Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] CPU running slow (only 1.2 GHz)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Win8
CPU
i7
Graphics
GTX 460
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello,

my Hackintosh has an Intel Core i7 870 as a processor, which has a stock speed of 2,93 GHz. I've overclocked it to 3,2 GHz, which is stable in Windows (verified with Aida64). But when I check for the actual clock speeds in macOS Mojave with HWMonitor, only 1,2 GHz are displayed (which actually would explain the somewhat slow overall macOS performance on my machine). Also my Cinebench Score is 178 on macOS, while I score 510 on Windows.

What can I do to enable the full performance in macOS?

Thanks in advance.

Actually I've found out what the problem was. The 3,2 GHz were achieved by setting the multiplier of the cpu to 24 in the BIOS. The multiplier of the CPU ranges from 9 to 24 with a base frequency of 133 MHz. When you multiply 133 MHz * 9 you get 1,2 GHz, which is exactly what macOS was showing me. So something had to be wrong with how the CPU's multiplier is set. As it turns out, the OS is responsible for setting the multiplier, but as the i7 870 is not in any Mac supported by macOS Mojave, that doesn't work. So I just needed the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and everything is fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back