Contribute
Register

[Solved] Distorted/Snowy Screen Only at Login!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z97X Gigabyte UD5H rev 1.1
CPU
i7 4790k
Graphics
Gigabyte Gaming G1 GTX 970
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey everyone,

I've completed this install on El Capitan 10.11.2 at least 5 times already without much trouble. The first 4 times, the installs were practically flawless, but minor tweaks that I made forced me to rebuild it one more time. I used the Legacy Boot Option on the first 4 builds, but I managed to get UEFI working by following the Clover Post-Install Option on the default 10.11 Guide here without using the HFSPlus.efi. This is the only thing that I did different between the first 4 and this final build, which led me to believe that this was the cause of a Fuzzy, Static-y, or Snowy (whatever you want to call it) screen isolated to only the login screen. The reason I don't think it's the cause, is because my USB Bootdisk uses Legacy EFI and (after rebuilding it as well) it all of a sudden does the same thing.

I can still login just fine and I'm probably being nit-picky, but it is just so dang ugly after all of the customizations I made to get this machine running stable. I'm at work, so I can't provide the config right now, but I can at lunch.

Imagine the image below with a login field slapped in the middle.
9QjJ8.jpg

Has anyone else experienced and/or fixed anything like this, or at least know the cause? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
Ryan

The login screen background is a static image that gets generated once and then saved in /Library/Caches/com.apple.desktop.admin.png

I bet if you go look at that file on your machine, it'll be the same "snowy" image. I don't know why it would be screwed up in the first place, but to regenerate the image, all you need to do is change your desktop background (a.k.a. wallpaper). Then check that file and make sure it's fixed. You can also manually stick your own image file in that location if you'd prefer some other login background.

Thank you so much, this was driving me insane!!

The login screen background is a static image that gets generated once and then saved in /Library/Caches/com.apple.desktop.admin.png

I bet if you go look at that file on your machine, it'll be the same "snowy" image. I don't know why it would be screwed up in the first place, but to regenerate the image, all you need to do is change your desktop background (a.k.a. wallpaper). Then check that file and make sure it's fixed. You can also manually stick your own image file in that location if you'd prefer some other login background.

Changing the desktop wallpaper fixed the problem on a clean install of Sierra. Thank you!

thanks a lot!!!! so happy these threads are still living!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back