Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Chimera Won't Install? Can't Boot Into Mountain Lion Partition W/O USB Unibeast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Evening gang! Recently updated my old'ish Hackintosh to Mountain Lion and finally got everything stable with the exception of one thing.

I cannot boot without the USB Unibeast inserted where as it'll give me the standard Chimera "Choose Disk" screen where I can boot into Snow Leopard. I have Windows 7 on the other partition.

When I do boot without the USB drive inserted, my computer boots directly into Windows 7 which makes me think Chimera is not installed as I don't get the standard screen I do when the USB drive is inserted.

I tried editing the default boot with Chameleon Wizard and that didn't seem to do the trick.

Any help would be amazing as this is the last bugaboo on an otherwise rock solid setup.

Thanks!
zeeebs

Chimera Won't Install? Can't Boot Into Mountain Lion Partition W/O USB Unibeast

Check the boot order of your hard drives in the bios and make sure that your Mac hard drive is plugged into SATA port 0. if you have mac and windows on the same drive, that's your problem, the OS's have a conflicting partition map and need to be on separate drives.

Evening gang! Recently updated my old'ish Hackintosh to Mountain Lion and finally got everything stable with the exception of one thing.

I cannot boot without the USB Unibeast inserted where as it'll give me the standard Chimera "Choose Disk" screen where I can boot into Snow Leopard. I have Windows 7 on the other partition.

When I do boot without the USB drive inserted, my computer boots directly into Windows 7 which makes me think Chimera is not installed as I don't get the standard screen I do when the USB drive is inserted.

I tried editing the default boot with Chameleon Wizard and that didn't seem to do the trick.

Any help would be amazing as this is the last bugaboo on an otherwise rock solid setup.

Thanks!
zeeebs

It could be boot0 issue: http://www.tonymacx86.com/25-boot0-error-official-guide.html

Both OS X and Windows are on the same drive (different partitions naturally). Will I have to wipe the Windows partition?

EDIT:

When I was running Mountain Lion, I had no problems installing Windows 7 on the 2nd partition of the drive and booting into OS X as default.

Both OS X and Windows are on the same drive (different partitions naturally). Will I have to wipe the Windows partition?

EDIT:

When I was running Mountain Lion, I had no problems installing Windows 7 on the 2nd partition of the drive and booting into OS X as default.

No just do the boot1h fix part. You've already installed using Multibeast, etc. Or at least that's what I'm assuming... that you've already installed Chimera boot loader.

I was wrong sorry I was under the impression that windows and OS X had to be on separate drives due to them needing different partition schemes, MBR for windows and the mac extended format but I found this http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2012/01/tonymacx86-public-service-announcement.html that explains the process. your problem may be the install order.

Edit:

What do you mean when you were on mountain lion? did you mean snow leopard or Lion?

Boot1h in terminal worked like a charm. Thanks for the help! Now 100% stable.

Spoke too soon. Strangely enough now my ethernet is broken entirely. Reinstalled Multibeast which worked upon restart for about 10 minutes. Now it's completely busted. Shows not connected. Any help is much appreciated.

EDIT

Scratch that, repaired permissions and we're back in business again, (for the timebeing).

Please close thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back