Contribute
Register

[solved] Drag and drop problem and disappearing cursor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drag and drop problem and disappearing cursor

OK, I've now gone through the new (to me) Clover installation method, and I noted a number of differences from the text. Everything went according to plan as far as stuff to do on the Mac was concerned, after which I moved to the HP 4540s with my USB chip.

I started off by checking the Bios settings for a 7 series laptop, all of which were in order. When I saved and exited, I came directly to the flowery screen with Boot OS X Install from Install OS X Mavericks. I was expecting, after exiting, that the machine would reboot, and I would then press F9. However, I had come to the screen mentioned in the notes, without that procedure, and without selecting Boot from EFI.

No nagging screen came up, the Install screen came up, and on pressing continue, I was taken straight to the screen containing the Disk Utility option. I formatted my target disk, an external USB disk and the installer appeared to extract necessary files to the Installation USB chip. I had to leave the machine during this phase, and when I came back I found that the system had continued with Phase 2, rebooting, installing OS X on my target external USB hard disk, again without my pressing F9 and going via the EFI file. Phase 2 appeared to complete successfully.

I think perhaps you have your system set to boot USB as priority over SATA HDD. Or nothing is on the HDD.

When I now pressed F9 and tried to start from Boot from EFI file, I got nowhere. When I chose my target disk, I came to an apparently working copy of OS X. I installed the drivers for my D-Link USB NIC, since previous trials indicated that the Atheros wifi NIC was not supported,

Atheros WiFi... AR9285 and AR9280 (and others)... are supported. Not AR9485 though.

and installed the HP Probook Installer with all the options mentioned, restarted, pressed F9 and selected my external USB hard disk, and came into my new OS X system.

I have not tested it fully yet, but did discover that I have issues with drag and drop, and decided to stick to Option+C and Option+V for cut and paste. I'll be testing it a bit more tomorrow.

What "issues with drag and drop", specifically?

I just would like to know whether there have been some updates to the Clover system, which have not yet been recorded in the guide, as to how to start the various phases of the operation. So far as I know I have not been presented with a Clover screen at which I should press F4, and, as I say, the program took me right through the installation process without any need for F9 until I came to start my OS X installation at the end.

The Clover screen is the one that BIOS boots to which allows you to select your OS X installation partition. If you press F4 there, it will write native ACPI files to EFI/Clover/ACPI/origin. The PBI-CE reads these files to create patched versions.

Drag and drop problem and disappearing cursor

Thanks, RehabMan, for your continued interest and patience.

I think perhaps you have your system set to boot USB as priority over SATA HDD. Or nothing is on the HDD.
Hm, difficult to tell from the lists in the BIOS, but the results of startup indicate that you are right. For my second shot, I have installed the target disk in the laptop, instead of hanging it off a USB port.

Atheros WiFi... AR9285 and AR9280 (and others)... are supported. Not AR9485 though.
...and apparently not the AR9565 either. :( I'm using a D-Link WMA131 USB NIC which is a rebadged Realtek. Unfortunately it doesn't kick in before I log in. Will look at replacing the AR9565 at some point with a supported Atheros.

What "issues with drag and drop", specifically?
Pretty much the same as in the OP. The best I can do at the moment is Option-C and Option-V which works for text. I guess I'll have to use the edit menu Copy and Paste for files, if there is an edit menu. (But see later)

The Clover screen is the one that BIOS boots to which allows you to select your OS X installation partition. If you press F4 there, it will write native ACPI files to EFI/Clover/ACPI/origin. The PBI-CE reads these files to create patched versions.
Ah, the one with the two cartoon faces.

I'm making a new trial now, and assume that I don't have to re-do the section on the Mac. I have my original USB chip with two partitions. The machine is at the moment loading the extra stuff onto that chip (Phase 1 in other words).

I've erased the target disk, and will install again when Phase 1 is over. (Later) Phase 1 and Phase 2 completed. Didn't get any impression that anything happened when I pressed F4, but it could just have happened too quickly. (Later still) Have now gone through the whole process and appear to have a functioning Hackintosh. Had no sound at first, but the kext rebuild procedure in the guide fixed that. First indications suggest that the drag 'n' drop problem is over. Now for the heavy testing, and slowly but surely installing my programs and making access to data.

Looks good now, RehabMan. Thanks for your help and support. Now I have two Macs! Nothing like redundancy.

Solved: Drag and drop problem and disappearing cursor

Just a last message to mark this thread as solved. If I hadn't started again with Clover, I'd eventually have discovered that my problems would have been solved by an EC reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back