RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all,

I've attempted to fix my Dell DW1515 on Mojave (after AirPortAtheros40.kext was removed from IO80211Family.kext). A few solutions I've attempted have not worked, thus far:
  • Added IO80211Family.kext and IONetworkingFamily.kext from High Sierra to Mojave (Installed in /S/L/E)
  • Extracted just AirPortAtheros40.kext from High Sierra (Installed in either /S/L/E or EFI/CLOVER/Extensions/Other)
  • Booting with or without kext-dev-mode=1 with either of the above fixes
  • AtherosInjector.kext in combination with the first two fixes
  • ATH9KFixup.kext/ATH9KInjector.kext
Attached is all of the troubleshooting info normally required. I'm suspicious of kextcache -i output, since it has errors relating to vtables and the Atheros kext I extracted from High Sierra.

I'd appreciate help getting this card to work.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 278
  • IOReg.zip
    706.2 KB · Views: 199
  • Patchmatic Extract.zip
    24.9 KB · Views: 169
  • kextcache output.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Hello all,

I've attempted to fix my Dell DW1515 on Mojave (after AirPortAtheros40.kext was removed from IO80211Family.kext). A few solutions I've attempted have not worked, thus far:
  • Added IO80211Family.kext and IONetworkingFamily.kext from High Sierra to Mojave (Installed in /S/L/E)
  • Extracted just AirPortAtheros40.kext from High Sierra (Installed in either /S/L/E or EFI/CLOVER/Extensions/Other)
  • Booting with or without kext-dev-mode=1 with either of the above fixes
  • AtherosInjector.kext in combination with the first two fixes
  • ATH9KFixup.kext/ATH9KInjector.kext
Attached is all of the troubleshooting info normally required. I'm suspicious of kextcache -i output, since it has errors relating to vtables and the Atheros kext I extracted from High Sierra.

I'd appreciate help getting this card to work.

Try this check the S/L/Extensions option using multicast. Make sure these are the only kexts on your desktop. Maybe you didn't rebuild caches correctly after editing the Atheros kexts and adding to S/L/Extensions?
IO80211Familykext Mojave w:Atheros.zip

Attachments

• IO80211Familykext Mojave w:Atheros.zip
    9.5 MB · Views: 914
Installing this IO80211Family kext worked. I hope that I don't have to reinstall after every macOS update, but suspect I will.

Thank you!

Installing this IO80211Family kext worked. I hope that I don't have to reinstall after every macOS update, but suspect I will.

Thank you!

Yes, just keep it handy. Every update may or may not replace the kext because its in S/L/extensions so it will have to be replaced when they do update that kext.

Follow up question: How did you make the kext, or is this simply 10.13.6's version of IO80211Family?

I opened the HS familykext (right click and select show package contents) it’s in Plugins folder I then dragged the Atheros40kext to desktop. Opened the Mojave io80211famkext the same way and added it to plugins there. This way you have a real Mojave kext. The key is to rebuild caches whenever replacing a kext to S/L/Extensions folder which kextbeast will do. I used kext wizard or you can also use terminal commands. Kextbeast is easy as long as you only have required Kexts on desktop as it will load everything there. It doesn’t work in L/Extensions folder or innclover Kexts other folder. I tested it.

You should grab an extra copy of each and try it yourself it’s good practice. And keep a copy of Atheros40kext in a folder to do after an update. All you really need is the 40kext and an original Mojave kext along with cache rebuilding method.

All you really need is the 40kext and an original Mojave kext

As I have a MacBook Pro and a copy of Atheros40 this should be pretty easy to do. If the kext ever gets replaced I'll just put it right into the new version macOS installed

cache rebuilding method

For the uninitiated, this is `sudo kextcache -i /`in terminal.app, then wait for the whole process to complete which can take up to 5 minutes. My install did not work after using kextbeast, only after rebuilding from the terminal.

I opened the HS familykext (right click and select show package contents) it’s in Plugins folder I then dragged the Atheros40kext to desktop. Opened the Mojave io80211famkext the same way and added it to plugins there. This way you have a real Mojave kext. The key is to rebuild caches whenever replacing a kext to S/L/Extensions folder which kextbeast will do. I used kext wizard or you can also use terminal commands. Kextbeast is easy as long as you only have required Kexts on desktop as it will load everything there. It doesn’t work in L/Extensions folder or innclover Kexts other folder. I tested it.

Much easier and same result if you just install the Atheros40 plugin directly to /L/E.

Much easier and same result if you just install the Atheros40 plugin directly to /L/E.

It wouldn’t take for me, but I use Kexts other folder and have inject Kexts = Yes. With = detect it may work but haven’t tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back