Contribute
Register

[SOLVED]Dell Vostro 5470 Sierra 10.12.5 - Post Installation Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. This you manage to finish the hackintosh on this laptop? Any news on the guide you promissed for us the nobbies?:rolleyes: Keep on the great work!!
I got a little busier than usual and I still need to take some time off to write that guide. It's working really great. But then I decided to move to High Sierra and, despite being successful, it doesn't work as great as Sierra and there are some weired things (my custom shutdown patch doesn't work, sleep doesn't work, it's slower than Sierra...). That's why I'll have to go back to Sierra (didn't manage to fix 10.13 issues).

Next week, if I have enough time, I'll take some pics of the installation proccess and write that guide.

In the mean time, you might want to take a look at my repo: https://github.com/coisadepro/Vostro-5470-Hackintosh/blob/master/README.md

It's not a guide yet, but has lots of tips and common pitfalls (I even include all the required files, including the SSDTs hotpaches, which are the hardest part to learn to do right).

In Sierra you can expect battery, power management, sleep, hd graphics, brightness, sound, shutdown, touchpad... everything but the internal Wifi (which needs to be replaced, or using usb wifi dongle (can cause sleep issues, DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK)).

Also, I got an idea that might fix completely the shutdown issues with this laptop and will try it to see if it works. It seems that some laptops might have problems due to UEFI malfunction (sorry for the poor explanation) and thus get CMOS state corruption (which requires you to disassemble, remove the cmos battery, the notebook battery, wait 20 seconds, put everything together again and restart). My ideia is try using Clover Legacy instead of Clover UEFI (via CSM / BIOS), and see if the issue still happens.
EDIT: I finally got Clover Legacy to install Sierra with UEFI disabled, but it didn't fix the issues and also made them worse. Boot is slower and iMessage won't work. Do not waste your time trying to install Clover Legacy on this machine. Instead, go with Clover UEFI (normal version)

But if you have any questions, feel free to drop them here and I'll do my best to help you

Last edited:
Hi, I have the same notebook:
Vostro 5470 i5 4gb 500gb - intel 4400 and nvidia.

You can help me with the installation of the mac saw. My config.plist file is not legal. Can you take a look?

any news about the high sierra in this notebook? I followed your repository and managed to perform hackintosh with sierra but I need to update to install xcode.

You can get High Sierra running easily. Just update and it will work. But be aware that Sierra's performance is better.

Also, you MUST use the SSDTs available on my GitHub repo, otherwise you won't get to the Installer screen. Be sure to have a backup just in case anything goes wrong.

I recommend doing a clean install of High Sierra. Backup your data and things you want to keep to an external drive. Then wipe the computer and proceed with the installation. After everything is working, copy the data back.

Do not use that option that restores from another Mac as it may be buggy.

Good luck

right, however I have another problem, the shutdown patch does not work for me, anyway CMOS is corrupted, any ideas? I'm in Sierra.

"you'll have to disassemble and remove both the battery and the CMOS battery)"

Make sure to wait at least 20 seconds before reconnecting them

I got a little busier than usual and I still need to take some time off to write that guide. It's working really great. But then I decided to move to High Sierra and, despite being successful, it doesn't work as great as Sierra and there are some weired things (my custom shutdown patch doesn't work, sleep doesn't work, it's slower than Sierra...). That's why I'll have to go back to Sierra (didn't manage to fix 10.13 issues).

Next week, if I have enough time, I'll take some pics of the installation proccess and write that guide.

In the mean time, you might want to take a look at my repo: https://github.com/coisadepro/Vostro-5470-Hackintosh/blob/master/README.md

It's not a guide yet, but has lots of tips and common pitfalls (I even include all the required files, including the SSDTs hotpaches, which are the hardest part to learn to do right).

In Sierra you can expect battery, power management, sleep, hd graphics, brightness, sound, shutdown, touchpad... everything but the internal Wifi (which needs to be replaced, or using usb wifi dongle (can cause sleep issues, DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK)).

Also, I got an idea that might fix completely the shutdown issues with this laptop and will try it to see if it works. It seems that some laptops might have problems due to UEFI malfunction (sorry for the poor explanation) and thus get CMOS state corruption (which requires you to disassemble, remove the cmos battery, the notebook battery, wait 20 seconds, put everything together again and restart). My ideia is try using Clover Legacy instead of Clover UEFI (via CSM / BIOS), and see if the issue still happens.
EDIT: I finally got Clover Legacy to install Sierra with UEFI disabled, but it didn't fix the issues and also made them worse. Boot is slower and iMessage won't work. Do not waste your time trying to install Clover Legacy on this machine. Instead, go with Clover UEFI (normal version)

But if you have any questions, feel free to drop them here and I'll do my best to help you

Any updates? Also do you know if Dell Vostro 5471 will behave same as your 5470? I'm really afraid to pull the trigger. Also why aren't you on Mojave yet? Isn't it stable enough?

Any updates? Also do you know if Dell Vostro 5471 will behave same as your 5470? I'm really afraid to pull the trigger. Also why aren't you on Mojave yet? Isn't it stable enough?

I just gave up on hackintoshing this computer. The thing is: I got to the point where it was 100% working, except for weired shutting down issues. This machine has a broken BIOS implementation (by DELL or whoever wrote it) that just won't let the OS shutdown properly. I've tried almost everything including ACPI hacking and stuff, but could not find a stable solution.

The reason I didn't go the Mojave way is that I gave up before it being released.

Your Vostro is different from mine and that means that your BIOS implementation might be completely different, in which case this tutorial won't work for you. Still, it might be worth giving it a try (you might loose your data, so do make a backup before trying anything).

------- opinion, not related to question --------
In my opinion, hackintoshing works beautifully on Desktop PCs, but not on notebooks. I would rather buy a cheap used Macbook if I were in need of using a Mac anywhere.

what about your shutdown patch? not working?

I just gave up on hackintoshing this computer. The thing is: I got to the point where it was 100% working, except for weired shutting down issues. This machine has a broken BIOS implementation (by DELL or whoever wrote it) that just won't let the OS shutdown properly. I've tried almost everything including ACPI hacking and stuff, but could not find a stable solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back