Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. iMac
I am using Carbon Copy Cloner to create a non-encrypted bootable back up drive (Samsung T5 500GB over USB3.1 type C) of my Catalina installation.

I copied all the EFI files from my main drive to the back up drive's EFI partition, including 'boot' file and 'EFI' folder containing Clover, Microsoft etc. However, if I try to change the boot order in the BIOS to the back up drive's EFI rather than my main internal drive's, it only detects the back up drive's Windows Boot Manager and doesn't detect Clover (UEFI OS). The internal drive's UEFI OS and WBM are shown in the boot order list as normal. I tried it with an without the 'boot' file but made no difference. When I need to boot up from the back up drive, I have to do it from another copy of Clover, e.g. in the internal drive's EFI partition.

Conversely, I did the same thing with my Install OS X 10.15.4 USB stick (USB 3.1 Type A - SanDisk ExtremeGo 64GB) and copied across the EFI folder and not the 'boot' file from my internal EFI partition (to match the existing 'EFI' folder only in the USB EFI partition installed by Unibeast) and both USB Clover (UEFI OS) and USB Windows Boot Manager are detected by the BIOS. Any ideas? TIA.

Last edited:
Anyone had this issue with Clover on an external CCC back up drive?

Edit: I had to wipe the EFI partition on the CCC back up drive and run the clover install program, then drag across the kexts, config file etc, which was then detectable by BIOS, rather than just copy and paste the entire EFI folder from the drive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back