Contribute
Register

[Solved] Dell T5810(E5-1630v4, C610/X99) could NOT boot into installer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still not working for me …..
I know previously - I didn't use 14,2 smbios but works for you so should be enough to reach the installer at least.
had a look thru your drivers and kexts - you have two memory fixes in there ,typically you shouldn't use both together but again if it works it works
conclusions so far.....
Mac OS Version matters
Ram brand might matter ? need to work with what I have , others will likely be of the same mind
Dell Bios A32 - matching and bios settings compare - mem I/O above 4gb - worth testing with and without
other x99 builds use with and without - one or other may work
Clover version - this does matter - I need to try another
Cpu v3 or v4 & no of cores - use appropriate kext to suit ( cpus=1 boot flag might help some if kext not installed )
Graphics - this matters , my wx7100 may be the problem for me .need to test further
Kexts to Patch - IOPCI patch required
Kernel to patch - i did use specific patches on my previous build so these should matter both pre and post install
config plist - what works for you doesn't for me so need to test further
clover drivers - bare minimum to allow install on any build ?
clover kexts - bare minimum to allow install on any build ?

I see WMS is trying too so more testers the better .
Keep in mind everything in there is from Post #2. If there are two memory fixes, then someone else put them there. I just used them!

• BIOS settings -- I have the mem I/O above 4GB DISABLED.
  • Clover is 4961. I should go to V5000, but I know the file locations and naming changes so I haven't.
  • We both have V3 CPU's.
  • Video might matter. Curious -- how far do you get before it stalls? Does it switch to the graphics screen with the mouse cursor? Do you need to patch AMD kexts with your cards' ID or is it natively supported?
  • I see in my Config.plist that IOCPI patch, but it is set to match OS version 10.12, so it's not even loading in my 10.14 or 10.15.

It makes no sense why you can't boot. I think TRY the base 10.15.

I would hope you get this working, as you seem to know more than me and there are a few items that are a bit rough around the edges, namely power management. I think the CPU is always at max (not turbo, but max which for me is 3.50Ghz) according to Intel Turbo Gadget. Sleep does work, and wake from sleep works (surprisingly).

What part of the world are you in?

Last edited:
Also, I changed the SMBIOS to MacPro6,1. Seems more like what I have. Still works. To you concur that 6,1 is best?

I'm sure you've search various threads there, but did you see this one:

Last edited:
Also, I changed the SMBIOS to MacPro6,1. Seems more like what I have. Still works. To you concur that 6,1 is best?

I'm sure you've search various threads there, but did you see this one:

That's what I would use - I installed using that previously from scratch on 10.14.0 with clover 4700 although with
different graphics.

You should have a better shot at correct power management and underlying items with that.
Just my opinion so others here may feel differently.5,1 worked also i think but not as well.
Pretty sure I can iron out any kinks if and when I can get something installed -i'll update again when I
have made some progress.

Ye ,think i've read all of them at this stage -
best i can do is bootload screen hangs at ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
after a coupe of lines of code
think i need to work on kexts to patch and kernel to patch .
Still have a Quadro m4000 so might try with that .if it allowed installing could swap it out .

A lot explained here....

Well, not so great results with 10.15.1 update. The actual update mostly completed. I started having issues with the system just not doing anything. Mouse would move, but the rest of the system was frozen. No disk activity. Power cycle would boot OK again, and would get a little further, then freeze.

I finally got to 10.15.1 after quite a few restarts, but the system was as unstable as Charles Manson. Two main issues -- first is boot from Clover would frequently give the "prohibit" circle/slash as soon as the OS starts to load. After a reboot or two, it boots fine, then will reboot fine until some random time it decides to give the "prohibit" symbol again. It seems purely random as nothing has changed between when it boots and when it refuses.

Second issue is a graphical one. Hard to describe, but let's just say that when starting up or logging in, when the screen switches it doesn't totally erase the previous screen, so on my desktop there might still be a slight image of the login screen. At this point, I can't click or run anything, although the system isn't frozen as I see things like the WIFI symbol moving, etc. I can put my cursor over the dock icons and the little name shows, but I can't choose any of them.

I tried updaing Lilu, using only one of the memory fix drivers (delete one, reboot. Still has issues, so delete the other one and put the first one back and reboot). No big difference between using either of them.

So, back to 10.15.0. It still has that boot "prohibit" issue, but the system is generally pretty stable when it does boot.

Well, not so great results with 10.15.1 update. The actual update mostly completed. I started having issues with the system just not doing anything. Mouse would move, but the rest of the system was frozen. No disk activity. Power cycle would boot OK again, and would get a little further, then freeze.

I finally got to 10.15.1 after quite a few restarts, but the system was as unstable as Charles Manson. Two main issues -- first is boot from Clover would frequently give the "prohibit" circle/slash as soon as the OS starts to load. After a reboot or two, it boots fine, then will reboot fine until some random time it decides to give the "prohibit" symbol again. It seems purely random as nothing has changed between when it boots and when it refuses.

Second issue is a graphical one. Hard to describe, but let's just say that when starting up or logging in, when the screen switches it doesn't totally erase the previous screen, so on my desktop there might still be a slight image of the login screen. At this point, I can't click or run anything, although the system isn't frozen as I see things like the WIFI symbol moving, etc. I can put my cursor over the dock icons and the little name shows, but I can't choose any of them.

I tried updaing Lilu, using only one of the memory fix drivers (delete one, reboot. Still has issues, so delete the other one and put the first one back and reboot). No big difference between using either of them.

So, back to 10.15.0. It still has that boot "prohibit" issue, but the system is generally pretty stable when it does boot.

If still omitting WhateverGreen , add it in 1.3.4
look at your usb - could be part of the problem …..
try this added to kexts to patch - you should have usbinjectall.kext already

Name: com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHostFamily
Find: 83FB0F0F
Replace*: 83FB3F0F

Name com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI
Find: 83F90F0F
Replace: 83F93F0F

some of this may help // bit of trial and error needed

If still omitting WhateverGreen , add it in 1.3.4
look at your usb - could be part of the problem …..
try this added to kexts to patch - you should have usbinjectall.kext already

Name: com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHostFamily
Find: 83FB0F0F
Replace*: 83FB3F0F

Name com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI
Find: 83F90F0F
Replace: 83F93F0F

some of this may help // bit of trial and error needed
When I updated Lilu, I added in the latest WEG also and put in L/E.

I did have usbinjectall kext already in Clover OTHER folder, but I went through the Hackintool procedure and identified all my ports, then exported out the USBPorts.kext and am using that now instead of USBInjectAll. Should I use the patches and then reidentify the ports?

When I updated Lilu, I added in the latest WEG also and put in L/E.

I did have usbinjectall kext already in Clover OTHER folder, but I went through the Hackintool procedure and identified all my ports, then exported out the USBPorts.kext and am using that now instead of USBInjectAll. Should I use the patches and then reidentify the ports?

not too familiar with hackintool , I used rehabman's method for custom ssdt previously .
hackintool approach looks a simplified version - nothing wrong with that if it suits.
would think kernel patches required for correct power management and usually requires usb to be right also.
cant really help with graphics glitches on gaming cards only ever used quadro or firepro which can have etheir own issues.
if you can get your hands on a k4000 even just to test it worked fine in mojave.
one thing, how are you connected to monitor dp or hdmi ?
read some instances suggesting to avoid dp in favour of hdmi while installing . i'm using dp so might look at that.

I've given up on Catalina for now. Too unpredictable and freezing a lot. When I do the same thing every time, I expect the same result, and with Catalina, it's just too random.

I did find by doing a -v in Clover that when I was getting the Prohibit symbol immediately at boot, it was actually showing a "couldn't allocate runtime area" message! That was what you were getting, yes?

So, back to Mojave I go. I had a backup image so I restored that and am 100% running great. No boot issues, and no stalling/freezing at random times whenever it wants.

I did find by doing a -v in Clover that when I was getting the Prohibit symbol immediately at boot, it was actually showing a "couldn't allocate runtime area" message! That was what you were getting, yes?
yes , that seems to be the most common issue with 5810 and going back in versions also.
i'll have a another try this weekend .... getting stuck at ' +++++++++++++++++++ ' and then reboots / which is an improvement on couldn't allocate …… if only slightly .once I have a route to reach installer i'll try to replicate it and have a repeatable starting point.
hard to say if my wx7100 is part of the problem or the fact i'm using display port .
at least a few things to try.

yes , that seems to be the most common issue with 5810 and going back in versions also.
i'll have a another try this weekend .... getting stuck at ' +++++++++++++++++++ ' and then reboots / which is an improvement on couldn't allocate …… if only slightly .once I have a route to reach installer i'll try to replicate it and have a repeatable starting point.
hard to say if my wx7100 is part of the problem or the fact i'm using display port .
at least a few things to try.
I must say my Mojave install seems pretty solid. I also use DisplayPort (on my RX580).

Are you still trying Catalina or are you working on Mojave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back