Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Clover Update r4586 disables OS Boot (Black Screen)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't get any of the available drives to mount once I'm in UEFI Shell. I get the below message for all my available options.

" 'fsx' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or script file."

Any thoughts

Are you forgetting the ":" at the end? I did that the first time. Your final command should have the full "FS#:" on it.

But then again, Clover Shell? Do we mean the Clover Boot Options -or- Start UEFI Shell 64 from the installer USB stick? There's no app specifically titled Clover Shell.

"Start UEFI Shell 64"! And that will be on your Clover Boot screen, no USB necessary!

Last edited:
I'm a little discouraged by the "Prohib" signs I get from trying to install Sierra from one USB or High Sierra and its black screen from another USB installer. If I could ever get this to work, I'd be happy to revise some of the instructions from a more "Technical Writing" POV, because I strongly believe that precise terminology –even if it's not code related, phrasing, and sequence are vital to a successful build. I have the parts and the BIOS tweaks, and everything is fine on Windows 10. I just can't make the macOS stick. USB voltages are fine, btw... I'll hack away, but with less enthusiasm because I have music to write and I really need to get back to that.

Are you forgetting the ":" at the end? I did that the first time. Your final command should have the full "FS#:" on it.
Thanks MissCatD for pointing out my pathetic oversight. Literally wasn't using the colon. Ughh!! Once that was resolved everything worked great, thanks!!

This seems to be the very problem I am having and I can go into the UEFI shell and see the list of drives, and it even lets me type "map FS#" but then when I type ls, it just says current directory not specified. Is there a step I am missing?

Thank you, you have literally save my day. I didn't intend to update to 10.13.6 but I thought updating clover is "why not"... turns out that's the most stupid idea I did for the day. Luckily I still have another computer that I can access internet and found your post.

This was a huge help. I’m still on Sierra but updated Clover to the latest because...well...I don’t know why I did, it was all working perfectly fine before the update. I was kicking myself for hours because I have an entire backup startup drive in my machine and arrogantly updated Clover on both before rebooting the first and confirming success. Took most of the day to fix.

I think there is a bug in the Clover install that overlooks that file on some machines. If you customize the Clover install, which I never considered before yesterday, you can see it’s still there and available.

A more convenient solution to a potential Unlucky Clover issue is to have a backup boot device, even one with an old system/Clover installation. I (now) have a very old 16GB SSD in a USB enclosure lying around that easily holds a basic Unibeast installation and a working older version of Clover. That enables me to get to the Clover boot screen, and from there to choose the usual MacOS boot volume, and from there to use the usual Clover and EFI manipulation tools to troubleshoot the missing files...instead of tracking down typing all those long copy/cp commands. (So yeah, I now have two backup boot systems.)

I also discovered yesterday that the copy commands in that barebones Clover Shell absolutely do not work reliably. In my efforts yesterday trying to better understand the problem, and maybe due to some confusion as to which of my EFI drives was being summoned at boot by the NVRAM settings in the motherboard, I tried to copy the entire backup Clover to the working Clover installation in various ways. The Clover Shell cp command worked on individual small files, as you’ve explained it here, but stopped dead in its tracks, frozen solid, on any medium to large copy job whether that job was a single file or multiple files in a directory.

Very frustrating. There’s really no substitute for some kind of a backup boot device with a Hackintosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back