Contribute
Register

[solved] clover failing to update

Status
Not open for further replies.
clover failing to update

Thanks to you both for trying to help me.

So Ive just checked the following.

When installing the clover update, I always have OS X volume checked (the correct volume)

After checking the mounted EFI, its disk0s1 (only way I know to confirm this is its the only EFI folder with clover log present)

in Boot folder, no Microsoft folder present.

clover failing to update

Thanks to you both for trying to help me.

So Ive just checked the following.

When installing the clover update, I always have OS X volume checked (the correct volume)

After checking the mounted EFI, its disk0s1 (only way I know to confirm this is its the only EFI folder with clover log present)

in Boot folder, no Microsoft folder present.

Inspect the files at \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.efi and \EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi.

You can also use Esc+F9 "Boot to EFI" file to try either one...

clover failing to update

I have both files that you mention, but also noticed IA32.efi files too, not noticed those before.

When you say inspect the files, what should I be doing?

I realize you have both files...

But did you inspect them to see if they are the same?

Did you try Esc+F9 "boot to EFI" then navigate to each one, just to see which Clover rev each is?

clover failing to update

Sorry mate, think I get you now..

So Ive booted with F9, EFI file, and it appears its booting from disk1s1 rather than disk0s1

Do I need two EFI folders? (only one OS X installed at present on drive 0)

How do I default to the correct EFI for boot up?

ps, even when booting from EFI file disk0s1 it still fails to update to rev 3185.. perhaps it will fix itself when I correct the default boot one?

Code:
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=-apple-system-font]disk0s1[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=-apple-system-font]
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=-apple-system-font][FONT=Verdana]\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.efi > rev 3176[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=-apple-system-font][FONT=Verdana]
[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=-apple-system-font][FONT=Verdana]\EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi > rev 3176[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=-apple-system-font]disk1s1

\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.efi > rev 2999

\EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi > rev 2999
[/FONT][/COLOR]

clover failing to update

Sorry mate, think I get you now..

So Ive booted with F9, EFI file, and it appears its booting from disk1s1 rather than disk0s1

So it goes to what I wrote way back at post #4...

Note: Assignment of bsd names to disks is not deterministic (but random or based on spinup time, first to appear online).

Do I need two EFI folders? (only one OS X installed at present on drive 0)

You do not need two installs of Clover.

How do I default to the correct EFI for boot up?

Code:
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=-apple-system-font]disk0s1[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=-apple-system-font]
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=-apple-system-font][FONT=Verdana]\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.efi > rev 3176[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=-apple-system-font][FONT=Verdana]\EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi > rev 3176[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=-apple-system-font]disk1s1

\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.efi > rev 2999

\EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi > rev 2999
[/FONT][/COLOR]

AFAIK, the HP BIOS will always boot UEFI from the main SATA port. But perhaps it can change depending on settings. I have no idea which 'disk0' or 'disk1' corresponds to which SATA port on your system (see note above about non-deterministic bsd assignment).

clover failing to update

ah now your just confusing me lol

Ok, I know that disk0 is sata 0 SSD, disk1 is the second HDD originally cd drive.

I installed OSX beta some time ago on disk1, not wanting to risk my main OS.

I would have just installed it as per the guide, I assume it automatically created a second EFI during partitioning, and clover on the same drive as the OS?

Sorry for being a bit dumb, Ive not crossed this issue before.

So If I remove the second EFI completely (can I even do that? not sure how) will the system be forced to boot from the correct one, I do I need to edit something somewhere to point it to the specific EFI folder, and ultimately correct bootx64.efi file?

just to confirm 128Gb is the SSD in normal slot, 640GB is in cd tray. OSX TEST is currently blank (no beta at present), DATA is just that, music files etc.

Code:
[FONT=Menlo]MacBook-Pro:~ Rob$ diskutil list[/FONT][FONT=Menlo]/dev/disk0[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *128.0 GB   disk0[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   2:                  Apple_HFS OSX                     127.2 GB   disk0s2[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]/dev/disk1[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *640.1 GB   disk1[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   2:                  Apple_HFS OSX TEST                101.4 GB   disk1s2[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   3:                  Apple_HFS DATA                    537.8 GB   disk1s3[/FONT]

clover failing to update

ah now your just confusing me lol

Ok, I know that disk0 is sata 0 SSD, disk1 is the second HDD originally cd drive.

Like I said, it is non-deterministic. It could easily switch the other way. The only way to know is to inspect the content (eg. "diskutil list") at each boot.

I installed OSX beta some time ago on disk1, not wanting to risk my main OS.

I would have just installed it as per the guide, I assume it automatically created a second EFI during partitioning, and clover on the same drive as the OS?

If you install Clover (or use PBI-CE) to a partition on the second disk, that's the EFI that will be updated. I already stated this in post #10.

So If I remove the second EFI completely (can I even do that? not sure how) will the system be forced to boot from the correct one, I do I need to edit something somewhere to point it to the specific EFI folder, and ultimately correct bootx64.efi file?

Removing the EFI from an EFI partition is as simple as removing the EFI folder. They are just directories/files... You'll find out soon after if the system is smart enough to boot using the other EFI on the other disk, or whether you need to make some BIOS changes.

just to confirm 128Gb is the SSD in normal slot, 640GB is in cd tray. OSX TEST is currently blank (no beta at present), DATA is just that, music files etc.

Code:
[FONT=Menlo]MacBook-Pro:~ Rob$ diskutil list[/FONT][FONT=Menlo]/dev/disk0[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *128.0 GB   disk0[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   2:                  Apple_HFS OSX                     127.2 GB   disk0s2[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]/dev/disk1[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *640.1 GB   disk1[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   2:                  Apple_HFS OSX TEST                101.4 GB   disk1s2[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   3:                  Apple_HFS DATA                    537.8 GB   disk1s3[/FONT]

And if I follow you, you're laptop is booting from the EFI on the 640GB disk (that is in the CD tray)...

You have an older version of Clover on the 640GB, and a newer version on the HDD.

You must have your boot priorities set such that it boots or the CD SATA first. Or that's just what the BIOS does (assuming it is installation media, such as a Windows DVD).

clover failing to update

Like I said, it is non-deterministic. It could easily switch the other way. The only way to know is to inspect the content (eg. "diskutil list") at each boot.

If you install Clover (or use PBI-CE) to a partition on the second disk, that's the EFI that will be updated. I already stated this in post #10
So is there a way in future to install OS X on a second drive without creating the new EFI, sharing the first one and bootx64? Or will I probably run into this issue again if running on a second disk?

Removing the EFI from an EFI partition is as simple as removing the EFI folder. They are just directories/files... You'll find out soon after if the system is smart enough to boot using the other EFI on the other disk, or whether you need to make some BIOS changes.
We'll find out right after I post this....

And if I follow you, you're laptop is booting from the EFI on the 640GB disk (that is in the CD tray)...

You have an older version of Clover on the 640GB, and a newer version on the HDD.

You must have your boot priorities set such that it boots or the CD SATA first. Or that's just what the BIOS does (assuming it is installation media, such as a Windows DVD)yes, this must be true, as its always defaulting to 2999, Ill check boot sequence before removing EFI folder and report back

clover failing to update

So is there a way in future to install OS X on a second drive without creating the new EFI, sharing the first one and bootx64? Or will I probably run into this issue again if running on a second disk?

Installing OS X has nothing to do with installing Clover. When you install Clover, you should install to a partition on the disk that has the EFI you're booting from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back