Contribute
Register

[solved] Dual boot Issue on ProBook 4530s !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Motherboard OR System make and model names > See Rules!
CPU
i5 > Need full model number > See Rules!
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I have a Probook 4530s running Hackintosh since 2013.Now i am on ElCapitan with everything working very well.I have done dual boot before on my system and was successful but those time i used to do it on my system inbuilt hardrive.
Now i have a spare seagate hardrive from an old computer and want to install Windows 8.. I am using this hardrive with a SATA Enclosure. I have created a bootable Win 8.1 USB and trying to boot through EFI upon starting computer a
i reach to the installation page and while i try to install OS on the hardrive i get this error .

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. Setup does not support configuration of or installation to disks connected through a USB or IEEE 1394 port.

I have formatted the hardrive to NTFS with NTFS for mac..

What wrong/ step i am missing?

p.s i dont know much about computers and programming ,i just watch steps/methods and try to install the programme.

Attachments

• P_20180914_195519.jpg
    P_20180914_195519.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 291
I have a Probook 4530s running Hackintosh since 2013.Now i am on ElCapitan with everything working very well.I have done dual boot before on my system and was successful but those time i used to do it on my system inbuilt hardrive.
Now i have a spare seagate hardrive from an old computer and want to install Windows 8.. I am using this hardrive with a SATA Enclosure. I have created a bootable Win 8.1 USB and trying to boot through EFI upon starting computer a
i reach to the installation page and while i try to install OS on the hardrive i get this error .

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. Setup does not support configuration of or installation to disks connected through a USB or IEEE 1394 port.

I have formatted the hardrive to NTFS with NTFS for mac..

What wrong/ step i am missing?

p.s i dont know much about computers and programming ,i just watch steps/methods and try to install the programme.

You must be booting the Windows installer in UEFI mode.
As is mentioned in the error message, with UEFI, you must install to a GPT partitioned disk (not MBR).
You can delete all partitions from the target disk, then install to the disk itself (the Windows installer will then partition as GPT and install to a partition within).

You must be booting the Windows installer in UEFI mode.
As is mentioned in the error message, with UEFI, you must install to a GPT partitioned disk (not MBR).
You can delete all partitions from the target disk, then install to the disk itself (the Windows installer will then partition as GPT and install to a partition within).
Can i do it on the installation page opening command prompt? Right now i dont have a windows machine..

Can i do it on the installation page opening command prompt? Right now i dont have a windows machine..

You can delete partitions within the Windows installer itself.

BTW, I would not bother with Win81... go direct to Win10.

Ok I created a win 10 USB and tried the same.
from installer cleaned the disk and converted it to GPT ..
now it is only showing this error
"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. Setup does not support configuration of or installation to disks connected through a USB or IEEE 1394 portWindows cannot be installed to this disk. Setup does not support configuration of or installation to disks connected through a USB or IEEE 1394 port"

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. Setup does not support configuration of or installation to disks connected through a USB or IEEE 1394 portWindows cannot be installed to this disk. Setup does not support configuration of or installation to disks connected through a USB or IEEE 1394 port"

You must install to a device in the main SATA port. Don't expect you can install to a USB connected device.

Well, that was my main purpose.

What do you mean by 'that'?
You can probably install the SATA device into the main bay, then remove it after installation, put it in a USB enclosure (if that's what you want), then maybe still be able to boot it from Clover.
But there's probably a reason Microsoft doesn't want to have Windows installed on USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back