Contribute
Register

[Solved] easy fix for black screen after Clover update (10.11)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabite Z87MX-D3H
CPU
i5 4670K
Graphics
GTX 660
Edit: See post below for fix

Hello all,

Introduction: I updated clover because I was still running 10.11 and thought about an update. As my computer was identified as an older Mac Pro, OSX didn't let me update straight away. So I updated Clover, and guess what... Black screen after Clover screen on booting.

Been reading a lot of topics and found this thread with a really helpful walk through to replace OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi. Not my daily walk in the park, but with the explanation it should be doable.

But when I select Shell in the Clover screen something strange happens
5Qt53Be.jpg

I get in the Shell, but the Shift key on my keyboard is not functioning. Whenever I hold the shift key, pressing another key doesnt do anything. I can write in capital using the caps lock, but for opening the disks I really need the 'colon' :)).

kdWsRJq.jpg

I've already tried changing the XHCI mode in the bios but neither Auto, Disable or Enable works and plugging the keyboard in a 2.0 or 3.0 port doesn't help either.

Unfortunatly, it's this older Apple keyboard (picture for reference) is the only keyboard i've lying around, so I won't be able to test another one. When I plug it in my Macbook, the shiftkey does work. So it doesn't seem te be hardware related.

Wdg9imF.jpg

I'm a bit out of options right now, because I can't find another solution to get my computer back to life other than following the step by step explanation by MissCatD, but can't even get started with it without being able to use a colon in Shell.

Who can be my saviour? Thanks!

Last edited:
Solved!

Only in a different way.

I already ordered an extra ssd to make a clean installation when this problem couldn't be solved tomorrow and when looking up how to do that, I stumbled upon a very good explanation how to do that using clover. It described how to make a bootable USB with a clover instal and and explanation which options to choose during instalation of clover on the usb. It specificaly mentioned the OsxAptioFixDrv-64 and some useful kexts. I thought that I could try to boot my hackintosh with that usb and guess what, it worked! I was able to start up my computer and reïnstall Clover on my computer, this time with the OsxAptioFixDrv-64 option checked and the above mentioned kexts copy'ed to the EFI drive. Now it works like it did before, only my boot screen looks different thanks to a newer version of clover.

Maybe this is al very logical to the X86-diehards, but for a not so technical person like me, it can be very hard to find solutions, due to the fact that a lot of information is taken for granted, which for me is usually not the case. Anyhow, I'm probably stupid, i'm buying a real Mac next time and hope most of all someone else finds this thread helpful!

I am having the same issue with the Shift key not working in the UEFI Shell. I can type lower-case, press caps-lock and type upper-case, but nothing is typed when I try holding either shift key down. I have tried two different USB keyboard (non-mac specific) in front and back ports on the PC. Any thoughts on how to remedy this?

Solved!

Only in a different way.

I already ordered an extra ssd to make a clean installation when this problem couldn't be solved tomorrow and when looking up how to do that, I stumbled upon a very good explanation how to do that using clover. It described how to make a bootable USB with a clover instal and and explanation which options to choose during instalation of clover on the usb. It specificaly mentioned the OsxAptioFixDrv-64 and some useful kexts. I thought that I could try to boot my hackintosh with that usb and guess what, it worked! I was able to start up my computer and reïnstall Clover on my computer, this time with the OsxAptioFixDrv-64 option checked and the above mentioned kexts copy'ed to the EFI drive. Now it works like it did before, only my boot screen looks different thanks to a newer version of clover.

Maybe this is al very logical to the X86-diehards, but for a not so technical person like me, it can be very hard to find solutions, due to the fact that a lot of information is taken for granted, which for me is usually not the case. Anyhow, I'm probably stupid, i'm buying a real Mac next time and hope most of all someone else finds this thread helpful!

link not working

Having the same issue. Tried it with wireless and wired keyboards, Mac and PC keyboards. Without the shift key, no colon. Without the colon, can’t select a drive. Would love any insights into this.

Solved!

Only in a different way.

would love to see more detail on your solution.

I get in the Shell, but the Shift key on my keyboard is not functioning. Whenever I hold the shift key, pressing another key doesnt do anything. I can write in capital using the caps lock, but for opening the disks I really need the 'colon' :)).

I am having the same issue with the Shift key not working in the UEFI Shell.

Having the same issue. Tried it with wireless and wired keyboards, Mac and PC keyboards. Without the shift key, no colon. Without the colon, can’t select a drive. Would love any insights into this.

I come from this thread where I was having the exact same issue of the shift key not working in the Clover shell. Looks like it's a bug in recent Clover builds. I found this post during my search that put me in the right direction. Just install an older Clover build on a usb stick and boot from there. In my case build r4411 did the trick. I don't know how this could impact your particular issue, though…

Work for me.
in my case it was intermittent, I put an external HDMI monitor and I was able to configure. thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back