Contribute
Register

[Solved] Clover Can't boot NVMe (Installer Stage2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Z97 Extreme9
CPU
i7-4790k
Graphics
GTX 1060
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi everyone,

I am trying to upgrade my system to use my new Samsung 960 evo and upgrade to High Sierra.
After the initial boot from USB / Installer Stage, I cannot boot into my m.2 drive from clover.
Interestingly i have also observed other side effects:

- my UEFI boot selection does not work anymore (F11 / just shows black screen, so i have to select boots from the full UEFI); this only happened after I ran the High Sierra Installer (i have had the ssd installed for a week now)
- the NVMe Drive does not show up anymore in UEFI (just shows Not Installed); I checked it earlier and before partitioning this worked fine.
- but.. the NVMe Drive still shows up properly in the High Sierra Installer (Base Image) and on Windows 10

So far i checked:

- the Partitioning and the Filesystem on the NVMe Drive looks good so far (EFI Partition has files in it and they look ok)
- the Clover boot loader (UEFI Mode) logs do not mention my Samsung 960 evo or anything nvme related

The next steps I can think of:

- use Clover in Legacy Mode (+NVME efi driver)
- experiment with clover options (specifically BiosBlockIO looks interesting)
- update my Motherboard UEFI BIOS

Any recommendations / things to try out would be really helpful.

Update:
- Clover in Legacy Mode (i had to use mbr on the usb stick instead of gpt) properly shows the NVMe Drive (after roughly 30seconds of waiting), but booting the installer stage2 actually gets stuck on Apple screen without loading bar (might be unrelated)

Last edited:
I figured it out.

Simply using the NVMe efi driver did the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back