Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Constant reboot after install

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the installer is nearly done, it says it's restarting the Mac to finish, as usual. But then, I think it's stuck in the reboot loop, so it can't ever finish what it needs to do.

I don't understand how the hard drive has a config.plist on it if you have not completed the OS installation.
You said in Post #1 that you formatted the disk and installing Clover is a post installation task.

I will look again later, it's trying the installation again now.

Alright, I started from scratch again—reformatted the internal drive in the iMac, then let Clover launch the macOS installer. The installer completes, and says it needs to reboot. When it reboots, I never get to macOS; the machine reboots back to the Clover boot loader after I select the internal drive. It does so at the point shown in the original screenshot.

I am totally stuck at this point, as I swear I've taken the thing back to basically it's just post-assemly condition: I reset the BIOS, then set it again according to the guide (though no changes were required). I even pulled the power cord and motherboard battery for 10 minutes.

I then took both the USB stick and the hard drive, and mounted them on the iMac. I copied the EFI folder from each drive's EFI partition. Attached are a few things:

• A screenshot of the EFI folder from frankenmac, the internal drive after the mostly-succesful installer run.
• A screenshot of the EFI folder from the USB stick.
• The config.plist file from the EFI of the USB stick. As you guessed, there isn't one on the frankenmac drive.

Hope this helps; let me know if you need anything from either EFI folder.

thanks!

Attachments

• efi_frankenmac.png
    efi_frankenmac.png
    147.2 KB · Views: 169
  • efi_usb.png
    efi_usb.png
    205.9 KB · Views: 167
  • config.plist
    5 KB · Views: 208
config.plist is wrong for integrated graphics and wrong for Nvidia graphics too.
As you are intending to use the GTX 1080 I would suggest installing the OS with the graphics card in place.

Disable integrated graphics in BIOS and set PEG as primary.
Boot with nv_disable=1 until you have completed installation of the OS and the web drivers.
Post install :
Config.plist - Do not inject Intel or Nvidia graphics
Edit config.plist - NvidiaWeb = true as per Link
Will need to emulate NVRAM - Problem 6
Remove nv_disable=1 from config.plist

Thanks for the advice, but last night I figured out the problem -- not why it happened, but what had happened. I booted into single user mode, and noticed the timestamp on many of the system files were really wrong. Some were in 1969, others in 2037. The date command returned some day in 2040.

I rebooted into BIOS, fixed the date, reformatted the drive, then reinstalled one last time. And that time, it worked as is, with no config file changes (off the onboard video). So now it's up and running again, and I'm back to the fine details (sound, Messages, etc.)

Thank you for the assistance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back