Contribute
Register

[Solved] Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF, can't reach installer

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry, @pastrychef i meant to ask: is there any problem (long term or otherwise) as to why I shouldn't try and create a Legacy Boot version to test? I'm sorry I'm not familiar with the nuances of why this wouldn't be good......

I have no idea... I've never tried legacy boot and don't know anything about it at all.

hey guys!!!! sorry for have been absent for a long time... just let me read about the last threads and than I'll replay... hoping I can help

So, my bios revison is 1.15.5 , that, checked on Dell website, it's the last one... I've installed Catalina with this version.

But one thing that i don't remember ( did'nt read back all posts), is if I've already told you abaout DVMT modification in BIOS...for do this I needed to Disable CFG-Lock...I had to do this on my Dell XPS too...

If I've get it's meaning, it will let Mac os to write variables in bios that the os needs for CPU power management and other stuffs... by unlockinbg this, I can set the total ammount of preallocated memory for get osX boot on a larger res display.... maybe I'am confusin my self and everyone else lol...

But @TomJones, how did you set the bios?

Just a little upgrade: ?ve bought a Wi-Fi PCI-e card that enable continuity and Handoff... afther some weeks, I've installed a R9 Nano .... BOOM!!!! Proud to say that it was awesome!!! But to much HOT!!! lol

Don't give up TommyLeeJones :cool:, I'll try to suport as much as I can

Try this with only HD 530. I don't know how to make r7 240 work so make sure it is pulled out of the system.
Hi pastrychef,
I used the EFI you provided for Optiplex 7040 SFF i5-6500 (Intel HD 530) but it is causing KP. I worked on a different EFI version and i got mojave installed but the graphics is shown the common 7mb with artifacts. I will attach my EFI and help is appreciated.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 86
Hi pastrychef,
I used the EFI you provided for Optiplex 7040 SFF i5-6500 (Intel HD 530) but it is causing KP. I worked on a different EFI version and i got mojave installed but the graphics is shown the common 7mb with artifacts. I will attach my EFI and help is appreciated.

What is the kernel panic that you get?

What is the kernel panic that you get?
Hi,
Excuse my limited knowledge. The code goes fast at the very end before the system just reboots. I tried to catch it with my cell phone cam.

Attachments

• 33.png
    33.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 120
  • EFI.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 88
Hi,
Excuse my limited knowledge. The code goes fast at the very end before the system just reboots. I tried to catch it with my cell phone cam.

Please post the video somewhere. The kernel panic already scrolled off the screen.

Please post the video somewhere. The kernel panic already scrolled off the screen.
Here is the version that i started to mess with before the Panic and this one boots and works fines the only issue was the Graphics card (Intel HD 530) which is showing 7mb with glitches & artifacts.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 98
Here is the version that i started to mess with before the Panic and this one boots and works fines the only issue was the Graphics card (Intel HD 530) which is showing 7mb with glitches & artifacts.

Please post the video with the kernel panic so I can see it.

The EFI you keep posting is not good. You are spoofing a laptop IGPU from a different generation of CPU. It's a waste of time trying to fix that.

Please post the video with the kernel panic so I can see it.

The EFI you keep posting is not good. You are spoofing a laptop IGPU from a different generation of CPU. It's a waste of time trying to fix that.
I found the original EFI online it supposed to be the same desktop, before i updated the Lilu and whatevergreen and deleted
FakePCIID.kext
FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext
As another member recommended so i thought to go back one step when it was at least booting. So i guess i have to find another EFI or start from scratch? There is some posts about this same desktop model, should i find a different one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back