Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Clover Update r4586 disables OS Boot (Black Screen)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
CPU
i9-13900K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
After I updated to Clover 4586 and could no longer boot up my computer, I was in a panic. I'm sure I wasn't the only one, and I'm sure there are still a number of others out there still trying to figure this out, so I felt a direct and easily-accessible thread was a good resort for anyone still struggling to get this figured out!

After searching myself to near-death for hours on-end, I finally found this amazing comment by @ukulele01 with a thorough explanation of how to fix the situation using back-up files that are already easily accessible on your computer via the Clover Shell. [Note: YOU DO NOT NEED TO DOWNLOAD ANY EXTERNAL FILES OR REFRESH YOUR OS TO PERFORM THIS UPDATE!! Just follow the instructions.]

Source Link: [REPORT] issue with clover 4586 - MacOS 10.13.5
Source Post:
I ran into the same issue by not changing options in clover install. Normally all is ok but with this version clover seems to change one efi file and does not replace with new one. Like Lundli mentioned, it's the AptioMemoryFix you have to choose. I forgot that and I couldn't boot from any of my USB sticks or anything else. Boot stops at End Randomseed++++.

Here's a solution how to fix it:

1. Press an arrow key when clover comes up so you stop counting down to boot mac os.
2. Choose Clover Shell and hit Enter.
3. Now you should see some FSX: drives (use PgUp/PgDown to view).
4. You can mount a drive with map FSX (where X is the number of the drive you want to mount)
5. Step by step mount the drives. You can go to a drive by typing e.g. FS0:
To change a directory use cd [dir]
List files with ls and use command help to show all commands.
6. One drive should be the EFI drive and one drive with your macos install. Clover does a backup before install (thanks god :)) in the root folder of your macos partition.
7. So go to the backup folder in CLOVER\drivers64UEFI\ and copy the file OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi to the same directory in your EFI drive with command cp src dst (src=path to OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi; dst=path to destination directory on EFI drive).
8. After that type exit.
9. YOU MUST REBOOT NOW!
10. Now all is fine and be careful at next clover install... like me :banghead:;)

Hope this helps someone...

Update
After that procedure and you install clover 4586 again (with AptioMemoryFix-64 enabled!) or next update check out your EFI drive. When you see AptioMemoryFix-64.efi just delete the old OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi
You should do that before reboot!

THANK YOU SO MUCH, @ukulele01 , YOU'RE BRILLIANT AND YOU SAVED MY SANITY!!! The refresher course on using Clover Shell was a nice addition to finally getting my Hack up and running again, too. So seriously, thank you.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
When I first attempted to get this worked out, I was over-exhausted, hadn't changed anything on my Hackintosh in over a year so felt a bit out of practice on the whole process, and felt stupid because of it! ..But after getting some long-needed sleep.. ..I figured it out!! >< So for anyone else feeling too exhausted to think, a bit out of practice or just stupid, like myself, THIS WALKTHROUGH IS FOR YOU!

PRE-NOTES: Once you're in Clover Shell...
• Press the "page up" and "page down" buttons on your keyboard to scroll through the Clover Shell data
• To see a fresh list of the Drives you will be exploring in this tutorial, type "map"
• To open/select one of the drives, you will type "FS#:" [With the #, being the number of the drive you are checking]
• To check/List the contents of the drive selected, you will type "ls"
• To view/list the Contents of a Directory within your selected drive, you will type "cd DIRECTORY_NAME" [with the "DIRECTORY_NAME" in my example being the name of the directory listed on the right end]
• To Copy over the missing file from one directory to another, you will type "cp" followed by the path to the file you need to copy, followed by the path to the location it needs to be copied to [Example shown below]
• The missing file you are looking for is entitled, "OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi"

PROCESS:
1. AS Ukulele01 explains, after your clover screen has booted up, hit 'right' on your keyboard until you select the Clover Shell. Hit Enter.
2. After Shell has loaded, a list of "FS#:" drives will be listed. One of these drives will have the back-up file you need to fix the problem, and another one of them will have the drive that's missing this file, causing the problem!
3. So to find which Drive is which, we're going to check them, one by one, starting with the first one shown! To check them, you will...
3a. Starting with the first drive listed, type "FS#:" [with the # being the number of the drive shown]
3b. To list the contents of this drive, type "ls"
4a. After typing "ls" in your selected Drive, you will know if it is the correct Drive if you see both of these items listed as Directories [To be more specific, I knew mine was the correct one when I saw the OS and "EFI-Backups" Directories listed.​
5. After you have located "EFI-Backups", enter this Directory by typing "cd EFI-Backups" and hitting enter
6. After entering this Directory, you should see a list of backups listed as "r####" [with the #'s being a string of various number combinations].
6a. Now you're going to want to check each of these back-ups, just like you checked each of the Drives!
6b. Just as before, we are going to check these Directories by typing "cd r####" [with #### being the string of numbers listed]
6c. After entering the 'r####' back-up, you will then likely find a list of dates, which yes, you have to check too! To shorten time, I suggest checking the last/newest one.
6d. So go up the list checking these dates, again by typing "cd DATE". [The "DATE" in this example will look similar to something like "2018-07-10-10h32"]
6e. When you find the date that has the Directory "EFI", which has the Directory "CLOVER", which has the Directory "drivers64UEFI", which has the file "OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi" listed, you know YOU'VE WON!!
Here's a picture of when I first found my missing file.
20180711_091720.jpg

As shown in the path at the bottom of the picture, the path to my missing file was, "FS1:\EFI-Backups\r4063\2018-07-10-10h32\EFI\CLOVER\drivers64UEFI\OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi"
7. Like my own, your missing file path will be along the lines of "FS#:\EFI-Backups\r####\####-##-##-##h##\EFI\CLOVER\drivers64UEFI\OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi"
8. Hold onto this path, you will need it later!!

..WOOHOO, OBJECTIVE ONE HAS BEEN MET!! Furthermore...

10. After you have located the drive with "EFI", search that Directory with "cd EFI", in which you should then find the Directory "CLOVER", which has the Directory "drivers64UEFI"
11. THIS IS THE DIRECTORY THAT NEEDS THE MISSING FILE!! WOOO!

Here's a picture of when I first found my lacking Directory.
20180711_090954.jpg

12. As shown in the path at the bottom of the picture, again, my path that requires the missing file to fix the boot problem was, "FS0:\EFI\CLOVER\drivers64UEFI\"
13. Like my own, your lacking directory path will be along the same lines of "FS#:\EFI\CLOVER\drivers64UEFI\"
14. Hold on to this path too, you will also need it later!!

..HUZZAH, OBJECTIVE TWO MET!! Onward..

15. So now, I don't know if this was necessary or not, but to return to the initial Shell, I reset my computer and entered the Clover Shell once again. This is where those paths we saved come in handy!
16. This time I typed "cp" followed by the [missing file path] followed by the [lacking Directory path]. In Example...
16a. For mine I typed, "cp FS1:\EFI-Backups\r4063\2018-07-10-10h32\EFI\CLOVER\drivers64UEFI\OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi FS0:\EFI\CLOVER\drivers64UEFI\" and hit enter.​
17. If this works, it will then relay a statement starting with "Copying" - your string - " - [ok]"

Here's a picture of when I reset my Clover Shell and copied the file over...
20180711_093024.jpg

YAAAAAAAAY, IT WORKED!!! ..But to double check, I did go back into the originally Lacking Directory to make sure the new file was there, and of course it was. As shown...
20180711_093255.jpg

...So yeah. Now just pick back up on ukulele01's directions.
18. Type in "exit" and Reboot your system.
29. Now your OS should load up just fine with no issues, and you should be all good. ^^

Again, THANK YOU SO MUCH, @ukulele01 FOR ALL YOUR HELP!! I hope this post makes it easier for people to find the answer to this issue, and I hope my extra notes make it easier for others who aren't so experienced to understand it!
THAAAAAANK YOOOOUUU!!!

Cat

Last edited:
It's worth noting that you may want to compare the full contents of your backup drivers64UEFI folder to the current one for other missing files. My Clover update also deleted EmuVariableUefi-64.efi, which would have prevented my mobo from seeing the virtual nvram file. Great writeup!

It's worth noting that you may want to compare the full contents of your backup drivers64UEFI folder to the current one for other missing files. My Clover update also deleted EmuVariableUefi-64.efi, which would have prevented my mobo from seeing the virtual nvram file. Great writeup!

Smart move! Thanks for the heads up! Will be sure to double check on that, tonight!

Excellent post thank you!
Do you know if I will be able to access the backups if I enabled FileVault? My understanding is that since it’s enceypted îm screwed with the backups? Or is it a separate non-encrypted partition?

I’m gonna work on that tomorrow ^^

I was cursing myself for clicking the 10.13.6 update without checking about issues. I was stuck at blank screen and tried all other options but no result. This post saved my day and night :). Thanks

Are you sure you still need that? the reason why it was removed is cause it's actually deprecated as well by newer memory fixes which no longer break nvram on newer boards like old memfixes did. I'd see if it's required still. The new memfix driver should already handle nvram.

For my part, I found 'Apple Image Codec' and 'Emu Variable' missing in the updated folder.

But then again, Clover Shell? Do we mean the Clover Boot Options -or- Start UEFI Shell 64 from the installer USB stick? There's no app specifically titled Clover Shell.

The Clover Shell can be accessed when you are in the Clover boot screen and then it is in the lower row of icons (under the drives row), the first on the left side.

I can't get any of the available drives to mount once I'm in UEFI Shell. I get the below message for all my available options.

" 'fsx' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or script file."

Any thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back