Register

[Solved] Dell 9010 - can't install High Sierra from USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
i5-3470
Graphics
NVIDIA 1030
Please help me before I throw this bloody thing out of the window. I've already spent many, many hours searching other posts and trying to make it work, but I don't seem to be getting anywhere.

I'm new to this so please forgive any stupid questions.

Hardware:
Dell 9010 (small for factor)
Nvidia 1030 (because onboard graphics aren't compatible)
i5-3470

Problem
I've created a USB installer using the latest Unibeast and a copy of High Sierra on my MacBook. Unibeast says I created it successfully and it seems in order.

I've set the BIOS to all the recommended settings: ACHI, safe mode disabled, USB3.0 disabled, VTd disabled and so on. The Clover boot loader fires up and (following advice from other treads) I've added a -x to boot into safe mode (necessary for this hardware apparently).

The system hangs before I even get the High Sierra install. One of two things happens:
- if I have Nvidia web drivers disabled it just restarts
- with Nvidia web drivers still enabled it hangs after about 10 seconds. See first attachment for details using verbose mode.

Please help - what can I do? Clover file from USB stick attached.

One more thing: I'm not sure whether it's related, but before the Clover bootloader starts I get half a page of errors. None of it means anything to me, but perhaps it does to you chaps. (see second picture).

Appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Attachments

• IMG_0310 (1).jpg
    IMG_0310 (1).jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 202
  • CLOVER.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0312 (1).jpg
    IMG_0312 (1).jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 216
Update:

I'd actually not disabled VT in BIOS. Now I have I get a different error message. See attachment.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0313.jpg
    IMG_0313.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 161

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.3 KB · Views: 336
Thanks. I tried your updated config.plist but exactly the same error as before: "BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Unknown".

Could the problem be related to all those errors that appear before Clover loads up?

For some reason when I look at the config.plist in Clover Configurator the "Verbose (-v)" option is ticked, but when I open options in Clover it doesn't appear in the boot args. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_0316.jpg
    IMG_0316.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0317.jpg
    IMG_0317.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 177
Could the problem be related to all those errors that appear before Clover loads up?
I think that you mean the messages generated by APFS not errors.
How did you create your installer ?

For some reason when I look at the config.plist in Clover Configurator the "Verbose (-v)" option is ticked, but when I open options in Clover it doesn't appear in the boot args. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?
Something wrong, for verbose mode just press the spacebar and select it from the list.

I created it using the latest Unibeast. I've redone it 4 times already but always the same problem.

Is there a different / better way?

I created it using the latest Unibeast. I've redone it 4 times already but always the same problem.

Is there a different / better way?
There is a different way but it is not necessarily a better way.
Search createinstallmedia

Thanks. I'll check it out and report back. Appreciate your help.

Well I tried reformatting everything one more time today and using the updated config list from P1lgrim and everything worked perfectly!

Got High Sierra up and running now. Seems stable and is surprisingly fast. Everything seems to be working perfectly except:
(i) continuity
(ii) the hackintosh doesn't show up on my network like my other (real) Macs do.

I'll do some searching for those two things separately.

Thanks for the assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back