CPU
i3-3110M/C216
Graphics
HD 4000. 1366x768
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Running Mavericks on a HP Probook 4540s. Great job, simple instructions, thank you. However I have a couple of irritating problems.

When copying files from a usb disk to the internal disk, sometimes the file I am moving 'sticks' to the cursor and follows it everywhere and cannot easily be dropped. When it is dropped, somewhere on the screen, if I click the left button again, it moves to where the cursor is, and is fast again, following the cursor even when I have released the left button.

The other problem is that, quite often, a variable time after booting the computer, the cursor disappears or, if I am typing something, the I-bar freezes and at the same time the whole computer freezes. The only recourse is stopping the computer with the on-off switch.Any suggestions of things to try would be appreciated.

Drag and drop problem and disappearing cursor

Moved to Laptop Support.

Running Mavericks on a HP Probook 4540s. Great job, simple instructions, thank you. However I have a couple of irritating problems.

When copying files from a usb disk to the internal disk, sometimes the file I am moving 'sticks' to the cursor and follows it everywhere and cannot easily be dropped.

When it is dropped, somewhere on the screen, if I click the left button again, it moves to where the cursor is, and is fast again, following the cursor even when I have released the left button.

If you're using double-tap-hold to drag, this is normal. There is a one second automatic 'drag lock' just like a real Mac.

You can tap to release or wait the 1 second.

The other problem is that, quite often, a variable time after booting the computer, the cursor disappears or, if I am typing something, the I-bar freezes and at the same time the whole computer freezes. The only recourse is stopping the computer with the on-off switch.Any suggestions of things to try would be appreciated.

Did you follow the guide?

http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-mavericks/112383-guide-install-mavericks-clover-bootloader.html

From where did you download Mavericks?

Thanks for your answer, Rehabman.

If you're using double-tap-hold to drag, this is normal. There is a one second automatic 'drag lock' just like a real Mac.

You can tap to release or wait the 1 second.
I don't have a Mac keyboard, so I've no experience of this behaviour. However, I did wait more than one second on some of the occasions, I'm sure, but I will test again.

Not that guide, I didn't. I followed this one:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-desktop-guides/112389-unibeast-install-os-x-mavericks-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html.

I'll give the one you quoted a try.
From where did you download Mavericks?
From the Mac App Store

Thanks for your answer, Rehabman.

I don't have a Mac keyboard, so I've no experience of this behaviour. However, I did wait more than one second on some of the occasions, I'm sure, but I will test again.

The trackpad behavior has nothing to do with the keyboard.

Sorry, I meant 'keyboard and mouse'. I'm using a PC keyboard and mouse for my Mac Mini. I was using the mouse.

Sorry, I meant 'keyboard and mouse'. I'm using a PC keyboard and mouse for my Mac Mini. I was using the mouse.

What does your Macmini have to do with the ProBook?

Nothing. Just that even on the Mac I have no experience of the Mac style dragging and dropping.

Nothing. Just that even on the Mac I have no experience of the Mac style dragging and dropping.

I don't see much difference between dragging/dropping with the mouse on Mac vs. Windows.

The behavior of the trackpad is a different story.

OK, I've now gone through the new (to me) Clover installation method, and I noted a number of differences from the text. Everything went according to plan as far as stuff to do on the Mac was concerned, after which I moved to the HP 4540s with my USB chip.

I started off by checking the Bios settings for a 7 series laptop, all of which were in order. When I saved and exited, I came directly to the flowery screen with Boot OS X Install from Install OS X Mavericks. I was expecting, after exiting, that the machine would reboot, and I would then press F9. However, I had come to the screen mentioned in the notes, without that procedure, and without selecting Boot from EFI.

No nagging screen came up, the Install screen came up, and on pressing continue, I was taken straight to the screen containing the Disk Utility option. I formatted my target disk, an external USB disk and the installer appeared to extract necessary files to the Installation USB chip. I had to leave the machine during this phase, and when I came back I found that the system had continued with Phase 2, rebooting, installing OS X on my target external USB hard disk, again without my pressing F9 and going via the EFI file. Phase 2 appeared to complete successfully.

When I now pressed F9 and tried to start from Boot from EFI file, I got nowhere. When I chose my target disk, I came to an apparently working copy of OS X. I installed the drivers for my D-Link USB NIC, since previous trials indicated that the Atheros wifi NIC was not supported, and installed the HP Probook Installer with all the options mentioned, restarted, pressed F9 and selected my external USB hard disk, and came into my new OS X system.

I have not tested it fully yet, but did discover that I have issues with drag and drop, and decided to stick to Option+C and Option+V for cut and paste. I'll be testing it a bit more tomorrow.

I just would like to know whether there have been some updates to the Clover system, which have not yet been recorded in the guide, as to how to start the various phases of the operation. So far as I know I have not been presented with a Clover screen at which I should press F4, and, as I say, the program took me right through the installation process without any need for F9 until I came to start my OS X installation at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back