Contribute
Register

[Solved] Couldn't allocate runtime area error during clover boot install Mojave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you tried CMOS Reset by shorting 2 pins on the motherboard as described in the Gigabyte user's manual? This will also reset BIOS parameters to their factory-default values, so it will necessary to set them again.

I'm just a girl i dont know how to find those 2 pins :(

Have you tried CMOS Reset by shorting 2 pins on the motherboard as described in the Gigabyte user's manual? This will also reset BIOS parameters to their factory-default values, so it will necessary to set them again.

I found the 2 pins that says CLR CMOS so all i have to do now is use my screw driver to touch the 2 pins at the same time to clear my CMOS?

Last edited:
i have no idea where those 2 pins are
Look in your motherboard manual that came in the box. Your gender has nothing to do with preventing you from reading a manual. It will have diagrams of every part of the board. It's there if you look. Here's a hint. Find it near the CR2032 battery. It's a round coin size battery. Usually lies flat on the board in a socket. You can even take a close up picture of the board with your cell phone then zoom in on the area around the battery.

Last edited:
how to find those 2 pins
It's a number somewhere between 19 and 22 if you need a stronger hint.

Screen Shot 1.jpg

Thank you i used a screwdriver to touch the 2 pins the same time for 1 minute as well as removed the battery from the cmos - upon rebooting it still went into looping black screen of death when i pressed F12 for boot into menu.

Thank you i used a screwdriver to touch the 2 pins the same time for 1 minute as well as removed the battery from the cmos - upon rebooting it still went into looping black screen of death when i pressed F12 for boot into menu.

What happens if you try to boot with no hard drives or SSDs connected?

Ugh, I'm feeling the pain of the "Couldn't allocate runtime area." My install was running fine about 3 weeks ago when I unplugged it and moved 600 miles. I just got the chance to hook it up and turn it on and immediately got this error. I've been banging my head against the desk for hours trying every conceivable variant of memory drivers, slide=[0,1,2,3,4], no slide, etc. Nothing seems to work anymore. Even my bootable backup (that I verified worked) stopped working. The only difference between when it was running and now is that previously, it was connected to ethernet whereas now I'm connected to WiFi. I can't imagine that difference would cause this memory allocation issue, but who knows.

To make matters more difficult, I'm running Catalina on my MBP and can't install a newer version of Clover on a USB drive for testing. See here for a lovely conversation about that: https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader/issues/6

I'm at my wits end. I really have no idea where to go from here :|

Ugh, I'm feeling the pain of the "Couldn't allocate runtime area." My install was running fine about 3 weeks ago when I unplugged it and moved 600 miles. I just got the chance to hook it up and turn it on and immediately got this error. I've been banging my head against the desk for hours trying every conceivable variant of memory drivers, slide=[0,1,2,3,4], no slide, etc. Nothing seems to work anymore. Even my bootable backup (that I verified worked) stopped working. The only difference between when it was running and now is that previously, it was connected to ethernet whereas now I'm connected to WiFi. I can't imagine that difference would cause this memory allocation issue, but who knows.

To make matters more difficult, I'm running Catalina on my MBP and can't install a newer version of Clover on a USB drive for testing. See here for a lovely conversation about that: https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader/issues/6

I'm at my wits end. I really have no idea where to go from here :|

You can construct your own EFI folder without launching the Clover installer.

Download a complete EFI folder from here.
Once you have that, you can choose which drivers and/or kexts to add/remove.
Then edit the config.plist to your liking.
Then copy the entire EFI folder to the EFI partition of your USB flash drive.

Another alternative is to use an app called Pacifist to open the Clover installer and manually extract the files needed to build your EFI folder.

You can construct your own EFI folder without launching the Clover installer.

Download a complete EFI folder from here.
Once you have that, you can choose which drivers and/or kexts to add/remove.
Then edit the config.plist to your liking.
Then copy the entire EFI folder to the EFI partition of your USB flash drive.

Another alternative is to use an app called Pacifist to open the Clover installer and manually extract the files needed to build your EFI folder.
I don't know what happened to my EFI folder or what changes in env happened between shutdown and startup. I ended up doing just that... taking @psedog's EFI from a guide because he has the closest match to my setup. And that worked. Got me into the system. I eventually just copied his EFI over mine (except for config.plist) and that seems to have solved it (for now) :)

I don't know what happened to my EFI folder or what changes in env happened between shutdown and startup. I ended up doing just that... taking @psedog's EFI from a guide because he has the closest match to my setup. And that worked. Got me into the system. I eventually just copied his EFI over mine (except for config.plist) and that seems to have solved it (for now) :)
It was probably OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi that fixed your issue. From what I can tell, it's the best option for our motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back