Contribute
Register

[solved] Clover, High Sierra, and Preboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still see the preboot lines for a second. Probably it cannot be hidden totally, right?
copy this file to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64

Attachments

• apfs.efi
    559 KB · Views: 266
Hide it by listing 'Preboot' (string) in config.plist/GUI/Hide (array)

But what are they exactly?

My intuition and a search tells me a) Recovery is ... well for recovery purposes in case the main one crashes. b) VM is virtual something? c) Preboot is... before you boot? This is obviously incomplete and I would love clarification or to be pointed to some resources.

I also noticed that I only saw the VM and Preboot options in Clover boot menu after using APFS in Mojave. I only had Recovery and the main one when using HFS in High Sierra. Does that sound right?

Last edited:
But what are they exactly?

My intuition and a search tells me a) Recovery is ... well for recovery purposes in case the main one crashes. b) VM is virtual something? c) Preboot is... before you boot? This is obviously incomplete and I would love clarification or to be pointed to some resources.

I also noticed that I only saw the VM and Preboot options in Clover boot menu after using APFS in Mojave. I only had Recovery and the main one when using HFS in High Sierra. Does that sound right?

Refer to the example plists in the guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Thanks for the reply. I read through the guide and looked at the plist, but couldn't find the answers I was looking for. I think I'm more looking to understand why these VM and Preboot partitions are present and their purpose in macOS. I'm looking beyond just having a hackintosh (I'm running Mojave really smoothly), but to understand the system and maybe eventually get to a level to contribute.

Edit: also, I do google and can find references in places like r/hackintosh and insanelymac. I was just looking for an answer from this community too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I read through the guide and looked at the plist, but couldn't find the answers I was looking for.

Look at GUI/Hide section.

Look at GUI/Hide section.

Okay the section you mentioned shows how you can configure Clover to hide partitions. Technically you answered the "why" by saying the "partitions are there because you didn't hide them."

However, it doesn't answer the original question of what the purpose of the partitions are. But I don't want to take up more of your time because I know you are busy supporting a lot of guides, which is more important to this community than teaching someone how macOS works.

So for anyone else curious, the answer from a combination of ******, insanelymac, stackexhange says: VM is a virtual memory space so that apfs can perform swap, similar in function to the swap file found in linux. Preboot is a partition that manages boot and you can't boot without it. Both are new features of apfs that are not present in HFS. Anyone else free to enhance this answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back