CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
HD 4600 // GTX 980
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
For some time I got the information that I should set DVMT to 64MB or lager, because my HDMI doesn´t still work.
So I decided to try the EFI-Shell method with this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...etting-dvmt-in-insydeh20-bios-laptops.165104/

I looked under the display adapter properties and my question is if it´s even necessary to make this process?
DVMT.PNG

For some time I got the information that I should set DVMT to 64MB or lager, because my HDMI doesn´t still work.
So I decided to try the EFI-Shell method with this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...etting-dvmt-in-insydeh20-bios-laptops.165104/

I looked under the display adapter properties and my question is if it´s even necessary to make this process?
View attachment 236789

I think you need to read more carefully...

IMPORTANT!: Contrary to many of the guides you will read, Windows is NOT a valid way to determine what DVMT-prealloc is set to. There is no correlation, especially with Windows 10.

Can I find it out with Linux?

Can I find it out with Linux?

I don't know of a method, but have not researched it either. You can check the current value with 'setup_var index' (after you determine the correct index from an IFR extract from BIOS).

So I made an IFR extract from BIOS...
But there is one big probelm: On my notebook is now the version 1.12 installed since I bought this notebook. So I downloaded the tools which are linked in the guide by Kinutsk. When I extract the .exe file there appaers two .fd files.
So I tried it out with both files and extracted the .ROM files like it is written in the guide.
Then I use the largest FE3542FE file and extracted a text file with IFR Extractor.
On both files I can´t identify the DVMT variable setting that I need to continue.

After that I downloaded the newest BIOS version (V.1.18) from the Acer website for my notebook. I did the same steps like above but three .fd files appeared.
I also extracted the IFR as a text file for each of the three files and then I foud that for what I search for...

I think that the version that I´m running now is not a "real" version, it is a little fix for the version before.
So to set DVMT to 64 MB or larger I must update my BIOS to the newest version.

My question is if I can update the BIOS normally like when I´m only running Windows 10 or could be an issue when I´m running Windows 10 and mac OS Sierra 10.12 in dual boot.
In post #43 of Kinutsk guide is written that before I should do this process, I should make a backup with a recovery. Should I do this with a program in windows or should I use the option that is present in my InsydeH20 Bios?

I will be glad when someone can answer my questions:)
BIOSfolder_V112.PNG
BIOSfolder_V118.PNG

Attachments

• BIOS_Website.PNG
    BIOS_Website.PNG
    33.4 KB · Views: 426
  • DVMTOptions.PNG
    DVMTOptions.PNG
    57.3 KB · Views: 418
So now I determined the correct index from an IFR extracted from BIOS...
DVMTOptions.PNG

The next step I will do is to create an USB 2.0 Stick with the UEFI Shell. To create this I must format the USB Stick as FAT32 in MBR and create the folders \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.efi, right?
Should I boot up the USB Stick in UEFI, but Secure Boot disabled or in legacy support mode?

When the DOS promt appaers, should I type in first this command 'setup_var index' to identify the size of the default DVMT or should I conitnue searching some information?
Until now I searched for some information about how I can find out the default DVMT, but I found nothing.

One question: In the guide by Kinutsk, he use the "setup_var 0x18C 0x3" code to set DVMT to 64 MB for OS X. From where he get the "0x18C" in the code, where can I find this code for my case?

I will be glad when someone can answer my questions, because to make changes in the BIOS is a big thing for me and I need more information to make this process.:)

So now I determined the correct index from an IFR extracted from BIOS...View attachment 237520

The next step I will do is to create an USB 2.0 Stick with the UEFI Shell. To create this I must format the USB Stick as FAT32 in MBR and create the folders \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.efi, right?
Should I boot up the USB Stick in UEFI, but Secure Boot disabled or in legacy support mode?

When the DOS promt appaers, should I type in first this command 'setup_var index' to identify the size of the default DVMT or should I conitnue searching some information?
Until now I searched for some information about how I can find out the default DVMT, but I found nothing.

One question: In the guide by Kinutsk, he use the "setup_var 0x18C 0x3" code to set DVMT to 64 MB for OS X. From where he get the "0x18C" in the code, where can I find this code for my case?

I will be glad when someone can answer my questions, because to make changes in the BIOS is a big thing for me and I need more information to make this process.:)

Must boot the UEFI shell in UEFI mode. Of course, secure boot will need to be disabled. I don't think CSM will matter either way.

Good idea to check the current value before attempting to set it...
Your index is 0x180, not 0x18C (look at your IFR data).
The value 0x2 would be 64MB, 0x3 would be for 96MB.
As you can see, different computers have different indexes/values for the same setting.

Thank you, RehabMan:thumbup: I will make a test in the next days before I will make the final apply:)

Stupid question: When I only boot up the UEFI Shell to run the command 'setup_var index' it won´t make changes to my system or brick my notebook, right?

I only ask it just to be safe:lol:

Thank you, RehabMan:thumbup: I will make a test in the next days before I will make the final apply:)

Stupid question: When I only boot up the UEFI Shell to run the command 'setup_var index' it won´t make changes to my system or brick my notebook, right?

I only ask it just to be safe:lol:

You won't be running 'setup_var index'... but instead 'setup_var 0x180'... which will tell you what the current setting is.

Should I format the USB Stick on Windows 10 or mac OS 10.12.2? Or doesn´t it matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back