Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey all:

I'm attempting to install the macOS High Sierra Public Beta, and I'm having a bit of trouble getting the installer to start...
Everything boots fine and well, but the only problem I get is that once it boots into the installer, it gives the error that the installer could not start because "the path /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg is missing."

I have tried using the "real" upgrade path (downloading the Public Beta from the App Store, running it using the Public Beta Access Utility, and running the installer on the boot drive), and it leads to that error. I've also made a bootable USB using createinstallmedia, and it also returns the same error.

I've checked the actual path that it's complaining about (/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg, it's hidden), and the only folder present in both installations in the /System directory is /Library. Is this normal?

I've never had this problem before so I'm very curious to see as to what would be causing it.

If you guys have any ideas please feel free to share!

Thank you!

-Duncan

Hey all:

I'm attempting to install the macOS High Sierra Public Beta, and I'm having a bit of trouble getting the installer to start...
Everything boots fine and well, but the only problem I get is that once it boots into the installer, it gives the error that the installer could not start because "the path /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg is missing."

I have tried using the "real" upgrade path (downloading the Public Beta from the App Store, running it using the Public Beta Access Utility, and running the installer on the boot drive), and it leads to that error. I've also made a bootable USB using createinstallmedia, and it also returns the same error.

I've checked the actual path that it's complaining about (/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg, it's hidden), and the only folder present in both installations in the /System directory is /Library. Is this normal?

I've never had this problem before so I'm very curious to see as to what would be causing it.

If you guys have any ideas please feel free to share!

Thank you!

-Duncan

It is an NVRAM problem...
Work around: Make sure the target disk has only a single partition as the target for your install of macOS HS...

It is an NVRAM problem...
Work around: Make sure the target disk has only a single partition as the target for your install of macOS HS...

I have formatted my SSD to have only one APFS partition, and it still shows the "OSInstall.mpkg missing"...

delete nvrm.plist and leave olny efi folder

In regards to NVRAM, I deleted EmuVariableUEFI-64.efi (as I discovered my NVRAM on my laptop works natively), and the nvram.plist file didn't exist (I checked)...still showing the error...Weird.

Thank you so much for the help guys!

-Duncan

I have formatted my SSD to have only one APFS partition, and it still shows the "OSInstall.mpkg missing"...

What do you mean by "only one APFS partition"?
Does that mean you have only a single partition on the disk?

What do you mean by "only one APFS partition"?
Does that mean you have only a single partition on the disk?

IMG_4472.JPG
Here is an image of the current partition layout. (It's upside down but right-side up in the preview, anyway to fix this?)
I'm pretty sure there's only one partition, although I'm not too sure what the Apple Core Kernel Dump is...

-Duncan

View attachment 266868
Here is an image of the current partition layout. (It's upside down but right-side up in the preview, anyway to fix this?)
I'm pretty sure there's only one partition, although I'm not too sure what the Apple Core Kernel Dump is...

-Duncan

That is a single partition (a bit complex due to APFS).
You might want to skip APFS.
But if you need help, read FAQ, "Problem Reporting".

That is a single partition (a bit complex due to APFS).
You might want to skip APFS.
But if you need help, read FAQ, "Problem Reporting".

I attempted to install macOS High Sierra Beta with JHFS+, and the message still pertains ("OSInstall.mpkg missing"). Interesting...

Now I'm not too sure as to why this isn't working...Is there any way to export the installer log? The clue to solving this may be hidden in there ...

I've also attached my EFI folder that I used on my installer (I replaced SN, UUID, and other things in SMBIOS with "X", but other than that it's identical to the installer EFI that I use).

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

-Duncan

Attachments

• EFI-macoshighsierra.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 108
I attempted to install macOS High Sierra Beta with JHFS+, and the message still pertains ("OSInstall.mpkg missing"). Interesting...

Now I'm not too sure as to why this isn't working...Is there any way to export the installer log? The clue to solving this may be hidden in there ...

I've also attached my EFI folder that I used on my installer (I replaced SN, UUID, and other things in SMBIOS with "X", but other than that it's identical to the installer EFI that I use).

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

-Duncan

You might want to check your EFI (root) for any nvram.plist and delete it if it exists.
And re-create your USB install_osx partition.
The FakeSMC.kext you're using is a bit old.
config.plist/SMBIOS/FirmwareFeatures is missing (google and you'll find correct setting).
Note: Newer versions of Clover may automatically supply correct FirmwareFeatures.

You might want to check your EFI (root) for any nvram.plist and delete it if it exists.
And re-create your USB install_osx partition.
The FakeSMC.kext you're using is a bit old.
config.plist/SMBIOS/FirmwareFeatures is missing (google and you'll find correct setting).
Note: Newer versions of Clover may automatically supply correct FirmwareFeatures.

Here's what my EFI root folder looks like with hidden files enabled:
EFI-files.png

To re-create my macOS Install partition, I ran the following commands:

To erase the install partition:
Code:
Duncans-iMac:~ duncan$ diskutil eraseVolume JHFS+ USB disk7s2
Started erase on disk7s2 Install macOS High Sierra Beta
Unmounting disk
Erasing
Initialized /dev/rdisk7s2 as a 15 GB case-insensitive HFS Plus volume with a 8192k journal
Mounting disk
Finished erase on disk7s2 USB

To re-create the install partition:
Code:
Duncans-iMac:~ duncan$ sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath  /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra\ Beta.app --nointeraction
Password:
Erasing Disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%...100%...
Copying installer files to disk...
Copy complete.
Making disk bootable...
Copying boot files...
Copy complete.
Done.

I then went ahead and reinstalled a clean Clover v4114 install into my EFI partition, and then copied all of the relevant data into place...

Error still shows up! :think:

Maybe the installer I'm using isn't working properly? I'm not too sure at this point...

-Duncan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back