Contribute
Register

(Solved) Crash on booting Monterey (i3-6100/hd530)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Inspiron 3471
CPU
i3-9100
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. LC
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Greetings. Initial problem:
As of a few days ago, my skylake i3-6100, using the HD530 intel graphics fails. I'm booting under Clover, 5141. This system works under Big Sur, but after updating to Monterey, the booting screen wentr black at about 30% load bar, and cannot be recovered. The monitor says HDMI connection is lost. The drive continues to function for a while but eventually reboots.
I tested two suggestions, but both did not fix my issue. Bootargs agdpmod=pikera and -lilubetaall

This was the behavior using Lilu/WEG/AppleALC as of a few days ago. These were just updated 11/1/2021 to the current versions, and the behavior changed from a crash to the Apple Prohibited screen.

Good that the update touched the problem, bad that it still fails to boot. Please help interpret.

Greetings. Initial problem:
As of a few days ago, my skylake i3-6100, using the HD530 intel graphics fails. I'm booting under Clover, 5141. This system works under Big Sur, but after updating to Monterey, the booting screen wentr black at about 30% load bar, and cannot be recovered. The monitor says HDMI connection is lost. The drive continues to function for a while but eventually reboots.
I tested two suggestions, but both did not fix my issue. Bootargs agdpmod=pikera and -lilubetaall

This was the behavior using Lilu/WEG/AppleALC as of a few days ago. These were just updated 11/1/2021 to the current versions, and the behavior changed from a crash to the Apple Prohibited screen.

Good that the update touched the problem, bad that it still fails to boot. Please help interpret.
boot verbose to see the issue

Thanks for the advice. I tried, and it failed differently. This time, in verbose mode, it never got out of the preboot. Attached JPG seems to indicate disk corruption. Previously it would get into the boot screen and past where I hear audio static before failing. I'll try reinstalling on the drive (for the third time).

Attachments

• Screen.jpg
    Screen.jpg
    504.5 KB · Views: 162
Reformated a blank drive and installed Monterey on it. It auto-booted but then crashed as before. I caught the last bit on a movie of the boot process in verbose mode. While there were many errors, none were fatal until the last sequence when the screen went dark just as it seemed to be working on the audio. Perhaps this means something to you.

Edit: A new release, Clover 5242, just installed. Did not help.

Edit 2: This is still a live issue. I went to the trouble of creating an OC 7.4 install. It is still rough, but it succeeded in installing the old Big Sur 11.6.1 system, and it also failed on the Monterey install. So I think there really is a hardware/ kext incompatability that falls outside the usual simple fixes. Thoughts?

Edit 3: OC 7.5 boots the OS 11.6.1 but still fails on the Monterey install.

Attachments

• Screen.jpg
    Screen.jpg
    518.6 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Solved my own problem. It took long enough. So it turns out that Monterey is more picky about naming conventions than Big Sur was. Deep in the Frame Buffer you can configure individual ports, and assign them an identity. I did not realize that while the port I use for my main monitor is physically an HDMI port, in Frame Buffer data in my config it was specified as a default DP port. Big Sur never objected to this mismatch. But Monterey crashed on booting. When I explored, and specified that it was an HDMI port (using Hackintool), the repaired Config does boot under both OS. That only took several months...
I hope this helps some other poor soul.

Solved my own problem. It took long enough. So it turns out that Monterey is more picky about naming conventions than Big Sur was. Deep in the Frame Buffer you can configure individual ports, and assign them an identity. I did not realize that while the port I use for my main monitor is physically an HDMI port, in Frame Buffer data in my config it was specified as a default DP port. Big Sur never objected to this mismatch. But Monterey crashed on booting. When I explored, and specified that it was an HDMI port (using Hackintool), the repaired Config does boot under both OS. That only took several months...
I hope this helps some other poor soul.
@moshes

this is exactly my problem, too. I have researched device-id's and platform-id's for HD530. I found the info in whatevergreen documentation about the one device-id with an HDMI connector, but still no luck.

what combo of devlce and platform id's are you using? also, what did you do via Hackintool, and how did you do it for Monterey before you were able to boot to Monterey?

I have an i3-6100 in a gigabyte H110M mobo.

thanks!!

UPDATE:

with your hint about Hackintool, I found all the possible platform-id's for the HD530.

following the example of someone else's config (which didn't boot my board) I removed all the arguments from the device property listing for the graphics: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0). then I tried all the platform-id's from Hackintool.

I had both an HDMI monitor and DVI monitor attached. only one id booted with DVI active (full acceleration) but not HDMI and it was 00003B19. several others hung or did not display proper output: 01000219, 01001719, 01001219, 01003219, and 06001619. all the other id's booted with HDMI active (full acceleration) but not DVI.

Last edited:
@moshes

this is exactly my problem, too. I have researched device-id's and platform-id's for HD530. I found the info in whatevergreen documentation about the one device-id with an HDMI connector, but still no luck.

what combo of devlce and platform id's are you using? also, what did you do via Hackintool, and how did you do it for Monterey before you were able to boot to Monterey?

I have an i3-6100 in a gigabyte H110M mobo.

thanks!!

UPDATE:

with your hint about Hackintool, I found all the possible platform-id's for the HD530.

following the example of someone else's config (which didn't boot my board) I removed all the arguments from the device property listing for the graphics: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0). then I tried all the platform-id's from Hackintool.

I had both an HDMI monitor and DVI monitor attached. only one id booted with DVI active (full acceleration) but not HDMI and it was 00003B19. several others hung or did not display proper output: 01000219, 01001719, 01001219, 01003219, and 06001619. all the other id's booted with HDMI active (full acceleration) but not DVI.
I was not able to get two monitors to work using HD530. I contrived a work around. See this thread, using a DisplayLink adaptor that does not use the motherboard graphics for the second monitor. Note the adapter that I bought, and works for me, is available on Ebay and on Amazon. You will have to install an updater App (for Big Sur and Monterey) available at site mentioned in the link below. Search for C2G 30561.

link 1

The config.plist file I use now contains this block. It specifies one HDMI port as active. For my second monitor I use the DisplayLink adapter (above) using a USB3 port, but this is invisible to the bootloader. (You do need to install a driver-app). :

<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
<dict>
<key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
<data>AAASGQ==</data>
<key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
<string>Internal@0,2,0</string>
<key>device-id</key>
<data>EhkAAA==</data>
<key>device_type</key>
<string>VGA compatible controller</string>
<key>framebuffer-con1-enable</key>
<data>AQAAAA==</data>
<key>framebuffer-con1-pipe</key>
<data>EgAAAA==</data>
<key>framebuffer-con1-type</key>
<data>AAgAAA==</data>
<key>framebuffer-con2-enable</key>
<data>AQAAAA==</data>
<key>framebuffer-con2-pipe</key>
<data>EgAAAA==</data>
<key>framebuffer-con2-type</key>
<data>AQAAAA==</data>
<key>framebuffer-con3-enable</key>
<data>AQAAAA==</data>
<key>framebuffer-con3-pipe</key>
<data>EgAAAA==</data>
<key>framebuffer-con3-type</key>
<data>AQAAAA==</data>
<key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
<data>AQAAAA==</data>
<key>hda-gfx</key>
<string>onboard-1</string>
<key>model</key>
<string>Intel HD Graphics 530</string>
</dict>

Last edited:
@moshes
I tried the above plist segment. the boot never completes. after a couple of minutes it loops between a couple of AppleKeyStore messages--unexpected session and operation failed--and many txflush messages.

might be due to difference in motherboards--mine is a GA-H110M-S2H (same proc as you) or an incorrect BIOS setting.

also--if I decode the platform ID and device ID correctly they are 00001825 and 18250000 respectively. is that a spoof of another GPU? if I'm right, the HD530 devlce ID is 12190000.

Last edited:
It does sound like there is a problem with a setting at boot. I use that segment in my pref. Under the system information report, my graphics device ID is 0x1912. It is not spoofed. That is the native ID for the hd530.
In the bios, you have to set the VRAM size. Mine is set to 1536 MB or Max.

Here is the Apple info:
Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 530
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
Slot: Internal@0,2,0
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB
Vendor: Intel
Device ID: 0x1912
Revision ID: 0x0006
Metal Family: Supported, Metal GPUFamily macOS 2
Using the Hackintool, I see the device ID below, as 0x19128086

1644496933865.jpeg

@moshes
I tried the above plist segment. the boot never completes. after a couple of minutes it loops between a couple of AppleKeyStore messages--unexpected session and operation failed--and many txflush messages.
my error. your open core entries in your above post work fine. in my haste I assumed the "connector type" data was all the same which if course they aren't. a couple of days later I tried again, found my error, and now I get full acceleration.

however, if I allow either the screen to sleep or the computer to sleep, it freezes. did you experience that?

not a big problem, as this will be an always-on server and I will disable monitor and system sleep and switch the monitor off when I'm not accessing the machine.

thanks for your help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back