply had to wait for the encryption to complete (took 8 hours for me) and then it changed and allowed me to complete the above guide. Also your efi partion may or may not be screwed up so you may have to reinstall clover.

Just fixed this same issue for a Hack in the office.

You can follow the steps below and it should help.

Step 1: Plugin Unibeast Boot USB (You should already know how to create one by now)

Step 2: Mash F12 (whatever button for your MB)

Step 3: Choose USB as boot drive in boot loader

Step 4: One you enter your drive selection page, Choose External Boot OSX or something like that. Remember The EXTERNAL

Step 5: Wait for it to load & choose language

Step 6: Open Disk utility, You can get this from Utilities

Step 7: Choose your OSX partition (Main Drive, the one that you encrypted)

Step 8: Go to File, the Unlock HD & Close Disk utility.

Step 9: Open Terminal

Step 10: Run command diskutil list

Step 11: You should see all drives listed, Locate your Lock HD & Copy the UUID (code located above the line that states Unlocked Encrypted)

Step 12: Run command diskutil corestorage revert UUID_here -stdinpassphrase

Step 13: Enter password

Now it should run a few lines of code.. Go through it, quite easy for anyone to follow & it should be fixed. Pull your usb stick out and restart.. now everything will be back as normal

I used the search tool before making this thread and followed https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2...ecrypt-your-filevault-2-encrypted-boot-drive/ . This guide which was successful for others, but i got the above errors from my original post. I'm thinking its not working because the conversion process is still ongoing. I currently shows up as not being reversible, so I'm going to wait for it to finish encrypting and then try again.

This worked perfectly for me. I was worried I was going to have to wipe and restart and lost all of the work I had done.

Step 1: Plugin Unibeast Boot USB (You should already know how to create one by now)

Step 4: One you enter your drive selection page, Choose External Boot OSX or something like that. Remember The EXTERNAL

Step 11: You should see all drives listed, Locate your Lock HD & Copy the UUID (code located above the line that states Unlocked Encrypted)

Now it should run a few lines of code.. Go through it, quite easy for anyone to follow & it should be fixed. Pull your usb stick out and restart.. now everything will be back as normal

You saved my life!!

BIG THANKS.. working for me..
on step 8 just mount encrypted partition and enter your account password

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back