Contribute
Register

[SOLVED!!!] Dead Firewire problem after sleep/wake up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: [SOLVED!!!] Firewire problem, bogus Firewire GUID in DSDT?

Guys, great news!

Problem is SOLVED!!!!

Buy this item from Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002S53IG8
$25

It comes with a small bracket, but there's a longer bracket also included in the box. So just swap the brackets. It's got a *golden* TI chipset.... not some lame-o VIA firewire chipset.

Install card into a PCI Express slot.
Go to your bios and DISABLE the on-board Gigabyte FW port.
Reboot to OSX.

In your console log, you'll see a new message
NEW: FireWire (OHCI) TI ID 823f PCI now active, GUID 785634120000000b; max speed s800.

instead of the built-in Gigabyte Firewire port (remember to disable in BIOS onboard FW)
OLD: FireWire (OHCI) VendorID 1106 ID 3044 PCI now active, GUID 00656f1cda78cb00; max speed s400.

Notice, the new TI card also gives you 800Mbit speed.

Moment of truth test...
Played itunes. MOTU audio works.
Go to sleep.
Wake up.
Check Console Log. NO MORE ERRORS (Firewire unknown fffffff GUID)!
Play itunes again....
YES!... audio resumes where it left off.

... so if you'll be buying a Gigabyte motherboard, save your dollars and buy one without the onboard FW port (because they're crap anyway). Instead buy a TI-chipset Firewire card.

YAY!!!!

That's great news! I'm glad you found a workaround.
The onboard fw chip on the z68xp-ud5 is supposed to be TI as well according to that comparison chart that was posted somewhere on here. It's not fw 800 though.
I'm not quite sure if the ud5 will be right for me now. But if the fw works well...

Good news. I will buy it.
Thanks

Yes we know we can buy an external card to resolve the issue BUT it is a work around rather than a proper fix....still better than nowt...

I'm going to disable my firewire and see if that allows Lion to autosleep more than once before I buy a 2nd firewire card.

:cool:

ovb1 said:
Yes we know we can buy an external card to resolve the issue BUT it is a work around rather than a proper fix....still better than nowt...

I'm going to disable my firewire and see if that allows Lion to autosleep more than once before I buy a 2nd firewire card.

:cool:

According to your profile your onboard fw is a TI chipset. So that makes me wonder why that has issues as well. So if that means all onboard firewire have this problem I might as well choose something less expensive than the z68xp-ud5 and get a fw card.

Not all mbo's have this error...........BUT it does seem to effect gigabyte boards running Lion. I 'think' my board was ok under SL.

It seems to effect a small number of users - unless most people nolonger use their firewire or sleep or have not noticed?

But yes my board does have the TI chipset and still has the GUID ffffffff error but only after sleep. The problem is not the firewire card chipset but a sleep powermanagement problem?

I think / guess :crazy:

Yeah, it seems we firewire users are a small bunch. It used to be Firewire and Apple was like Peanut butter and Jam.... they always work and recommended interface back in the days when hooking up cameras, drives.

I 'think' my board was ok under SL.
I've come across threads at Apple support where even REAL Mac users are having problem with Firewire and Lion. Some cannot even mount their FW drives under Lion, but could under SL. So it seems to be only a Lion problem and only a fix from Apple (which we haven't seen), or a firmware update for the Firewire drive from the drive manufacturer is the fix to the problem. Some FW drives do not seem to have the problem, causing further confusion to the exact cause.

Also read that Apple has changed FW chipsets in their later hardware (i.e. no longer TI, I think the newer hardware is Lucent or Agere? ) and some say this is part of the problem (or not helping).

Back in the days of 10.3, 10.4 PowerPC Macs, Texas Instrument firewire is the recommended chipset for devices you'll buy... to guarantee they'll talk to your PowerMac G5. So when my Gigabyte mobo's FW was not acting right, I immediately suspected the chipset when I learned it's a VIA.

Yeah, it will be nice if a simple DSDT can fix this. But if the solution is really a TI chipset, then no amount of DSDT could probably fix a different hardware. (In the same token, no amount of DSDT could make it work it if you have an AMD cpu.) -- yeah yeah, I know some old Hacks are running on AMD, but there's always one or more caveats, and they're not running the latest Lion too!

It would be nice if my Giga onboard FW will still work (After sleep), but it's only good/working if you don't go to sleep.

For $25, the extra FW card is a great solution for me. I can go to sleep, wake up, seelp, wakeup, multiple times, and still have my MOTU and FW drives working *after* sleep.

I did notice one problem though and that is I still can't use a FW drive as a boot drive in my Lion... but then again, some REAL MAC USERS are also having the same exact FW boot problem.

**** ! i just change my Z68x ud4 b3 for a Asus p8p67 because of this problem ! and now i have a new problem...... no sleep enabler, at all with this board !! ..... But i remember with the Z68 ud4 b3 , not only the firewire did'nt wake up ,also the USB did'nt wake up, had to un-connect and then re-connect the USB ports, in order to work again...

powerpcg5 said:
Yeah, it seems we firewire users are a small bunch. It used to be Firewire and Apple was like Peanut butter and Jam.... they always work and recommended interface back in the days when hooking up cameras, drives.

I 'think' my board was ok under SL.
I've come across threads at Apple support where even REAL Mac users are having problem with Firewire and Lion. Some cannot even mount their FW drives under Lion, but could under SL. So it seems to be only a Lion problem and only a fix from Apple (which we haven't seen), or a firmware update for the Firewire drive from the drive manufacturer is the fix to the problem. Some FW drives do not seem to have the problem, causing further confusion to the exact cause.

Also read that Apple has changed FW chipsets in their later hardware (i.e. no longer TI, I think the newer hardware is Lucent or Agere? ) and some say this is part of the problem (or not helping).

Back in the days of 10.3, 10.4 PowerPC Macs, Texas Instrument firewire is the recommended chipset for devices you'll buy... to guarantee they'll talk to your PowerMac G5. So when my Gigabyte mobo's FW was not acting right, I immediately suspected the chipset when I learned it's a VIA.

Yeah, it will be nice if a simple DSDT can fix this. But if the solution is really a TI chipset, then no amount of DSDT could probably fix a different hardware. (In the same token, no amount of DSDT could make it work it if you have an AMD cpu.) -- yeah yeah, I know some old Hacks are running on AMD, but there's always one or more caveats, and they're not running the latest Lion too!

It would be nice if my Giga onboard FW will still work (After sleep), but it's only good/working if you don't go to sleep.

For $25, the extra FW card is a great solution for me. I can go to sleep, wake up, seelp, wakeup, multiple times, and still have my MOTU and FW drives working *after* sleep.

I did notice one problem though and that is I still can't use a FW drive as a boot drive in my Lion... but then again, some REAL MAC USERS are also having the same exact FW boot problem.

I rolled back from Lion on my Macbook Pro beacuse my Tascam audio interface took objection to it, it works perfectly on many other platforms so it IS Lion IMO

I have a TI chipped PCIe card installed ATM and the Hackintosh sees the interface (and a FW HDD works fine) but can I get sound out of it ?...

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EytotH8BENI[/VIDEO]

No, no, no (as the cat says ;) )

- The motherboard FW was working perfectly for me until I started booting from HDD and I am therefore desperately looking for a way to roll back the firwire drive to what it was before

Ho hum :think:

More Lion/Firewire problems from the Apple discussion board.

Firewire issue after installing Lion
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3199793

I installed Lion but the firewire is NOT recognized on my Mac Pro!
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3195666

Can't boot from clone through firewire (Lion)
https://discussions.apple.com/message/15787251#15787251

HD stopped mounting with Firewire 800 on iMac running Lion
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3361487

Firewire hard drive no longer recognised under Lion
https://discussions.apple.com/message/15747670#15747670

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back