Contribute
Register

Solved> Disable system file protection in Big Sur!

Status
Not open for further replies.
a bit other question, why I see so many disk if I use for example app like "Find any File" and could I remove some of this:

Find Items:
on Big Sur (Hardware) slow
on Big Sur (Update)
on Big Sur (BaseSytem) slow
on Big Sur (Recovery) slow
on Big Sur (Preboot) slow
on Big Sur (VM)
on Big Sur (FieldService) slow
on Big Sur (Data)
on Big Sur (iSCPreboot) slow
on Big Sur (MacOS system) slow

also I can't see on my OpenCore Boot menu "Big Sur" only name Preboot and
the OpenCore start from "Preboot", but not direct from Big Sur drive, where can I fix it?
It is a bug in Big Sur. The latest versions of the beta have that. Apple should correct it. Some have reset nvram a few times and after several reboots it went back to Big Sur or the real disk name.

I’m so confused. I tried user MAC_OS’s method of naming the volume differently, but I can’t get it to work
image.jpg

I’m so confused. I tried user MAC_OS’s method of naming the volume differently, but I can’t get it to workView attachment 485281
You can install Intel Gadget and it will reset the snapshot to make the drive correctly. Also there is a Tealtwk WiFi driver installer that dose the same.

I don't know if this is relevant to every system but a word of caution, deletion of the volume snapshot can prove to be problematic when the next update/upgrade is made available to BS. Some systems were unable to install the new available updates over the previous one because the snapshot was removed. Consequently this called for a complete fresh install, if this is the case, to my limited knowledge removing the snapshot is a process one would have to perform again with a fresh install and a waste of time. If a process was found to make the deletion permanent to all updates then it would make sense to the ones that wants it removed.

I have been using BS from the beginning with the first Beta and now to the very latest both Developer and Public and all were installed both USB and updates over previous for testing purposes. All were applied as intended by Apple to enhance the security of the OS and have found no kind of hardship on the system apart from the documented bugs. Please don't misunderstand me, I am certainly not against others experimenting with the application of applying OS X to non Apple components, I am just relaying my personal experience and thoughts, but if removing a particular feature from BS works for you then by all means go for it.

I don't know if this is relevant to every system but a word of caution, deletion of the volume snapshot can prove to be problematic when the next update/upgrade is made available to BS. Some systems were unable to install the new available updates over the previous one because the snapshot was removed. Consequently this called for a complete fresh install, if this is the case, to my limited knowledge removing the snapshot is a process one would have to perform again with a fresh install and a waste of time. If a process was found to make the deletion permanent to all updates then it would make sense to the ones that wants it removed.

I have been using BS from the beginning with the first Beta and now to the very latest both Developer and Public and all were installed both USB and updates over previous for testing purposes. All were applied as intended by Apple to enhance the security of the OS and have found no kind of hardship on the system apart from the documented bugs. Please don't misunderstand me, I am certainly not against others experimenting with the application of applying OS X to non Apple components, I am just relaying my personal experience and thoughts, but if removing a particular feature from BS works for you then by all means go for it.
I have heard the same thing and I don't recommend doing this either, also if you disable SIP via config.plist, that can also stop updates from working

I have heard the same thing and I don't recommend doing this either, also if you disable SIP via config.plist, that can also stop updates from working
Yes absolutely right. I too was stumped with trying to apply an update until I reached out with the query and was advised to check if SIP was disabled and to enable it for the update to complete. As I said in a previous post BS is vastly different, the security aspect is unlike previous OS X versions and is more robust so we must be more prudent in tinkering too much with the OS specially the protected (snapshot) volume.

Yes absolutely right. I too was stumped with trying to apply an update until I reached out with the query and was advised to check if SIP was disabled and to enable it for the update to complete. As I said in a previous post BS is vastly different, the security aspect is unlike previous OS X versions and is more robust so we must be more prudent in tinkering too much with the OS specially the protected (snapshot) volume.
I ran into the same problem, and creating a new snapshot didn’t seem to fix the update bug. I had changed the WiFi kexts for Atheros. Also disabling csrutil may give you trouble.

For my experience SIP never been the problem. My SIP and Authenticated-Root always disabled since Public Beta 1 but I never got a problem with the update. But deleting the snapshot completely messed up my update system and caused me to re-install the system each time.

For my experience SIP never been the problem. My SIP and Authenticated-Root always disabled since Public Beta 1 but I never got a problem with the update. But deleting the snapshot completely messed up my update system and caused me to re-install the system each time.
Yes a lot has found that deleting the snapshot is ok for the current install, but updates tends to look for the previous snapshot on the system and fails if none is found therefore forcing a complete install. I did toss the idea to the OC Devs if the removal method could be somehow be included to the OC installation without affecting future updates but it kind of fell on deaf ears as they have their hands full with the ongoing development of OC without adding I suppose more complex coding to the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back