Contribute
Register

[Solved] Clover boot loader boots great sometimes and sometimes doesnt el capitan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Ga-z170-hd3
CPU
I7 6700
Graphics
Evga GeForce GTX 660
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I successfully got El Capitan and windows to dual boot but El Cap will have a kernel panic sometimes on boot and I am trying to figure out what is causing it. My build is running amazing with sound and support just like any macintosh! this kernal panic is just annoying to have happen ,any help or advice would be great.
I am running a i7 6700 Skylake, Gigabyte Ga-z170-hd3, evga nvidia geforce GTX 660

included photo of kernel panic upon boot

Looks like your FakeSMC.kext and or your HW Sensors kexts should be updated.

Looks like your FakeSMC.kext and or your HW Sensors kexts should be updated.
Thanks for the quick reply! How do I do that?

How do I do that?
Download and install.

FakeSMC.kext should be placed into /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other on the EFI partition and correctly installed into /Library/Extensions on the system disk.

HW PlugIns (if required) should be correctly installed into /Library/Extensions on the system disk.

Last edited:
Download and install.

FakeSMC.kext should be placed into /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other on the EFI partition and correctly installed into /Library/Extensions on the system disk.

HW PlugIns (if required) should be correctly installed into /Library/Extensions on the system disk.
Thanks! I will try that later when I get home, won’t be for a few hours, would I have to remove the old kexts of those first? Or will the new ones just replace those after I install them?

Thanks! I will try that later when I get home, won’t be for a few hours, would I have to remove the old nexts of those first? Or will the new ones just replace those after I install them?
The installation process should replace the existing ones with the new ones although it is your choice if you wish to remove the old ones first.

Also check /System/Library/Extensions if you have previously upgraded from older operating systems.

The installation process should replace the existing ones with the new ones although it is your choice if you wish to remove the old ones first.

Also check /System/Library/Extensions if you have previously upgraded from older operating systems.
Wow! I did what you said and updated FakeSMC and so far no boot problems! granted the kernel panic wasn't every time, so I will just have to wait and see if it happens again. The kext I had installed was from 2015. I replaced the kext in the clover kext folder and also installed it with Easykext on the system, but even after I installed it, I don't see it in /Library/Extensions... neither did I find any kexts named HWplugins in /Library/Extensions

Wow! I did what you said and updated FakeSMC and so far no boot problems! granted the kernel panic wasn't every time, so I will just have to wait and see if it happens again. The kext I had installed was from 2015. I replaced the kext in the clover kext folder and also installed it with Easykext on the system, but even after I installed it, I don't see it in /Library/Extensions... neither did I find any kexts named HWplugins in /Library/Extensions
Earlier versions of FakeSMC.kext included the HW Monitor Plugins (Sensors) inside the kext, this is no longer the case.

So hear is one more question. I am trying to have my windows 10 partition be the default partition to auto boot in clover but I have tried entering the name of the hard disk, I have tried the uuid, I’ve tried the boot path, I have even tried LastBootedVolume, and none will autoboot windows, I have only ever been able to auto boot the Mac side. I even went as far as trying to install clover on the windows side to achieve this but the efi is labeled as the gpt protective partition, and said it wasn’t connected to any volume to rename it letter e and put the files in it(as was said to do in a guide) and checking the windows EFI on Mac side just shows /efi/boot/Apple/Extensions/Firmware.scap and there is nothing for Microsoft in there but I know it’s the right efi, and this may be because I installed Windows first?

( just let me know if I’m not aloud to post this since it’s a different subject, I will take it down and start a new thread if needed)

Last edited:
So hear is one more question. I am trying to have my windows 10 partition be the default partition to auto boot in clover but I have tried entering the name of the hard disk, I have tried the uuid, I’ve tried the boot path, I have even tried LastBootedVolume, and none will autoboot windows, I have only ever been able to auto boot the Mac side. I even went as far as trying to install clover on the windows side to achieve this but the efi is labeled as the gpt protective partition, and said it wasn’t connected to any volume to rename it letter e and put the files in it(as was said to do in a guide) and checking the windows EFI on Mac side just shows /efi/boot/Apple/Extensions/Firmware.scap and there is nothing for Microsoft in there but I know it’s the right efi, and this may be because I installed Windows first?

( just let me know if I’m not aloud to post this since it’s a different subject, I will take it down and start a new thread if needed)
The 'Sticky' guides in the Multi Booting forum may help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back