CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Running a super old Gigabyte EP45-UD3L here with GTX750. Most troublesome install to date I must say, but still amazed I can get a booted system with High Sierra after all these years of updates!

However, I managed to get booting system running only after a clean install. System drive is using APFS file system. Updating a cloned Sierra 10.12.6 install failed after multiple attempts.

Here's my main problem: Only one of my drives (a Samsung EVO SSD) is being recognized by the HS installer or HS in general. Of coarse, that recognized drive was not my main system drive that I intended to update to HS :rolleyes:

So far, I've followed all procedures & then some. apfs.efi is installed in /drivers64 (NOT /drivers64UEFI) since this is a non UEFI legacy board.
SATA AHCI mode is properly set in BIOS
Required kexts for booting this system include Fake SMC, NullCPUMgmt, and VoodooTSSync (for Xeon processor)

Perhaps a clover fix I'm unaware of will make my other drives (1 HFS+ SSD (Kingston) & 2 HFS+ HDDs) show up again?
Or do I need some sort of custom AppleAHCI.kext inject?

Running a super old Gigabyte EP45-UD3L here with GTX750. Most troublesome install to date I must say, but still amazed I can get a booted system with High Sierra after all these years of updates!

However, I managed to get booting system running only after a clean install. System drive is using APFS file system. Updating a cloned Sierra 10.12.6 install failed after multiple attempts.

Here's my main problem: Only one of my drives (a Samsung EVO SSD) is being recognized by the HS installer or HS in general. Of coarse, that recognized drive was not my main system drive that I intended to update to HS :rolleyes:

So far, I've followed all procedures & then some. apfs.efi is installed in /drivers64 (NOT /drivers64UEFI) since this is a non UEFI legacy board.
SATA AHCI mode is properly set in BIOS
Required kexts for booting this system include Fake SMC, NullCPUMgmt, and VoodooTSSync (for Xeon processor)

Perhaps a clover fix I'm unaware of will make my other drives (1 HFS+ SSD (Kingston) & 2 HFS+ HDDs) show up again?
Or do I need some sort of custom AppleAHCI.kext inject?
How did you manage to install hs with drives not showing up?

My newest SSD (Samsung 850 EVO) actually shows up. My other SSD (Kingston SV300S37A) does not.

Seems quite a number of others running older 4X 5X and 6X Gigabyte motherboards are having the same problems.

The SATA controller chip on this motherboard is the Intel ICH10

Seems perhaps this controller chip is not fully supported? Perhaps the controller in older SSD's like my Kingston no longer is either.

Anyone have any insight?

My SATA controller chip is the ICH9,seems like my controller is not supported either. I heard that apple is going to add support for fusion drives, maybe after this our problems will be solved, what do you think?

I think the fix to this problem is to place the Apple AHCIPort.kext v328 in L/E using a kext installer. The idea is it won't be over written with any future updates. There is no need to delete the new one from S/L/E. The problem is the new one doesn't recognise older ssd disks. Ive attached the kext to this post, let me know if the fix worked. Good luck.

Attachments

• AppleAHCIPort.kext.zip
    56 KB · Views: 8,216
Worked! Let it be known, High Sierra's AHCIport.kext is completely bunk for older motherboards & SSD's. Why Apple had to go and change that makes absolutely no sense other than to purposely reduce compatibility.

I think the fix to this problem is to place the Apple AHCIPort.kext v328 in L/E using a kext installer. The idea is it won't be over written with any future updates. There is no need to delete the new one from S/L/E. The problem is the new one doesn't recognise older ssd disks. Ive attached the kext to this post, let me know if the fix worked. Good luck.
Worked perfectly... Thank's a lot... I have 2 HDD and 2 SSD...

Having the same issue installing High Sierra on my Toshiba Laptop, hope this will help me fix the issue.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back