Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Clover Update r4586 disables OS Boot (Black Screen)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am able to mount the FSx drives (Via FSx: ), however when I type Is, I get this error - 'Is' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or script file. - I get the same error for each FSx drive listed. (I am typing Is without apostrophe/quotation marks but have tried both those ways just in case.)
However, when I mount the FSx drives I can type the cd EFI-Backups and was able to find the drive that way, as it mounted me to the Directory FSx:\EFI-Backups\. But I cant see/list the backups in it, tried typing Is while in the directory and still got the same error as above.

You have to type lowercase L and lowercase s -> ls

Just to add my $0.02 from my experience updating Clover to r4586, in preparation for the update to 10.13.16 from 10.13.2.

AptioMemoryFix does NOT work for my setup (motherboard GA-Z77X-UD5 TH)

Boot failed almost immediately with a misleading error message about the pre-linked kernel, but the actual error is the one above, failure to allocate memory pages.

Solution: replace AptioMemoryFix.efi with OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi (available from the official Clover ISO image of the same r4586 build.)

To replace the file, I boot into recovery mode using my USB thumb drive. I read from an earlier thread that it is also possible to perform equivalent file operations using the EFI Shell from Clover without the need to boot into recovery mode, but for me, booting into recovery mode is easier and is something I am more familiar with.

Additional Notes:
- Here’s my ‘minimal’ working Clover install with boot drive already converted into APFS:

- drivers64UEFI:
ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi
AppleImageCodec-64.efi
AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi
AppleUITheme-64.efi
FirmwareVolume-64.efi
FSInject-64.efi
OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi
SMCHelper-64.efi
VBoxHfs-64.efi

- kext/Others:
AppleALC.kext
CodecCommander.kext
FakeSMC.kext
IntelMausiEthernet.kext
Lilu.kext
USBInjectAll.kext

AppleALC.kext together with the config Inject Audio ID Layout #1 + ResetHDA gives me full audio support without patching. Also the ACPI patch "change HDAS to HDEF" is NOT required.

- To enable all USB ports I used the new USB patch for 10.13.6:
  1. Mount EFI Partition with Clover Configurator
  2. Navigate to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Clover/
  3. Right-click open config.plist with Clover Configurator
  4. Click Kernel and Kext Patches under SECTIONS of Clover Configurator
  5. Click the “+” button near the bottom to add this patch:
    1. Name*: com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI
    2. Find* [HEX]: 837D880F 0F83A704 0000
    3. Replace* [HEX]: 837D880F 90909090 9090
    4. Comment: USB 10.13.6+ by PMHeart
    5. MatchOS: 10.13.x
  6. Save config.plist
- NVRAM is natively supported on this motherboard and hence Clover NVRAM emulation is NOT required. I did the housekeeping to remove all related files using the uninstaller available from this site. Tested NVRAM between reboot using the following procedure:

sudo -s
nvram -c
nvram set myvar=test
(Reboot)
nvram -p

big thanx
you save my life!

Thanks so much! This worked for me.

So, is it safe to upgrade Clover the simple way yet? If not, will it be safe one day soon? Or... is there a way to get around all of these problems if one has a working machine, before doing the upgrade?

After I updated to Clover 4586 and could no longer boot up my computer, I was in a panic. I'm sure I wasn't the only one, and I'm sure there are still a number of others out there still trying to figure this out, so I felt a direct and easily-accessible thread was a good resort for anyone still struggling to get this figured out!
Cat

I didn't have to go through the process you posted. This worked for me:

https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/tickets/484/

Daniel Strahm's post.

I can't get any of the available drives to mount once I'm in UEFI Shell. I get the below message for all my available options.

" 'fsx' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or script file."

Any thoughts

The instructions/write up by @ukulele01 is perfect - the work of a genius!! I too received similar error message when I first typed the FS# (where '#' is the figure immediately after 'FS') onto clover shell, but that was because I failed to type in : (colon) after the FS#, for example directory FS0 would be typed in as 'FS0: ls' and hit enter, which will open up the directory. The directory you would be looking for should have 'EFI' listed! To view contents of the EFI directory, you simply type cd EFI and hit enter - as per @ukulele01 instructions/write up. It definitely works 'cos I've been able to boot up my hackintosh! My heartfelt thanks to @ukulele01 - you are simply a genius! Well done, carry on the good work

It might be of interest for some of you to know, that there is a new issue updating newer versions to Clover 4658 and how to solve the issue.

ISSUE:

I had a (almost) fully functional Clover 4630 dual boot configuration to OSX 10.13.6 and SuseLinux. After discovering the potential of Clover Configurator I updated enthusiastically my Clover from 4630 to 4658 with a Black Screen after reboot and Clover UI.

SOLVING the issue:

This posts from early 2018 is solving a similar issue by copying OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi from the youngest of the old Clover-/EFI-Backups to new /EFI with the Clover-Shell. Back then the new AptioMemoryFix-64.efi caused that problem from older Clover versions.

Trying to solve the matter with the suggested method I found out, that my old EFI-Backup of my youngest Clover 4630-EFI-Backup did NOT contain the old OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi but already the new AptioMemoryFix-64.efi. And my new \EFI did NOT contain one or the other of these files!

So I copied the AptioMemoryFix-64.efi from the FS?\EFI-Backups\rXXXX\YYYY-MM-DD-HHhMIN\EFI\CLOVER\drivers64UEFI directory to the FS??\EFI\CLOVER\drivers64UEFI\ directory. (Explanation for the Link: XXXX is the last Clover version, which worked for you, e.g. r4630 for Clover 4630. YYYY is the year, MM the month, dd the the day and HH the hour and MIN the minutes of your last EFI-backup. So for me it looked like ...\r4630\2018-08-23-21h45\EFI\...

For all the newbees like me:

1. Boot your computer.

2. If clover pops up, hit one of the arrow keys to stop the automatic countdown to boot an OS.

3. Click with your mouse the Clover Shell symbol (usually most left in the 2nd row beneath your boot options).

4. Type "map". You will get a list of your drives.

5. Make a list of your drives at paper with a pen. (Yeah, real high tech!) FS0: FS1: ...

6. Start with your first drive by typing "FS1:" and hit enter.

7. Type "ls" (small "L" with a small "s"). You´ll get a list of directories.

8. If you get a directory named "EFI" or "EFI-Backups" type for instance "cd EFI" and hit enter.

9. In our example you will (after typing "ls" in the EFI-directory) see a Clover-directory. Repeat the cd - ls - sequence until you see the directories at the lowest level with your missing and containing AptioMemoryFix-64.efi, respectively. To move to higher levels, type "cd.."

10. Make notes, where your missing file (AptioMemoryFix-64.efi) is (in the EFI-backups-link) and where your file is needed (in the EFI-Link). DO NOT REBOOT your computer!!! (For me it changed all the numbers of the drives, so I had to start with 4.) again.)

11. Type your version of "cp FS?\EFI-Backups\rXXXX\YYYY-MM-DD-HHhMIN\EFI\CLOVER\drivers64UEFI\AptioMemoryFix-64.efi FS??\EFI\CLOVER\drivers64UEFI\" and hit enter. You should get a success note after the procedure ("OK").

12. Reboot computer.

13. Enjoy booting OSX again.

I hope this helps guys like me, not having a backup of an alternative booting the backup of an older Clover-version.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back