Contribute
Register

[Solved] Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF, can't reach installer

Status
Not open for further replies.
pastrychef,

I'm not seeing any love from your EFI. I'm trying the EFI_v4 and trying to install Catalina. Using your file directly, I get the "Prohibited" sign. When I put the USBInjectAll kext in, I get all the way to the graphics part, then I reboot/loop there.

No love here. Any Ideas?

pastrychef,

I'm not seeing any love from your EFI. I'm trying the EFI_v4 and trying to install Catalina. Using your file directly, I get the "Prohibited" sign. When I put the USBInjectAll kext in, I get all the way to the graphics part, then I reboot/loop there.

No love here. Any Ideas?

Please boot in verbose mode (clicking do not reboot on panic will help too) and post a picture of where it gets stuck.

Please boot in to verbose mode and post a picture of where it stops.
my experience is identical to this post I made a while ago. There is a video

my experience is identical to this post I made a while ago. There is a video

This is a graphics issue. Make sure that you have set DVMT Prealloc to at least 64MB.

Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 8.54.21 AM.png
(Btw, nicely filmed!! What method did you use??)

On OEM Dell systems, this BIOS setting is often hidden. There are different ways to circumvent this; (1) change the hidden BIOS setting through EFI Shell (best option, more reliable) or (2) use patches in config.plist (less desirable, less reliable option).

Heporis detailed how he did it via EFI Shell in his build thread.

Please see this guide if you want to fix it via config.plist.

thanks, pastrychef, I'll give this a try.
BTW-- I have an HDMI capture card and I plugged the Optiplex SFF into an HDMI splitter: one HDMI into capture card with capture software, and one into the monitor I was using to install.

Last edited:
thanks, pastrychef, I'll give this a try.
BTW-- I have an HDMI capture card and I plugged the Optiplex SFF into an HDMI splitter: one HDMI into capture card with capture software, and one into the monitor I was using to install.
Any news about?

Hey everyone -- sorry I was hot and heavy about this earlier in the year because I had time, now I'm back into trying to get this to work. I'll be trying this over the next few days.

This is a graphics issue. Make sure that you have set DVMT Prealloc to at least 64MB.

Pastrychef, I finally got around to fixing the DVMT Prealloc. But now, when I boot into the Apple installer, I see the first +++++++++++ going across the screen, then the computer reboots.

I set the DVMT to 64MB, and my DVMT was located at 0x350 (which i set to 0x2). COuld it be the instructions for "Disable CFG Lock to prevent MSR 0x02 errors on boot"?????

Pastrychef, I finally got around to fixing the DVMT Prealloc. But now, when I boot into the Apple installer, I see the first +++++++++++ going across the screen, then the computer reboots.

I set the DVMT to 64MB, and my DVMT was located at 0x350 (which i set to 0x2). COuld it be the instructions for "Disable CFG Lock to prevent MSR 0x02 errors on boot"?????

If possible, it's better to unlock MSR.

Getting stuck at the row of pluses usually indicates an Aptio fix issue. Try a different Aptio fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back